Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What exactly is officially official?
Official phone model etc, from Jolla, rather than guessing from the community.

Not really impressed about needing to purchase the operating system - but I've just purchased the phone.

If anyone in Sydney is looking for a brand new, in box, from retailer, jb Macquarie park has two more

The Following User Says Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
In my mind, this project is making a great progress and has an important impact. I am happy that Jolla does not get into distribution of devices. By picking up a device with the global availability, they nor us have to face logistical challenges with getting the devices.

Its also a 64-bit device. I don't know what's the current status of 64-bit devices now among ported devices, but getting SFOS ported to this architecture is a major success and we should not underestimate it. When done, it should open many current devices for all of us through the ports.

I do wonder if the port for Xperia X would be made available as a community port image / sources as well. That would allow for curious user to test SFOS before getting full version of it. If not, porters would probably know or would get help to get SFOS running on X Compact and other variants.

As for the pure ports, if you don't need Android stack, the current main problem is the absence of text prediction (jolla-xt9 is proprietary). So, would be great to get someone to work on it and get open-source solution for text predictions. Port from Ubuntu Touch, for example?

I was curious to find out that its Jolla which is porting Alien Dalvik. I thought that it was a service/product that they were buying in.

As for having to buy extra OS on the phone which came with one - that reminds me of the Windows tax. Don't think that we should blame Jolla for it (I don't remember Debian/RedHat to be cursed for Windows tax either). Let's consider the current solution as the best we can get at present with the global availability of the phones. Its much better than to smuggle phones from India without proper certification.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
As for the pure ports, if you don't need Android stack, the current main problem is the absence of text prediction (jolla-xt9 is proprietary). So, would be great to get someone to work on it and get open-source solution for text predictions. Port from Ubuntu Touch, for example?
Check out OKboard if you haven't already - continuous input /predictive keyboard for Sailfish that is fully open. I can't remember whether it does predictions for normal typing (I think it currently uses xt9 for that) but it clearly could, because it does its own predictions for continuous input. That's something open versions of Android are missing BTW - if you want CI on Android you have to use something like Swype or Swiftkey.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Also, this might be useful for people planning to buy an Xperia X (price tracking on Amazon):

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-...uct/B01ECV0Y58

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Is there a possibility to have a fully functionnal SFOS on the Xperia SP ?

The Following User Says Thank You to yanyan For This Useful Post:
no.........

The Following User Says Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Also, this might be useful for people planning to buy an Xperia X (price tracking on Amazon):

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-...uct/B01ECV0Y58
Thanks for the info. Once the price goes even lower I want to buy 3, one for use, one for back up and (pink) one for my lady to opt-out from iphone (very unlikely though)

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-07-01 at 16:34. Reason: Typo

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
...By picking up a device with the global availability, they nor us have to face logistical challenges with getting the devices. ..
Really?!!! Global AVAILABILITY??? What a joke!!

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
Originally Posted by rfa View Post
If anyone in Sydney is looking for a brand new, in box, from retailer, jb Macquarie park has two more
Afraid not!! I checked on their site.

The Following User Says Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
In my mind, this project is making a great progress and has an important impact. I am happy that Jolla does not get into distribution of devices. By picking up a device with the global availability, they nor us have to face logistical challenges with getting the devices.
which brings up the question about warranty. What if phone needs to go to the service and sailfish is flashed on it and there's no way to go back to android?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x