Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
i have a question about the Meego project for the N900...

will u use emulation for multi touch?

with that i mean for example using:
1.one finger to cover the "Proximity Sensor" and with the other finger swipe left and right - to zoom in and out. ...a mirror swipe is emulated on the opposite side of the screen when the proximity sensor is covered
2. """"" "Proximity Sensor" and with the other finger tap - to make a double finger tap (at the position u tap).
3. """"" "Proximity Sensor and with the other finger swipe "up+left" at the same time - to rotate.
4. """"" "Proximity Sensor and with the other finger swipe up for etc....
5. """"" "Proximity Sensor and with the other finger swipe, starting in the center of the screen - emulates 2 fingers swiping in the same direction for scrolling.
6. covering the Proximity Sensor (and uncovering it again) without tapping the screen enters custom mode and records up to 3 taps/swipes and activates them simultanously next time the sensor is covered...

i guess u've already thought about this idea... but maybe there are some problems im not thinking of... maybe the proximity sensor is dependent on proper light levels in the room???

the advantage is that u wont need to rewrite every single program to get them 100% compatible with single-touch. but i guess it will be complicated creating a feature like this (drivers and such).

god bless nokia for adding a proximity sensor to the n900 - its like they've thought about the multi touch possibilities before hand. but i guess a hardware key would do the trick as well (but no need to sacrifice one now).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S0urcerr0r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
About MeeGo 1.0 Core release for N900

It does NOT include

- Mobile UI/UX (N900 will boot to Xterm)
- Reference Applications

It is intended for MeeGo developers for development purposes, and

- has practically NO value for end users
- has little value for MeeGo application developers.

Please do NOT install it if you don't know what you need it for.

For mor in formation, pls. see
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900

Br,
//Harri

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=S0urcerr0r;681468]i have a question about the Meego project for the N900...

Frankly, we are not there yet, and have not discussed about this as far as I know. If you are willing to implement something like that please join to project.

Everybody should understand, that the whole MeeGo project has practically just started and we have to play catchup to even get to same level than Maemo 5 and Harmattan.

We have lot's of code that we can reuse from both of those, and we are trying to do that in as intelligent and efficient way than we can, but still it takes lots of time and energy.

Br,
//Harri

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Harri:
Thanks! excellent answers!
do u know where we stand from a Drivers perspective?
1. will the unofficial release of Meego for N900 be able to use all hardware incl powervr graphics, sound, wlan, bluetooth and phone hardware - or are there some closed source drivers that this project will be unable to utilize?
2. will nokia provide the Meego project (N900) with newer driver revisions for the SGX535? i guess drivers are developed behind closed doors so it will probably decide quite a bit about N900 performance if these drivers become available.

The Following User Says Thank You to S0urcerr0r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by S0urcerr0r View Post
Harri:
do u know where we stand from a Drivers perspective?
1. will the unofficial release of Meego for N900 be able to use all hardware incl powervr graphics, sound, wlan, bluetooth and phone hardware - or are there some closed source drivers that this project will be unable to utilize?

2. will nokia provide the Meego project (N900) with newer driver revisions for the SGX535? i guess drivers are developed behind closed doors so it will probably decide quite a bit about N900 performance if these drivers become available.
Some of the drivers use/load closed firmware blobs to chips, and we are currently figuring out what is best way to re-distribute those for MeeGo purposes.

For now those are provided from Nokia owned prepository in tablets-dev.nokia.com

We are already using latest possible SGX drivers (from Harmattan project). The same will apply for many other drivers as well, like modem stack/ audio drivers.

Br,
//Harri

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by S0urcerr0r View Post
i have a question about the Meego project for the N900...

1.one finger to cover the "Proximity Sensor" and with the other finger swipe left and right - to zoom in and out. ...a mirror swipe is emulated on the opposite side of the screen when the proximity sensor is covered
2. """"" "Proximity Sensor" and with the other finger tap - to make a double finger tap (at the position u tap).
3. """"" "Proximity Sensor and with the other finger swipe "up+left" at the same time - to rotate.
4. """"" "Proximity Sensor and with the other finger swipe up for etc....
5. """"" "Proximity Sensor and with the other finger swipe, starting in the center of the screen - emulates 2 fingers swiping in the same direction for scrolling.
6. covering the Proximity Sensor (and uncovering it again) without tapping the screen enters custom mode and records up to 3 taps/swipes and activates them simultanously next time the sensor is covered...
Very good ideas btw!

You could start a new thread to [Brainstorm] to suggest someone implementing these, like Fennec folks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
thanks harrihakulinen and zimon for the answers

zimon:
yes. its also good that u mentioned it here so that developers knows that it is a big request (...and maybe other ppl can click thanks on mine or harri's reply post so it doesnt hog the thread too much). i really hope thats how it will be done to preserve compatibility with as many Meego apps as possible.

the proximity sensor acts a little bit laggy in some games/phoneapp. but maybe its due to the game itself. or maybe it have a little delay in updating its state, to limit "noise" (so the state doesnt jump back and forth)...
anyway, this feature is almost a must, no matter of a little lag, for a fully compatible meego distribution...

im gonna check out that brainstorm and see if i can make a more proper post

even though im a really bad programmer atm i will also check out the Meego SDK and see if it is something i could pull out with time.
although i think it must be done at "Driver level" to ensure full compatibility with apps/games communicating directly with the driver, bypassing the OS default inputs - and that will probably require coding ARM assembler, an area where im currently totally lost...

Last edited by S0urcerr0r; 2010-05-29 at 03:20.

excellent thread,,God bless you all developers who are trying to pull Meego on N900

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
horay! I'll help with the language pack if possoble. I can provide a whole UI translation to Khmer

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 214 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cape town
Originally Posted by harrihakulinen View Post
We are already using latest possible SGX drivers (from Harmattan project). The same will apply for many other drivers as well, like modem stack/ audio drivers.
So if I understand correctly, the Meego base release should have 3D acceleration, and these newer drivers should expose Vsync?

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7459
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7459#c3