Notices

Originally Posted by Morphic View Post
wget "http://nakkiboso.com/libsoup2.4-1_2.26.3-0maemo3+0m5_armel.deb
--18:42:21-- http://nakkiboso.com/libsoup2.4-1_2....+0m5_armel.deb
=> `libsoup2.4-1_2.26.3-0maemo3+0m5_armel.deb'
Resolving nakkiboso.com... 64.16.214.14
Connecting to nakkiboso.com|64.16.214.14|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
18:42:22 ERROR 404: Not Found.
Make sure you add the missing quote in the end of the wget line or the download fails. But you don't have to use SSL if you trust plain basic auth. Just set "Use authentication without SSL" and open/forward the necessary ports.

I'm sure flac can be transcoded, just add the extension to scanned audio extensions.

The rest of you having "stream failed to start" messages, please read the wiki. Checklist is quite short:
  • make sure you use VLC 1.0.x (use VLC portable if you have to)
  • make sure the 'Using VLC 1.1 or newer' setting is set to no and restart the server
  • check that 'Status' tab says VLC is running
  • disable all firewalls/virus scanners (especially if it's the notorious Kaspersky)
  • don't use non-ascii characters in filenames on Windows.

If you can view videos in a browser using the 'Browser' profile, the problem with the client is either too new VLC or firewall.

If your VLC version is 1.1.x, you have few choices. Install the extra decoders package and use the 'Browser' profile on client. Or edit the n8x0 profile with a browser, type mplayer to player field, save the profile, reconnect with the client and select the n8x0 transcoding profile. Also make sure the setting 'Using VLC 1.1 or newer' is set to yes.

Last edited by ukki; 2011-01-26 at 17:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
I downloaded knots2 from git, but when I run http://localhost:1978/ in my browser, all it does is continuously refresh. I can't change anything in the tabs.

ETA: Hmm... strange, after a reboot everything is fine. Now to figure out if I can stream my dvd

Last edited by canuckkat; 2011-02-13 at 17:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to canuckkat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Make sure you add the missing quote in the end of the wget line or the download fails. But you don't have to use SSL if you trust plain basic auth. Just set "Use authentication without SSL" and open/forward the necessary ports.

I'm sure flac can be transcoded, just add the extension to scanned audio extensions.
Thanks for your reply.

I've tried with both SSL and without but can't seem to connect via 3G or external WIFI connection. Should this connect automatically if I have entered the remote discovery option? I have tried manually with IP too to no avail.
Also under the server settings I have:
Use SSL (enables authentication): No
Use authentication without SSL: No.
Have also got all the ports correctly forwarded as far as I'm aware. I can however connect via a browser on external WIFI so I'm guessing if ports were an issue this woudln't work?

I'm also failing to get flac to transcode externally, I've added the extension and they are scanned to the database. However when I try to playback through the browser all I get is garbled sounds with the browser profile. I tried local playback and passthrough seem to work ok on local network. Obviously these wouldn't be suitable for an external connection due to high bandwidth requirements. Theora profile throws up this error: "undefined method `position' for nil:NilClass"

I've tried VLC 1.0.5 and the latest version...

Thanks for your help

Originally Posted by canuckkat View Post
ETA: Hmm... strange, after a reboot everything is fine. Now to figure out if I can stream my dvd
You should rip your dvds to dvd images or folders. Knots should then detect them. DVD disc support is little flaky.

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried with both SSL and without but can't seem to connect via 3G or external WIFI connection. Should this connect automatically if I have entered the remote discovery option? I have tried manually with IP too to no avail.
Also under the server settings I have:
Use SSL (enables authentication): No
Use authentication without SSL: No.
Have also got all the ports correctly forwarded as far as I'm aware. I can however connect via a browser on external WIFI so I'm guessing if ports were an issue this woudln't work?
Please enable at least basic auth (Use authentication without SSL) If you can connect from outside your network with a browser, client should work too. Start a stream and use the "Check accessibility from the internet" -button. If it says everything is fine, everything should be fine. With basic auth you should store the username/password to device with gconf so you don't have to type them every freaking time. See wiki for that.

I'm also failing to get flac to transcode externally, I've added the extension and they are scanned to the database. However when I try to playback through the browser all I get is garbled sounds with the browser profile. I tried local playback and passthrough seem to work ok on local network. Obviously these wouldn't be suitable for an external connection due to high bandwidth requirements. Theora profile throws up this error: "undefined method `position' for nil:NilClass"

I've tried VLC 1.0.5 and the latest version...

Thanks for your help
Maybe VLC can't transcode flac to certain formats. You can edit the profiles and try different audio codecs: http://wiki.videolan.org/Codec

If passthrough works it means gstreamer can play flac so have you tried to transcode flac to flac, just lower the quality?

Please enable at least basic auth (Use authentication without SSL) If you can connect from outside your network with a browser, client should work too. Start a stream and use the "Check accessibility from the internet" -button. If it says everything is fine, everything should be fine. With basic auth you should store the username/password to device with gconf so you don't have to type them every freaking time. See wiki for that.
I have enabled basic auth but still can't connect. And yes the check accessibility button says everything is fine.
Neither connect automatically nor connect manually work, both say unable to connect to server. In connect manually I'm entering "IP of home router (server)":1978
Weird that from the web it works fine it's just the N900 client that doesn't want to work.

Maybe VLC can't transcode flac to certain formats. You can edit the profiles and try different audio codecs: http://wiki.videolan.org/Codec

If passthrough works it means gstreamer can play flac so have you tried to transcode flac to flac, just lower the quality?
I've had a look at this and it seems Ogg is only one supported so I created a new profile for ogg and can get some out of it now but I keep getting buffering even at 64k

The profile is set as follows:

Audio Format: vorbis
Audio Bitrate: 64
Audio Rate: 44100
Mux ogg
Stream Extension ogg
Audio Channels 2

Tried adding more buffer to no effect.
I have 500 kbps upload so should cope with this? I've managed to stream flac ok with Orb before...
Any more settings I can try?

Any more settings I can try?
I'll try to test flac when I have some time. You could come visit our irc channel to debug the connection problem you are having.

I'll try to test flac when I have some time. You could come visit our irc channel to debug the connection problem you are having.
Thanks maybe you can also look at why knots doesn't pick up all my flac tags either? It's only showing about 25% of my collection which is weird as everything is tagged the same way. I would use MP3 as it seems better supported but my MP3 tags are all over the place and I've been concentrating on my lossless collection the last few years as storage costs are so low these days.

I will look to get on IRC when I have some time.

Originally Posted by canuckkat View Post
I downloaded knots2 from git, but when I run http://localhost:1978/ in my browser, all it does is continuously refresh. I can't change anything in the tabs.

Actually having the exact same problem on Debian Squeeze, but a reboot didn't help...

Any ideas? it looks like a javascript just lauching the refresh and renders the application unusable. I've tried IE, firefox chrome... Same pb for all of them...

Thanks

Originally Posted by iditude View Post
Actually having the exact same problem on Debian Squeeze, but a reboot didn't help...

Any ideas? it looks like a javascript just lauching the refresh and renders the application unusable. I've tried IE, firefox chrome... Same pb for all of them...

Thanks
Hmm, this is a new one so maybe it's related to my last commit. Can you try deleting plugins/mobile.rb and see if that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Hmm, this is a new one so maybe it's related to my last commit. Can you try deleting plugins/mobile.rb and see if that helps.
Yep, definitely did the trick. I can access the app now.

Thanks!

Tags
knots, music, streaming, video