I've had this pretty much since diablo was released but I feel I need to upgrade now. The problem is that my N800 tablet will not run diablo correctly. I have flashed the device numerous times to no avail.
Here is what happens.
  • Flashing always completes successfully.
  • The Tablets then reboots
  • The booting process starts as normal
  • Then most of the time either a lifeguard reset is triggered and the device reboots or..
  • The desktop loads but either the gui is corrupted or the tablet resets after a while.
  • Flashing back to chinnok and everything works out of the box.

I am utterly frustrated because I simply cannot find the underlying cause.
I have changed, usb cables, memory cards, batteries but it has no effect whatsoever. I doubt the device hardware is faulty as the chinook works ok. I hope someone will be able to shed light or offer a solution. Thanks a lot in advance.

Additionaly, I have noticed that my N800 will start the flashing process regardles of the home button being held during the power up phase or not. Sadly I do not know if that is normal since I have no other device to compare with.

Try flashing it with "--enable-rd-mode --set-rd-flags=no-lifeguard-reset". Also (just checking) are you flashing RX-34_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin (from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php) and have you checked that its md5sum matches the published one?

I did all that, I have also tried to use usb networking and ssh server to monitor the boot process but it did not yield any useful information (random parts of boot process failing). I am not sure, perhaps I need to have the device cold flashed but then again will it change anything ? I don't know.

If you can get Diablo running long enough, look at the output of dmesg in case it contains any hints. Another thing to try might be to flash a slightly earlier version and if that works do an SSU update to the current one.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by spirytsick View Post
Additionaly, I have noticed that my N800 will start the flashing process regardles of the home button being held during the power up phase or not. Sadly I do not know if that is normal since I have no other device to compare with.
If I understand you correctly, then I will say this is very not normal.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
If I understand you correctly, then I will say this is very not normal.
All guides to flashing say: (linux flasher)

start flasher as root .

Once the flasher is waiting for the usb device.

one need to hold the home button and then power up the device.

The flashing then will start.

In case of my N800 i only need to power up the device. The flasher then begins flashing.

Once again, don't know if this is normal.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
In case of my N800 i only need to power up the device. The flasher then begins flashing.

Once again, don't know if this is normal.
If the USB cable is in and you power up the tablet, then it will wait in USB mode automatically.
Only thing I can think of (and I may be talking out of my *** here) is that your flash is slightly damaged and it only shows when installing Diablo because the partition tables, for the flash, are modified and 2MB is given to the initfs and the rootfs' space gets decreased by 2MB. By shifting back 2MB, some files are getting installed in an area where the flash is dodgy.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-05-30 at 10:26. Reason: Grammar/Spelling >.<

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
If you can get Diablo running long enough, look at the output of dmesg in case it contains any hints. Another thing to try might be to flash a slightly earlier version and if that works do an SSU update to the current one.
I have tried that, there are no error messages, just normal log entries.

I have also done the following:

1. Unpacked rootfs from the flash image
2. Mounted it on ubuntu
3. Cloned it to the memory card (already partitioned)
4. Was able to boot from flash for long enoug to be able to install bootmenu.

booting from the card worked ok but after few restarts it stopped working.

I am attaching the dmesg and 'ps aux' output from the boot attempt (from sd card)

BTW... disable-lifeguard-resets switch does not help. the device will simply stop loading (os still works though as I am able to ssh over wifi but desktop does not work) displaying either nokia screen or white screen.

/var/lib/dsme/lifeguard* files output below:

lifeguard_resets:
Code:
usr/bin/hildon-desktop  :  10 
/usr/bin/hildon-input-method  : 1 
/usr/sbin/ke-recv :  11 
/usr/bi
and lifeguard_restarts:

Code:
/usr/bin/hildon-desktop  :  10 
/usr/bin/hildon-input-method  : 1 
/usr/sbin/ke-recv :  11 
/usr/bin/matchbox-window-manager -theme echo -use_titlebar yes -use_desktop_mode plain -use_lowlight no -use_cursor yes -use_dialog_mode static -use_super_modal yes :  2 
/usr/sbin/multimediad  : 1 
/sbin/mce --force-syslog  : 1 
/usr/bin/systemui :  10 
/usr/bin/mediaplayer-engine :  10 
/usr/bin/metalayer-crawler -F :  2 *
Attached Files
File Type: txt DMESG.TXT (15.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: txt PS.TXT (3.7 KB, 108 views)

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
If the USB cable is in and you power up the tablet, then it will wait in USB mode automatically.
Only thing I can think of (and I may be talking out of my *** here) is that your flash is slightly damaged and it only shows when installing Diablo because the partition tables, for the flash, are modified and 2MB is given to the initfs and the rootfs' space gets decreased by 2MB. By shifting back 2MB, some files are getting installed in an area where the flash is dodgy.
It has crossed my mind too but it does not explain why it runs sometimes and also why it has problem running from the memory card as well.

I might investigate flashing it back to chinook and then prepare a diablo versioned kernel and initfs with enough stuff removed to fit into the smaller initfs and kernel space. But I haven't got too much spare time on my hands atm.

The Following User Says Thank You to spirytsick For This Useful Post:
I have tried that, there are no error messages, just normal log entries.
That's missing the first second or so, which may contain interesting flash initialisation messages. There's an init script attached to bug 2770 that captures dmesg as early as possible.

This entry looks suspicious however:
Code:
[    1.250000] Empty flash at 0x001d88e0 ends at 0x001d9000
Never seen that on mine. That area seems to be in the config partition, which you can't flash AFAIK, but 0xFFFF will let you dump it at least.

Do your /proc/partitions & /proc/mtd looks like this?

Code:
major minor  #blocks  name

31     0        128 mtdblock0
  31     1        384 mtdblock1
  31     2       2048 mtdblock2
  31     3       4096 mtdblock3
  31     4     255488 mtdblock4
Code:
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00020000 00020000 "bootloader"
mtd1: 00060000 00020000 "config"
mtd2: 00200000 00020000 "kernel"