Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
New version (0.9.52) has a rearranged LXDE script that attempts to fix the timing issues. As always, report back!
Seems to work as intended. However, on its first launch I got different fonts in the LXDE menus than in the subsequent sessions, indicating that things are not yet completely deterministic.

Also, I would like to repeat my recommendation for debbie-sue also in the non-LXDE apps.

EDIT: After having started it more often, I do occasionally get those different fonts in the LXDE menus again, but rather rarely. I have seen this already before 0.9.51, indeed, but I thought only when I had not done a proper shutdown of LXDE before. Anyway, both fonts are just fine, it's just a curious behavior.

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-06-10 at 22:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Seems to work as intended. However, on its first launch I got different fonts in the LXDE menus than in the subsequent sessions, indicating that things are not yet completely deterministic.

Also, I would like to repeat my request for debbie-sue also in the non-LXDE apps.
I got a similar behavior in that the My Documents Icon went through
a three stage metamorphosis changing at each launch of LDXE 1)little house with My Documents, then 2) Just the words My Documents,
then finally, 3) the usual folder (with little house) and the My Documents label. It now seems stable after further launches. Also the over all color changed from brown (during the first launch) to the usual one after the second launch. Again stable now.

The other strange thing is that the time it takes to open OO writer
from the LXDE tool bar changes, but in a good way.

Early timings put it at about 32s to 35s to launch OO writer.

Now, if I open up LXDE shortly after having turned on the N900
I get the following timings (each time I close OO.org in the process)
first try 60 seconds
second 45 s
third 32 s
forth 23-25
fifth+ 25

If I log out of the LXDE and try again I get about 32 s the frirst
try and then about 25 after that.

If I next turn off the N900 and start over it goes back to the beginning with 60s and follows the same decrease with each try.

Anybody else get this?

Last edited by mscion; 2010-06-10 at 19:32. Reason: typo, correction

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
OOO has always behaved like that, with shorter starting cycles after the first one.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I got a similar behavior in that the My Documents Icon went through
a three stage metamorphosis changing at each launch of LDXE 1)little house with My Documents, then 2) Just the words My Documents,
then finally, 3) the usual folder (with little house) and the My Documents label. It now seems stable after further launches. Also the over all color changed from brown (during the first launch) to the usual one after the second launch. Again stable now.
In my case I didn't get that much variability. But since our fluctuations in the configuration were only there immediately after the upgrade, it is perhaps because easy-deb-chroot did overwrite some of the configuration files of LXDE. One file that is for sure overwritten by an upgrade is the one for the top panel, because I had to change that back to what I had before. Did you do some more extensive modifications of the layout, mscion?

qole, I think it would be best if an upgrade of easy-deb-chroot would generally leave /home/user/.config files as they are, when they are already there, and instead install them with -dist appended or something. If easy-deb-chroot is installed freshly, it's of course desirable to have a consistent complete set of those config files installed (even if some were left over after de-installing easy-deb-chroot).

Last edited by rebhana; 2010-06-10 at 17:28.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
OOO has always behaved like that, with shorter starting cycles after the first one.
In the past, even after several iterations, I never did better than about 32 -35 seconds. So I thought that it was unusual to to see a 30 percent speed up. The only problem is that I have to leave the n900 on all the time as I'm back to 60s if I start from scratch!

[QUOTE=rebhana;709131]In my case I didn't get that much variability. But since our fluctuations in the configuration were only there immediately after the upgrade, it is perhaps because easy-deb-chroot did overwrite some of the configuration files of LXDE. One file that is for sure overwritten by an upgrade is the one for the top panel, because I had to change that back to what I had before. Did you do some more extensive modifications of the layout, mscion?

I just did minor things like changing the appearance and size of the left panel and icon.

Anyone figure out how to move the My Documents folder so it doesn't
overlap the top panel?

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Anybody else get this?
Yes, I also find that after repeated launches OO comes up about 5 seconds faster than previously, but for the first launch there is no improvement at all, so it's at most of use if you want to show off with your OO on the N900 But it is indeed remarkable that there is some change at all. I would not have thought that it would make any noticeable difference to have wmctrl now residing in Maemo. If that is indeed the reason.

I've updated the discussion in the Wiki about the keyboard focus loss work-arounds to include qole's complete solution on the Debian side so that people who shy away from extras-devel can more easily find it:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian#PR_1.2

I've included it under the PR1.2 heading because I'm not sure it would have worked prior to PR1.2. Is it in fact a windfall of PR1.2?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi faithful testers!

The post-PR1.2 Easy Debian is one vote away from getting out of Extras-testing.

Please go to this page and vote!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wow that was fast. Thanks everyone! Version 0.9.50 is in Extras.

LXDE stability issues seem to be keeping me from putting the next version in Testing.

We need to figure out the timing weirdness before I can promote the next version. Please help us if you can!

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze