Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
MeeGo is RPM based and well, Diablo isn't.
Ok, I know this. This doesn't mean deb packages can not be created.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I suppose you mean Qt - the issue is that you can compile the ’base’ Qt, but we don’t have the necessary patches to utilize hardware acceleration and system integration. In other words, it would sort-of work, but it would be slow and feel very much out of place (it would be worse than Qt4.5 on Diablo as is, would feel more like you’re in Easy Debian or sorts).
Then the question is the same. Which task is more feasible: 1. Make from MeeGo on N8x0 something useful for the users or 2. see what is required for the hardware acceleration of Qt (the system integration is optional).

I think 2. is easier than 1. and it is also more feasible. After Mer I have some doubts that anything usable will come from 'MeeGo_on_N8x0'. If the libraries are ported (or at least Qt) then it should be very easy to port the applications.

What kind of work is required in order to make Qt accelerated? Is it slow because of the missing 3D? Is there something different in the X environment of MeeGo and that of Diablo that makes these libraries accelerated on MeeGo and slow on Diablo? Isn't it on both places the same good old X?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Fontus View Post
If the libraries are ported (or at least Qt) then it should be very easy to port the applications.

What kind of work is required in order to make Qt accelerated? Is it slow because of the missing 3D? Is there something different in the X environment of MeeGo and that of Diablo that makes these libraries accelerated on MeeGo and slow on Diablo? Isn't it on both places the same good old X?
You are free to do the work to support Qt4.6/7 for OS2008 in the Community SSU project or in diablo extras.

This MeeGo hardware adaptation work is to be able to support a modern stack on top of the N8x0 and keep it maintained. MeeGo isn't just Qt. It is a lot of middleware and newer kernels, new libc6 etc. As well as applications built towards this mix. Hint: our kernel and libc6 on Diablo would cause most apps not to run in their binary ARMv5 form. And those are not easily upgrade-able.

We could be doing backports from now on to the end of time for no good benefit to patchwork on top of a dead-end OS. Not going to do that, personally.

Now, can we get back on topic? This is an effort to provide a hardware adaptation for N8x0 for MeeGo, nothing more, nothing less.

After Mer I have some doubts that anything usable will come from 'MeeGo_on_N8x0'.
Right, please go take this issue up in my review thread instead. This is a place for development.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-05-16 at 20:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Bulgaria
You are free to do the work to support Qt4.6/7 for OS2008 in the Community SSU project or in diablo extras.
Your point?

This MeeGo hardware adaptation work is to be able to support a modern stack on top of the N8x0 and keep it maintained. MeeGo isn't just Qt. It is a lot of middleware and newer kernels, new libc6 etc. As well as applications built towards this mix.
Yes, it is a lot of things. But my question was different.

Hint: our kernel and libc6 on Diablo would cause most apps not to run in their binary ARMv5 form. And those are not easily upgrade-able.
I'd appreciate if you can give some details about this... Really - this would be useful.

We could be doing backports from now on to the end of time for no good benefit to patchwork on top of a dead-end OS. Not going to do that, personally.
I wish Diablo was a dead-end OS because this would mean there was an alternative and better OS. As long as it has users it is not a dead-end.

Now, can we get back on topic? This is an effort to provide a hardware adaptation for N8x0 for MeeGo, nothing more, nothing less.
And I proposed and easier way to provide the users with MeeGo experience.

Right, please go take this issue up in my review thread instead. This is a place for development.
Again, your point? I am not interested in discussing your past activities. I asked some valid development-related questions I and will be glad to have them answered.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
1. Make from MeeGo on N8x0 something useful for the users or 2. see what is required for the hardware acceleration of Qt (the system integration is optional).

I think 2. is easier than 1. and it is also more feasible. After Mer I have some doubts that anything usable will come from 'MeeGo_on_N8x0'. If the libraries are ported (or at least Qt) then it should be very easy to port the applications.
Without system integration, the whole thing is worthless (seriously, why not just run the thing in Easy Debian then ?). Plus, most of the Fremantle Qt apps would not work as you would miss the Maemo5 module everyone is migrating to. For acceleration you would need proper OpenGL ES drivers, but that's the same thing as for MeeGo. In the end, I'm not at all sure long term full Qt support is viable on Diablo or that it would be less work or more feasible than MeeGo on the N8x0.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
And I proposed and easier way to provide the users with MeeGo experience.
I think we have a slight misunderstanding here. Qt is NOT the MeeGo experience, it is still just a toolkit. The MeeGo experience is something implemented WITH Qt. Just having Qt will not automagically make features not present on the host platform appear (for most non-GUI stuff Qt - and especially QtMobility - builds on the host platform libs).

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ California
I've been watching the forum discussions regarding the death of Mer and the rise of Meego, the frustration with the lack of support from Nokia for the users of the N800 & N810, no OS upgrade since 2008, etc...

The N800 & N810 are still great tablets, do what they are supposed to do and they do it well, they are for the most part the best devices of their type that I have used. I dislike the typical "PDA" device for too many reasons to list. And the iPod touch and the iPhone are both nice toys but they are very limited in what they can do.

Sure a brand new N900 would be nice, but I really do not want to drop 500 or 600 on a new device just because my 800 & 810 are no longer "the latest greatest gadgets". The 400 processor is just fine for nearly everything I need or want from this device, if I need more than that I get on the desktop.

I had great hopes for the Mer project and I am sorry to see it end before a final usable product could be distributed to tide us all over while we wait for the Meego project. But it does look like the Meego project is the most feasible option for the future especially if it can be used on more than just the Nokia N series tablets.

I wish I could write code so that I could contribute, but I am just a simple end user who enjoys tweaking my devices to get the most out of them and having some fun along the way. I may convert one of my laptops to a Linux OS just to get a feel for it and learn a few things to help me squeeze a little more out of my N800 & N810.

I do hope that there will be a funtional beta version of Meego available for the N800 & N810 sometime soon otherwise I may have to start looking at the Android devices. Is there any kind of a timetable or estimate on when there may be a working version of Meego for the N800 & N810?

My only other issue is that while this site is a great resource, it is not very user friendly. It can be very difficult to follow all of the threads and some very useful information gets lost in all of the back and forth discussions.

It would be VERY helpful if there were a section organized and tabbed under headings similar to the download section where there could step by step instructions on many of the more useful tips and tricks. Clear instructions on things like cloning, booting from the memory card, etc. Perhaps a shortcut to it could be placed on the page near FAQ, Forums, etc. Then it may be a simple matter to "update" a single set of instructions rather than having multiple sets of instructions which have been revised, changed and updated on multiple threads.

I will be following the progress on Meego for the N800 & N810. I understand that probably all of you volunteer to do this on you own time and I thank you for doing it. I wish those of you working on this site and the Meego project it the very best and I only wish that I were able to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to morr22066 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by morr22066 View Post
It would be VERY helpful if there were a section organized and tabbed under headings similar to the download section where there could step by step instructions on many of the more useful tips and tricks. Clear instructions on things like cloning, booting from the memory card, etc. Perhaps a shortcut to it could be placed on the page near FAQ, Forums, etc. Then it may be a simple matter to "update" a single set of instructions rather than having multiple sets of instructions which have been revised, changed and updated on multiple threads.
We already have such a thing and you can contribute too.
Though I don't generally like wikis, they're much better than forums for organizing information.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Added myself as this interests me obviously. I hope to contribute as the stack matures a bit more.

I'd say a useful M1 would be to get all other sensors (wifi, GPS) working: Boots, can connect to the outside world and find where it is in the world.

Interface isn't quite as crucial as something like xfce can be used as an interim until whatever interface meego handset will end up with can be evaluated, so that might be an M2, or M3?
I agree with these goals

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
An update on M0 on N810:

M0 currently boots straight into Xfce4 with Xomap.
Bluetooth works (if you dump in bc4fw.bin), touchscreen works, the setup is replicate-able with a kickstart file (available after 1.0 release).
Keyboard doesn't work in X (we don't have HAL so we need a different method, probably udev)
It boots off external minisd by default - means you can flasher -k -l a kernel and dual-boot to it that way.
No charging.
No need to turn watchdogs off.
2.6.33 kernel.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-05-23 at 17:29.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Thank you!
It boots off external minisd by default - means you can flasher -k -l a kernel and dual-boot to it that way.
Does this mean that you're planning to have MeeGo coexist with Diablo via dual-booting?

Closed Thread

Tags
hardware adaptation, meego