Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by llelectronics View Post
Yeah had that also.
I updated the apk and it is in Jolla Harbour verification process right now.
I don't think it will be approved today or tomorrow. Maybe the day after tomorrow.
(I guess they still have people there working until the end of the year)

As for now if you need it you can also install it from here:
https://app.box.com/s/0l48h01j368u43e7shfiwghld4dt9f9b

Btw. this is a big update as it includes the renaming to Signal. (originally upstream merged RedPhone and TextSecure to Signal)

This means generally you have also encrypted call support. But it crashes on me here. Might be that it needs some upstream approval after several days on the server for it to work though.
Thanks! Just tried this out of curiosity (never used TextSecure/Signal before) and I get stuck on the SMS verification (even if I try the calling procedure, Signal crashes soon afterward). Does this version also have the SMS verification skip implemented?

EDIT: To expand on why the calling procedure doesn't work - yes, it calls, gives me the code, but when I type the code back in the app, iy crashes. Every time. It demands the registration all over again on the next start. Doesn't matter if I have background services allowed for the app or not.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-11-23 at 17:34.

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Calling procedure worked well for me.

Yes SMS verification skip is built in. The crash normally should not be one. It is trying to reload itself but alien dalvik does not support this. Though it should start without the registration process on next start.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following User Says Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
@llelectronics: Thank you for the update and providing the APK due to "frozen" Jolla store.

I still want to learn more about, how Signal works, but tried your port already out. How do calls work? Whenever I click the call icon, the Jolla UI asks me to start a regular call over chosen number. Unfortunately I don't have any contacts yet (!) using signal.

Does Signal on Jolla start calls over data connection whenever the other user has Signal installed as well? How does it work on Jolla?

Thanks for your help and sorry if I ask stupid questions ;-)

Originally Posted by caprico View Post

Does Signal on Jolla start calls over data connection whenever the other user has Signal installed as well? How does it work on Jolla?

Thanks for your help and sorry if I ask stupid questions ;-)
Yes it works over the data connection. Either wifi or LTE/3G/GPRS
Both contacts need to be registered at the Server (basically done the registration process at the beginning).
And both need to have a version supporting it.

If you have contacts that already are on Signal there might be still a bug on the Jolla Edition (basically due to AlienDalvik) that do not group contacts that have Signal and those who don't.
So clicking on a contact basically and seeing if the text box to send a text shows SMS or Signal Message helps here to distinguish them. From the textchat you can also create an encrypted call by pressing the call button on the top right.

Donate using Liberapay

The Following User Says Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post:
@llelectronics: Thank you for this fantastic answer, appreciate it a lot. I'll try it out as soon as I made one of my collegues install the application :-)

Thanks for the fast reply and much more thanks for the fast providing of a new working Textsecure/Signal App.

Works great

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Great app indeed!

Will we see a port to Sailfish somewhere in the future?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
First of all: Thanks for providing the apk here - I'm very happy with it.

Is there any progress on getting the App into the Jolla Store? Will it take so long for future updates as well?

The beta of the new Signal Chrome App is now available. You can also compile it yourself (German Tutorial).
It seems like you have to scan a QR-Code from Signal-Desktop and have to open a link in the QR: tsdevice:/someRandomHash

Will that work with the Jolla-Version of Signal?

Edit: Nevermind. Checked with an Android Device: You just have to go to devices in the Signal-settings and scan the QR-Code directly from the app.

Greetings

Last edited by hasdf; 2015-12-09 at 10:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to hasdf For This Useful Post:
Is there any progress on getting the App into the Jolla Store?
Still listed as QA. I think it will take some time. But I am sure it will be approved

Donate using Liberapay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llelectronics For This Useful Post: