Notices

Background:
We have native versions of Java Standard Edition (Sun JSE Embedded / OpenJDK) to run desktop Java applications .

We could not run Java Mobile Editon apps/games (Opera Mini, Shazam etc) as you would find on other mobile phones, without MicroEmulator running on top of Java SE.
While this worked to an extent it did take a lot of CPU to run JavaSE, running a JavaME emulator, to run a Java ME app.

The ideal solution would be to have a native version of JavaME we can call from the command line like Java SE
PhoneME is the equivalent of this and has been around for a while, but compiling it is notoriously difficult, and there have been no working compiled versions of it available for N900 until now.
-------------

I have approached Davy Preuveneers who was behind the following builds for Android, Linux ARM and Windows Phone, and he has very kindly donated some time to create a Maemo/MeeGo version for the community.

Originally Posted by DavyP View Post
Just to clarify:
This is the main download website with "stable" builds:
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/10#maemo
This is the website where I upload all my builds for testing by the
community, including "unstable" ones:
http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/public/maemo/deb/
On this page, you also find older builds which could be useful to
identify between which two builds a new bug appeared.
Cheers,
Davy
Please download and test with N900 Fremantle, N9 Harmattan, and MeeGo CE / NEMO - any feedback in regard to bugs or performance issues with other mobile applications would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by [DarkGUNMAN]; 2012-05-14 at 07:03. Reason: Change thread title and add current download locations

The Following 92 Users Say Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post:
accountvip, adelalgomai, ahmadamaj, ajack, almamo, azad1top, Bad_Habit, baem90, Bahador, bingomion, bipinbn, birefringence, blackjack4it, Brian_7, C00Ler, caa, Craig_Mabbitt, Cue, DeadHorseRiding, demolition, doctorwhiz, don_falcone, draxcp6, ejasmudar, elros34, Estel, et3rnal, frostbyte, fw190, guy4ever4u, hardkorek, harry_e20000, hrbani, HtheB, ibrakalifa, imo, ivgalvez, ivyking, j0zeph, jcharpak, Jordi, Joseph9560, k0ydaika, klinglerware, kojacker, kolos, kowalski, krutznikov, Lucazz990, m750, MaddogG, Maj3stic, MaKenZi, marmistrz, meemorph, Mentalist Traceur, MJ m, mosiomm, Mr.bot, mr_jrt, Netweaver, nicholes, NightShift79, nkirk, Oblomow, patemera, pavlik, pelago, phapsubongtoi, psychologe, PUNK, ranbaxy, realist, reinob, riv64, sbock, shanttu, sifo, skricciolo1981, smartypants, smoothc, Sohil876, strange1712, theonelaw, tzsm98, unexpected, woody14619, wow23, xkkkx, zdanee, Zentenario, zimon
input method (mscim) not work

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjw6234 For This Useful Post:
ok, this might actually be really cool

thanks for sharing this

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2012-01-30 at 06:45. Reason: issue resolved

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Post updated with background information about JavaSE, JavaME and PhoneME, to explain which problem this solves for N900.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post:
[DarkGUNMAN], did you try to run Opera Mini v6.5? I tried and it crashes on start. I just replaced names of jar and jad files in opera.sh. I also tested v4.2 which works fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to kolos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
Opera is working on my N900..by testing the examples included...Woow...it is very fast...I've tried to start Skebby.jar but it can't find a PlayerListener class any hints?
I've also tried to start Whatsapp jar but it says "Illegal Protocol" because it lacks of s40 nokia libs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackjack4it For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
what does ebuddy says? can anybody try it out?
would be fine to have a messneger client running on our N9/N950's (without having to sync all the contacts in our devices)

Originally Posted by kolos View Post
[DarkGUNMAN], did you try to run Opera Mini v6.5? I tried and it crashes on start. I just replaced names of jar and jad files in opera.sh. I also tested v4.2 which works fine.
OM6.5 doesn't work on this test version as it needs addition jsr support. Thanks for testing it though. it is bloody quick

The Following User Says Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post:
anyone tried shazam

I've been asked to try and get a jar file working.
This method might work for other jar files for testing.. no guarantees since this just my own guessworkl

The command line for this is not as straightforward to get working, but reading the .sh files bundled with this it loads the modules before calling jar, then loads the main class.

The main class is named in the jar file.. this can be found by opening the jar file with a zip program.
Open 'META-MF/MANIFEST.MF' with a text editor
The file will look something like this:
Code:
Manifest-Version: 1.0
MIDlet-Vendor: Banka Koper
MIDlet-Version: 1.0.5
MIDlet-1: BankaIN,/icon_small.png,si.semantika.bkotp.j2me.BankaIn
MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
MIDlet-Name: BankaIN
MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0
The Midlet-1 line shows the icon used BankaIN,/icon_small.png, then a comma to separate the main class.. in this case si.semantika.bkotp.j2me.BankaIn
If you navigagte the file using a zip program you will find a file structure similar to this.

To get it working I edited the .sh file and saved a copy:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

$PWD/bin/cvm -Xmx12m -Dmicroedition.profiles=MIDP-2.1 -Dsun.midp.library.name=midp -Dsun.midp.home.path=$PWD/midp/midp_linux_fb_gcc -Dcom.sun.midp.mainClass.name=com.sun.midp.main.CdcMIDletSuiteLoader sun.misc.MIDPLauncher -suitepath /home/user/MyDocs/bankain.jar -1 si.semantika.bkotp.j2me.BankaIn2
If there are problems or errors with the midlet once launched will apper in the xterm. Should be able to close it using ctrl+c
Attached Images

Last edited by [DarkGUNMAN]; 2012-01-30 at 07:48.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post: