Active Topics

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I recently setup Kali in chroot and it exhibits the same gparted (and parted) problem (no surprise as it's based on Debian).

I did try putting the older versions of the binaries and the libparted0debian1.so from the working ED in, but that didn't make any difference, so perhaps some sort of kernel/libc issue as you say.

The Following User Says Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hey guys, I have long ago stopped using the N900, but I am more than happy to keep hosting the images that you produce in this thread. Just fire me an e-mail, qole at qole org and I'll put it up for you.

Also, I will gladly host hashes to ensure that you're getting the goods; where would you like the md5sums put?

(Note that you can use https on qole.org if you want. It isn't even afflicted with the heartbleed bug!)

EDIT:
Here's Sulu's latest Wheezy minimal version:
https://qole.org/files/debian_wheezy...armhf.img.lzma

Last edited by qole; 2014-04-24 at 05:28.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
@shawn:
I tried the same under Debian and came to the same conclusion.

@qole:
Good to see you're still alive!
And thanks for the offer to keep on hosting images!

As for the md5sums I think it would be best to have a text file called imagename.md5 right where the images are that contains the output of <md5sum imagename>.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
@shawn:
As for the md5sums I think it would be best to have a text file called imagename.md5 right where the images are that contains the output of <md5sum imagename>.
I have done this for all of the .lzma and .bz2 images. Tell me if you have problems, or if I missed something.

Last edited by qole; 2014-04-24 at 06:14.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Yes, thats exactly what I meant. Thanks!

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
@shawn:
@qole:
Good to see you're still alive!
I'm amazed that this thread is still alive! It has been more than 4 years since I started it!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
So, it seems that ED is "stuck" kin old-stable Squeeze for fully working enviromnent (which isn't such a tragic thing, if you use squeeze-backports-sloppy), and almost-fully-working wheezy, for things where we need more security. At least, until Neo900, which is most likely to use mainstream kernel IIRC, so Jessie&future should become available, again.

Considering it, I'm performing some last polishing work on Squeeze image, including making it even more stylus (and even finger, in many cases) friendly, de-bloating (removing software that dupklicated functionality or is obsolete), etc. I even spend quite some time to make portrait support with integrated VKBD more polished, which is funny, as I don't plan to use portrait ED ever, it seems

Of course, if people consider my usability modifications useful (sic!), I could release a tar that, upon extraction, should bring them into Wheezy version, too. No more wheezy images, though as - despite my ever-lasting admiration of sulu for his wonderful work on bringing so nearly complete wheezy experience - I stopped using wheezy alltogether, as the 3 confirmed things that won't work there (chromium, parts of gimp, and [g]parted) are, incidentally, the three things that I use in ED the most

Thanks for your willingness to host images, qole - such stability means a lot in troubles times of dissapearing hosts. I hope you can expect an squeeze-estel-final from me in few days

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm amazed that this thread is still alive! It has been more than 4 years since I started it!
Hi qole! Hope you are well. Perhaps, when you have some free time you can put together a version of ED for sailfish...

EDIT: I just glanced at your twitter and I happen to notice you have a Nexus 5 and tried to do some swipe gestures (habit from using N950 I guess). I had the same experience when going from n9 to Galaxy Note. Awkward! Anyways, you can define some similar gestures using an app called GMD Gestures Control. It's not the same but you can set up swipe gesture to take you from a running app to, say, home page or recent apps or and even divide up the edge for a variety of swipe actions. You can also define one, two or more taps from different parts of the screen for actions. Have fun!

Last edited by mscion; 2014-04-24 at 16:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ireland
@sulu

Many thanks for creating the updated Wheezy image. I unpacked the image file to an ext4 partition on my SD card - in this configuration the performance is excellent.

Out of curiosity, I set up an old laptop with a minimal debian system just sufficient to run an X server and usb networking. I created a cloned set of Easy Debian scripts which connect to the laptop's X server over the usb0 connection. The result is totally satisfactory. There is no delay on keyboard or mouse input, and the screen updates smoothly. The N900 continues to use the wi-fi or 3G connection for all other network access.

There is a posting a long way back in this thread by leetnoob (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2135), in which he speculates "maybe this would have been the future if ms/nokia didn't happen.. no laptops just powerful phones connecting to dumb docking stations".

I think he may have had a point ...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zerox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I believe it will still come to it..."WHEN" the world breaks it's crack-like addiction to useless "smart"-phones-watches ...phablets, tablets and laptops and the like... and gets serious about having a portable powerful phone. We have gone from tons of separate devices to now syncing devices together...simple next step ...get rid of all the superfluous "other" devices and have just one wicked device and docking stations to interface with peripherals ....

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze