Notices

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I found Angband for the NIT...How cool! Sends me back to the old days paying Moria on a Vax. I sat next to some kid playing on his iP0wn3d the other day. He glanced over, then got an expression like "Huh." I thought, "you're too young to understand..."

Anyway, the question I have is that the version of Angband was apparently built for Chinook or older. It requires hildon-libs0. It installed (with errors) and it runs fine, but every time I get updates, Angband is one, and it errors out because of hildon-libs0, which are not apparently available for Diablo.

What can I do to get rid of the errors? I could do it the Debian way and pin it, but I'm not sure how that would work w/App Manager. Is there a better way?

Thanks,
--vr

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey Vulcan!

Did you ever find the answer to what you were asking?

I take it that you're using Dawnmist's port?

I've had that version before and even posted the best setup for it somewhere here. Now, I can't seem to figure out what to do in even getting it installed again through Diablo. *lol*

There also is Arnim's port to consider. With just a little tweak, you can get a full 80x25 screen with a 16 sized font which is very easy on the eyes. For me though, since I have a N800, I have to go with an 80x24 screen to make room for a dinky touch screen keyboard.

His version was simple to install and I'm not getting that constant update notice like you're seeing.

Here's a couple of screen shots of it.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey Vulcan!

Did you ever find the answer to what you were asking?
Nope. Nary a peep. I've just been clicking the extra warning about not being able to install angband in the pkg manager.

I take it that you're using Dawnmist's port?
Apparently I am. I found it on http://pupnik.de/angband.html.

I've had that version before and even posted the best setup for it somewhere here. Now, I can't seem to figure out what to do in even getting it installed again through Diablo. *lol*
Well, the problem, as far as I can tell, is that somewhere between Chinook and Diablo, they dropped hildon-libs0.

There also is Arnim's port to consider. With just a little tweak, you can get a full 80x25 screen with a 16 sized font which is very easy on the eyes. For me though, since I have a N800, I have to go with an 80x24 screen to make room for a dinky touch screen keyboard.

His version was simple to install and I'm not getting that constant update notice like you're seeing.
I'm going to have to dig through that thread. Is it safe to run the version of xterm on the site on a Diablo box?

Thanks,
--vr

The Following User Says Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:
Angband ncurses is the one Arnim provided us with.

Here's the post for Dawnmist's version
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=25

Mind you, I don't understand linux commands or scripting so I'm sure there's an easier way to get it done.

Also, that post was for people who don't have a hardware keyboard and back then everyone was using Chinook.

Arnim's works perfect under Diablo.

Before the N8x0 is left forgotten we should all lobby and demand some current ports of Angband, T.o.M.E., Fangband, Sangband, Zangband, Nethack, etc.

No GUI nonsense, heck, whoever attempts this doesn't even have to package it as a .deb.

Just a clean build and instructions on how to install would be awesome enough!

So how many of us dorks here can rally together and PM the crap out of Benson's or Mikkov's mailbox?

Before the N8x0 is left forgotten we should all lobby and demand some current ports of Angband, T.o.M.E., Fangband, Sangband, Zangband, Nethack, etc.
I agree here.

No GUI nonsense, heck, whoever attempts this doesn't even have to package it as a .deb.

Just a clean build and instructions on how to install would be awesome enough!

So how many of us dorks here can rally together and PM the crap out of Benson's or Mikkov's mailbox?
Well, I can build debs, I run Debian on my entire network...The problems I have is familiarity with Maemo and the NIT infrastructure. I'm not sure what works and what doesn't, especially across releases (e.g. Chinook to Diablo), and I don't/can't be without my device for the length of time it would take to get it back to the current level of usefulness after flashing. I wish I had a second one that I could use as a test bed, I'll have to see about that. I tried setting up a scratchbox install on my machine, but that ended up not going overly well. This weekend I may set it up in a virtual machine. If I can get a build environment, I may try to build a deb of one or the other of them.

--vr

Sweetness!

I've been told before that building something like Angband can be as little as writing 100 lines of code for a clean port.

That still seems like quite a bit of work for anyone though.

Big props for even considering this!

I can try whatever junk you throw at me this weekend and I don't mind reflashing if that's something needed for testing.

I've attached my changed Angband file if you want to have a look at it. It's for Armim's version.
Angband.zip

It disables the touch screen keyboard in Xterm so make sure to quit or Control-x out of Angband for the keyboard to come back to life.

To get a full 80x25 screen, you need to install this hacked file I have called libvte4_0.12.2-0mh7_armel.

It removes the one pixel, invisible border around Xterm.

It's 640k in size which is too big for me to upload here.

I guess you could PM your email addy and I can send that your way.

Good luck with this weekend!

Last edited by Addison; 2009-12-04 at 23:04.

Sweetness!

I've been told before that building something like Angband can be as little as writing 100 lines of code for a clean port.
Porting something like angband doesn't require any coding. Some knowledge of debian packaging and maemo environment is needed. Hardest part is probably installing the SDK. Maybe some default settings should be changes but you seem to the expert on that area

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Porting something like angband doesn't require any coding. Some knowledge of debian packaging and maemo environment is needed. Hardest part is probably installing the SDK. Maybe some default settings should be changes but you seem to the expert on that area
Yeah, no idea what you said in all of that.

Most of what I post here is a direct copy and paste of what others have mentioned before.

Heck, I even copied and pasted this sentence from another website. *lol*

I only know root, cd, and ls on the command line to be honest.

Just don't tell others I'm a plagiarist. I'd hate to lose any remaining credibilty here.

Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
I have the knowledge of Debian packaging (though it has been a while since I have built a package), but not so much with the Maemo environment. But I'll give it the old college try as time permits...

Any recommendations on which version of Angband I should start with? It looks like the latest and greatest is 3.1.1 of vanilla Angband. Is there a better candidate?