Notices

FWIW this is important to me because I have another Raspberry Pi coming in. It will run OpenELEC, which exports directories over samba. I'm hoping to have a copy of my record collection on it, so I can play music with (my current) Volumio RPi - and of course use SMPC to control it

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Germany
I'm not sure i'm on the same page right now .

What isn't working, is it the local database which only stores artist/album images or is it MPDs track database? if it is the MPD trackdatabase you just need to Select "Settings->Update database".

If it is the local metadatabase for images, album/artist art will download automatically if new songs are played or you do it manually via Settings->Database settings->download artist images and download album images.

Sorry for the confusion. Perhaps I'll rename the settings a bit to make it more clear.

greetings

Originally Posted by djselbeck View Post
I'm not sure i'm on the same page right now .

What isn't working, is it the local database which only stores artist/album images or is it MPDs track database? if it is the MPD trackdatabase you just need to Select "Settings->Update database".
Tried that, it's not that.

If it is the local metadatabase for images, album/artist art will download automatically if new songs are played or you do it manually via Settings->Database settings->download artist images and download album images.
Nothing as fancy.

When SMPC starts, I choose files -> NAS -> mjt music.

NAS is for my desktop's samba share, named mjt music.

I get a list of my flacs, which I rip with a naming scheme that doesn't need metadata. The directory structure is this:
Artist/AlbumYear-AlbumName
So no metadata required, that structure is all I need. It even matches how I store the CDs on shelves.

When I rip a new CD onto my samba share - the NAS from SMPC's point of view - it does not show up in the list. In other words, I see only the albums I had there when I first set this up.

Is that a clearer explanation?

So my original question was whether or not the "files" list is cached in some way - either on SMPC's or samba's part? Can that be forcibly refreshed?

Thanks!

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
@mjtorn

On updating MPD

I don't know the details of your setup, but I run MPD remote on a Raspberry Pi. My collection contains some 40+ Gb, basicallly all my music is on the rPi's SD card.

Updating the database takes some time with my setup, when I would simply issue something like:
Code:
mpc update
MPD will then rescan and update the complete database.

A faster method would be to tell it to update only specific directories like

Code:
mpc update MUSIC/ROCK
Even than, it still is slow. Just as a test I moved a new record over to the raspberry, and it showed up in the library list some 20 minutes later.

TLDR: MPD updating it's database really is slow in itself when your collection is large.

Yep, it can be very slow. SMPC always issues complete db update when clicking update database in settings

I'm sure it is. Does the files list use it implicitly or is it only used if I build it with metadata? Because I'm still not using a database, only a files list.

It took a long time, restarting both SMPC and samba from time to time, but the discs I ripped eventually showed up in the list all by themselves.

Maybe I'll read the SMPC code myself to see if there's caching in the file list, because everyone else seems fixated on the database

SMPC caches nothing but metadata (artist,albumimages and one text about album/artist).

During application execution phase SMPC recatches the filelist for every path when you open the files page. For example. if you open / in filebrowser it catches the data fresh from mpd. if you go back to the SMPC Homescreen it releases all data to not put pressure on the device memory. This is the case for all MPD datarelated pages. As soon as the page gets pushed away, SMPC frees the data. This allows a small memoryfootprint.

For MPD itself there is no differention of filelist and database. If you want to browse you files in MPD and ANY client you need an mpd database.

Just to be clear we are on the samepage , what you need is playback of an streaming output from your MPD server?

I'll have a look into this in the future but not right now, I need a small pause from developing smpc the local db took quite some time.
If this were to be implemented, I'd happily donate as much as I am able to from my student budget! It would make it possible to use SMPC as an alternative to spotify (but with lossless quality from out own servers instead ).

First version of Daedalus released:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94319

Originally Posted by Valvar View Post
If this were to be implemented, I'd happily donate as much as I am able to from my student budget! It would make it possible to use SMPC as an alternative to spotify (but with lossless quality from out own servers instead ).
Actually I tried this. But at the moment it looks like qmultimedia is unable to play the streams of mpd. I've tried flac/mp3/wave. It looks like an gstreamer issue. I'll have a look into it in the future again.

Tags
jolla, mpd mpd-client, musicpd, sailfish