Active Topics

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
rather suspect he was disappointed by posters branding TROLL all over the place without ever addressing the issue of the post(s).
namely the deafening silence of the Council.
EDITED: My post was meant as a practical joke on qole's post about ignoring members. Reminds me of re-twitted messages.

Council is insignificant entity compared to the Linux Foundation, as long as they depend on funding from one of the members. I mean no dis-respect, and I appreciate both the members and motivation, I am simply stating the fact.

I would prefer a community based distro for mobile devices. The only problem is that hardware vendors will not allow it, since it does not fit their ecosystem-strategies. They simply denies us open source drivers, or ability to write them independently.

[ConspiracyTheory]The unpublicised idea of Linux Foundation is to box-in everything.[/ConspiracyTheory]

The problem with Linux, is that over the time it was subtly stolen from us. Remember the beginnings and the motivation behind GNU/Linux os.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-03 at 17:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
[...]

[ConspiracyTheory]The unpublicised idea of Linux Foundation is to box-in everything.[/ConspiracyTheory]

The problem with Linux, is that over the time it was subtly stolen from us. Remember the beginnings and the motivation behind GNU/Linux os.
there is no free lunch, remember?
maybe a free beer, but not the lunch, nope
why do we get free Linux / GNU on our PCs?
again, Novell / SuSE or RedHat need openSUSE / Fedora to maintain existing features or develop new ones.
Novell's fate proves how difficult that can be and it is not like RedHat is thriving, neither.
well, can't blame (open-)SuSE for Novell's demise. Novell has been on a lost positions since m$ took over corporate LANs and WANs. but SuSE's acquisition by Novell in the 1st place is the actual indication that surviving solely by providing free software... isn't a good business model, nope

but if RedHat or Novell were treating their communities like NOKIA... i guess "Hanlon's razor" applies here too. NOKIA isn't mean, they have simply no clue how to manage a community of developers.

[EDIT]: or how to develop software and hardware in parallel
mind yourself, hw companies like IBM or HP don't have a free OS. the OSes come licensed pretty heavily and that's why both are on the LF comity too
both need to support their HW on Linux / GNU too & adapt their SW & services (aka.........................
YES ecosystem) to it.
[/EDIT]

alas

so the openSUSE / Fedora model is out.
it will be up to the community (council, anyone?) to lead the charge

Last edited by misterc; 2011-08-03 at 18:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
there is no free lunch, remember?
maybe a free beer, but not the lunch, nope
Let's think about reverse situation community based application developed for nokia distribution?

Free lunch for Nokia?
Definitely!!!
Bon Appetit!

Let's think about reverse situation community based application developed for nokia distribution?

Free lunch for Nokia?
Definitely!!!
Bon Appetit!
free software market, yup
strange Elop with all his e-c-o-s-y-s-t-e-m hype doesn't value that more, no?

have you any idea what they drink in Espoo?
trust me, if you had that stuff for free, you'd have a hard time even putting on a pair of rubber boots ¦-))))))))))))))

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by qole View Post
By the way, folks, if there's someone whose frequent posts bother you, and who doesn't seem to contribute to any of the threads that they post in, you can click on their name, choose "View public profile", click on the "user lists" drop-down, and choose "add to ignore list". This makes all the posts by that user turn into little one sentence blurbs: "This message is hidden because username is on your ignore list."

I only wish this option would hide any posts that quote or refer to that person, as well. Sadly, you still have to skip over all of the gluttons for punishment who try to talk sense into the person that you've ignored.
Just put the other person on your ignore list as well, it is most of the time just one who is replying and quoting this person.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
According to: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/members :
Linux foundation members:
Platinum:
  • Fujitsu
  • Hitachi
  • IBM
  • Intel
  • NEC
  • Oracle
  • Qualcomm (QUIC)

Gold:
  • AMD
  • China Mobile
  • Cisco
  • Etri
  • Google
  • HP
  • Motorola
  • NetAPP
  • Nokia
  • Novell
  • Panasonic
  • Toyota

Silver:
skipped

This remainds me of ISO committees. It's there to facilitate open international standards, but over the time the organisation was infested with big corporations and interest groups. They pay big money for sitting in the committees which work on standards, vote on the them and publish them.

This kind of system allows members to influence standars and maintain awareness of developments.

Is there any place for community there?
NO

This kind of organization is not for small companies or communities.

The decision is not surprising, all of the members have significant patent portfolios and long history of patent fights.

Do they want community?
NO, their goal is to marginalise organisations such as FSF.

My guess is that several of the for-mentioned entities have created informal interest group which has pushed this decision.

Similar things happened in past with OASIS standard.

Think about entrusting wolves with the well being of a sheep.

Meee, Meeee.....
I couldn't say it better myself, well I probably could but that's beside the point

However, this will still be of great benefit for communities and small companies. Everything is still available and it is being taken very good care of, nothing is gone.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Just put the other person on your ignore list as well, it is most of the time just one who is replying and quoting this person.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Are their any notes, updates to when any movements on this might happen and if this affects the Nokia N9's release?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
By the way, folks, if there's someone whose frequent posts bother you, and who doesn't seem to contribute to any of the threads that they post in, you can click on their name, choose "View public profile", click on the "user lists" drop-down, and choose "add to ignore list". This makes all the posts by that user turn into little one sentence blurbs: "This message is hidden because username is on your ignore list."

I only wish this option would hide any posts that quote or refer to that person, as well. Sadly, you still have to skip over all of the gluttons for punishment who try to talk sense into the person that you've ignored.
I think that encouraging people to ignore others is a horrible idea -- communication is hard enough without confusion over who is actually seeing which messages are at hand. In one extreme case, I think banning is the better option.

Besides, everyone reading these messages has spent most of a lifetime watching tv filled with commercials -- what's the matter, you haven't had enough practice filtering out messages you don't want to receive?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
What? No Diablo support? I am APPALLED, Sir!

Maemo 2011... it's just like Maemo 2008, now! heh... welcome to the Maemo dead-end party, N900'ers! The rest of us have been waiting for you.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down