Active Topics

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Not necessarily. As long as we have staff available maintaining the services and there are projects actively using them I don't think this will be a problem.
Perhaps the best thing would be for Garage to transition to providing an integration point for all the disparate services, and some implementations of those services itself.

Or are there already good services which allow you to combine your bugzilla from x.com, with your source from gitorious.org, with your mailing lists from mailman, your wiki pages on wiki.maemo.org and a sub-forum or thread on talk.maemo.org?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There is no doubt that garage.maemo.org plays a key role in the maemo.org infrastructure. Even something as basic as registering to the website goes through there. But here we are discussing where the new work needs to focus and my only point is that I don't think garage.maemo.org needs to be in the focus. What it needs to do it does it already.

Two generic thoughts to put this discussion in a context:

- It is fair to assume that active Maemo community software projects will point their trunk development to MeeGo as soon as it becomes a stable platform with devices announced. maemo.org will not the main place to think of developer novelties.

- We should even ask ourselves whether Maemo/MeeGo are the places to host project infrastructure in the future. Maemo has such an specific API that it almost becomes an upstream of itself. However, MeeGo takes as a reference the Qt API that is by no means unique to MeeGo. The likeliness of projects choosing MeeGo as primary target but not the only one is high (Ubuntu etc for netbooks, Symbian etc for mobile...)

In this context I think that it makes sense to keep the investment in garage.maemo.org at a maintenance level and move the attention for new features and resources to whatever exists already, is free of charge, free software friendly and well maintained. If there are gaps then the MeeGo project would be the default candidate to fill it.

Looking at the list of services posted by Jaffa it is clear that we are almost there already:

- Website hosting, blogs and documents: developers are increasingly using wiki.maemo.org (and in the future probably wiki.meego.com) and/or wordpress.com or another free blog services. If someone has more demanding needs then the chances are that these needs also hit the limits of our hosting service, and web hosting is quite inexpensive these days anyway.

- Version control: several alternatives for git, svn can be found at least at Sourceforge and Google Code, you can even use Launchpad's Bazaar if you wish.

- Bug tracking: maemo.org already has a preference to use bugs.maemo.org. There hasn't been a discussion about this in the meego.com context but I just added a proposed task at http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Offi..._committed_yet. Right now I'm busy with the MeeGo release, if you want to start this discussion in forum.meego.com you are welcome!

- Mailing lists: probably a real gap, although it would be interesting to see how many active mailing lists are there currently in garage.maemo.org. Seeing all the discussions about mailing list vs forum sometimes I think we should go for Usenet with their well tested web & mail gateways. Anyway, discussions usually go around the current development and last stable versions, and soon these will happen more in the MeeGo context. I just added a proposed task at http://wiki.meego.com/Community_Offi..._committed_yet. Right now I'm busy with the MeeGo release, if you want to start this discussion in forum.meego.com you are welcome!

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
There is no doubt that garage.maemo.org plays a key role in the maemo.org infrastructure. Even something as basic as registering to the website goes through there. But here we are discussing where the new work needs to focus and my only point is that I don't think garage.maemo.org needs to be in the focus. What it needs to do it does it already.
Well, apart from looking crap. No-one's actually proposed any in-depth work on it, yet, though. And such proposals would still have to get through the prioritisation meeting at the end of this brainstorm.

- It is fair to assume that active Maemo community software projects will point their trunk development to MeeGo as soon as it becomes a stable platform with devices announced. maemo.org will not the main place to think of developer novelties.
Well, unless you're willing to go on the record saying one or more of the following, we can't go on that assumption when looking at what to do with the Maemo community.
  1. Anyone who's ever bought a Maemo device will be offered an equivalent MeeGo device for free, or nominal cost.
  2. The people productively driving the Maemo community (however that's defined, let's say karma > 100) will be offered a top-of-the-range MeeGo device for free, or nominal cost.
  3. The N8x0 and N900 will be able to run MeeGo to such a high quality that practically no-one will use Maemo anymore (except, perhaps, 770 owners); with no loss of functionality.

The only reason to believe that Maemo developers will decamp to being MeeGo developers is that everyone will actually decamp to being Qt developers. This then depends on Qt applications being massively cross-platform, and the (assumed) wealth of them for MeeGo being trivially portable to Maemo.

However, who does that porting? Who does the packaging? Who does the testing, and where do people discuss the foibles of the Maemo implementation? Where do they store the debian/ directory for a Qt app written for MeeGo (RPM), Symbian (SIS still?) or Windows?

Yes, MeeGo's coming; but in the scope of this brainstorm we don't know yet what the impact will be on Maemo. The point of it is that we shouldn't spend the next 6, 9 or 12 months thinking "well, anytime soon MeeGo's going to torpedo us". Some of the features being proposed, such as the donation framework for Downloads, are also things which we could offer the MeeGo community and have benefit there.

Perhaps Garage isn't one of them, but the other point of this brainstorm is to ensure that in 6 months things can go into maintenance mode if necessary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Here I agree. Garage has been a fairly low maintenance, reliable service for a long time. Don't poke at it without a good reason. And if such reasons come up, Ferenc knows where to poke.

Two generic thoughts to put this discussion in a context:

- We should even ask ourselves whether Maemo/MeeGo are the places to host project infrastructure in the future. Maemo has such an specific API that it almost becomes an upstream of itself. However, MeeGo takes as a reference the Qt API that is by no means unique to MeeGo. The likeliness of projects choosing MeeGo as primary target but not the only one is high (Ubuntu etc for netbooks, Symbian etc for mobile...)
I fail to see how those two relate to the topic. MeeGo is MeeGo and discussed somewhere else.

Tags
brainstorm, community, maemo