Active Topics

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Or you can simply buy TMobile SIM card and continue using TMobile instead of AT&T. Can't you?
Well, for those areas that *have* t-mobile 3g coverage..sure. But over time, they'll fill in the gaps. I'm lucky to have pretty decent coverage where I'm at so I did indeed switch providers in preparation for the N900 (and I managed to save a decent chunk per month in the process).

Originally Posted by fms View Post
Or you can simply buy TMobile SIM card and continue using TMobile instead of AT&T. Can't you?
You know, I would use T-Mobile if not for two reasons.

1. Coverage. I travel a decent amount and while T-Mobile is catching up, it's still quite a bit worse than AT&T.

2. Building penetration was noticeably worse with T-Mobile when I had it and unless they've started going for denser cell sites, it's not going to get better. The fact that both their GSM and 3G bands are mostly up there in the spectrum will continue to be a hurdle (1700,1900, & 2100 MHz although I'm not sure if they have any 850Mhz).

They had pretty good customer service (far better than AT&T *cough*Cingular*cough*) and the plans were and continue to be great value. But what good is all of that when I can't use it half the time, right?

I really hate the state of the cellular industry in the US.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
TMo builds its network more densely with more capacity, a product of its higher frequencies and penetrating buildings, which is harder for higher frequencies. Their 3G buildout has been fierce, and new markets are added almost weekly. It is getting pretty good for the major markets, and getting better across the board.

Originally Posted by BadMojoUT View Post
1. Coverage. I travel a decent amount and while T-Mobile is catching up, it's still quite a bit worse than AT&T.
If that supposed buyout of Sprint actually happens it could really change that around quite a bit. I would love to see that happen. I'm a t-mobile faithful and would like to see them squeak into the top 3.

Originally Posted by BadMojoUT View Post
I really hate the state of the cellular industry in the US.
Agreed.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I have always wanted Sprint and Tmo to merge, but unless the MiFi model grows, it will be hard to do with the GSM and CDMA issue.

I have a long standing idea of having a watch that does the network connectivity, and the device using the watch to get the voice and data connection over wifi or another mechanism, all converted into the proper frequencies. Then there would be no incompatible networks, just watches.

hey all,

This is my first thread here so thought i would start off with a bang!!!

I went to my local Tmobile store today and was inquiring on the new phones coming up. He mentioned the regulars: Samsung Behold, Motorola Cliq (he had a working model so played around with it for a while) etc.... These were expected to come out shortly...

When i asked about the n900 he said he has been told that they are not expecting to see it till Jan 2010!!!!

Anyone else heard about this!!!! It puts a major dent in my plans

Adam

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
That's only 2 months after they ship to people who are waiting for their pre-order... Not so bad is it?

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
yes. january is the expectation.

The N900 has been confirmed officially for T-mobile?

No it hasn't. I still think its just a speculation because it supports Tmobile 3G band.