Hello forumers,

Just encountered a problem. Was updating my applications on N810 (Diablo), and When I was installing an update an error came up I think it was Not enough space at target location. Now, when I go into the Application Manager, whenever I try anything e.g Show installed applications, browse installable applications and check for updates, nothing is listed.

Here is the log from the Application Manager.

hildon-application-manager 2.1.19.1
apt-worker exited.
apt-worker: can't truncate lock /var/lib/hildon-application-manager/apt-worker-lock: No space left on device
read: Bad file descriptor
apt-worker is not running

All I want is to get some functionality from the application manager so I can free up space from my device memory e.g fennec and xulrunner (40mb!)

Thanks for any help as always.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I had something like that a while back. I can't remember the exact details, but I had to open up the terminal to fix it. I poked around and found that I somehow had one of my Maemo Mapper repositories set to store maps in the applications area, and it had filled up. Manually deleting the maps solved the problem.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings Tehforum:

That is exactly the same log information I get on my N800.

Could it be possible that a virus has infected the Application Manager?

Regards Robert

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Finland
Ouch. First and foremost, I'm not sure how this situation should be dealt with on Maemo so take my ramblings with grain of salt and proceed at your own peril. In any case, I'd start by rebooting the device and then trying to running application manager to "check for updates". Rebooting may delete some temporary files and free just enough space to resolve the issue. These files can be deleted without rebooting the device but rebooting is the easiest method to explain.

If that simple snake-oil remedy won't work and you feel adventurous and lucky, well, here's what I'd do on full-blown Debian installation. Note that you'll have to close Application Manager to run the commands on the terminal. If you read beyond this point you can only blame yourself if you get yourself into even worse trouble. ;-) Actually, if you can show your device to someone familiar with Debian ask him. He should know how to resolve this.

- Open terminal
- Check apt's cache size: du -sh /var/cache/apt/archives
- If there's anything at all in the cache, empty the cache as root: rm /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb

After this there should be free disk space for apt and dpkg to play with. On Maemo, I'd then try to "check for updates" again. If this would still return errors (check the log), here's how I would continue on command line (after closing Application Manager):

- Try to configure partiall installed packages: dpkg --configure --pending

If Application Manger still won't work:

- Have apt-get to fix the installation: apt-get -f install

Be warned that "apt-get -f install" may do seemingly unexpected things such as install and/or remove packages.

Last edited by wnd; 2009-10-12 at 13:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RobMtl007 View Post
Could it be possible that a virus has infected the Application Manager?
As the error message says this situation is reached when the root filesystem is completely full. Of course a virus could do this but that's not very likely.

Oh, I forgot one important thing. Since the user's files are also located in the root file system, you may be able to resolve this by simply moving some of the user's files to a memory card. You should be able to do this with File manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to wnd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I've run into that a few times. The internal memory is full (data or applications). I always found that a reboot fixed the problem (like wnd said).

After this the Application Manager should show everything, and you'll be able to remove some programs to free memory if needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:
Yup, just needed a reboot. However, I always refrain from rebooting because shutting down, and turning on takes up a lot of power, it's better if you just leave it on all the time, rather than switch it off when not needed.
How simple!

Thanks everyone.

i;ve got the same problem but on n900
after installing some apps i got error not enough memory in target location and couldn't install anything
so rebooted
after that app manager stopped showing any apps installed
here's log:
hildon-application manager 2.2.35-3
write:broken pipe
apt-worker exited
apt-worker: can't truncate lock /var/lib/hildon-application-manager/apt-worker-lock: no space left on device

and cannot uninstall anything
i understand that somehow app manager installed the apps on root and filled it up - guessing only (i'm a windows user)

tried deleting folders and files but nothing works
downloading flash file..

still hesitate to use wnd solution - in case breaking something further

any help greatly appreciated

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by bald.eagle.one View Post
i;ve got the same problem but on n900
after installing some apps i got error not enough memory in target location and couldn't install anything
so rebooted
after that app manager stopped showing any apps installed
here's log:
hildon-application manager 2.2.35-3
apt-worker exited
apt-worker: can't truncate lock /var/lib/hildon-application-manager/apt-worker-lock: no space left on device

and cannot uninstall anything
i understand that somehow app manager installed the apps on root and filled it up - guessing only (i'm a windows user)

tried deleting folders and files but nothing works
downloading flash file..

still hesitate to use wnd solution - in case breaking something further

any help greatly appreciated

I had the same problem

I solved it by going to xterminal to the root:
cd /

there were 2 log files from Fring and a xml file from omweather. I deleted those 3 files and app manager works again.

hope u can solve it like i did with my N900