Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
This is nota working with Diablo, and will not be updated, please use boot from SD installers

Boot from SD is the preferred method of installing KDE.

DEB to make your system boot from SD
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19639

DEB to install KDE, if you are booted from SD
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19675

[SIZE="4"]This install is only for people who are not booting thier OS from SD/MMC, for those running from SD/MMC see above [SIZE]

This took quite a bit a playing around on my end, but it appears to be working well. There are two changes that installing and removing this software leave behind.

NOTE: This is the same software in the tarball, so no need to run out and upgrade. Newer KDESUP should be coming soon.

Testing this has only been done on my device (n800) running 2008OS-50-2. Lets start be first saying that the reason I made this is because of the overwhelming requests for KDE in a DEB.

KDE can not be made into a deb easily, so this install is itself a hack. The main goal for this is to provide a way to install and run KDE without having to know anything about sd/mmc cards and partitioning. The second goal for this is to provide a way to remove or uninstall KDE.

This took quite a bit a playing around on my end, but it appears to be working well.

NOTICE
There are two changes that installing and removing this software leave behind.

It will add ALL=ALL NOPASSWD for user in /etc/sudoers and it will remove /usr/sbin/docpurge.

1) I did not want to try to remove the ALL=ALL and end up possibly leaving a device not working because of a messed up sudoers file. If you want to, you can remove this line manually.
remove this line --> "user ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" (its echoed in to /etc/sudoers during install)

2) docpurge is a useless script someone at maemo wrote to remove documentation from /usr/share/doc and other locations. CUPS (cups printing package) html website resides in /usr/share/doc so not removing this renders CUPS inoperable. /usr/sbin/docpurge is moved to /usr/sbin/docpurge-orig during install of kde-mmcX

NOTICE,
First of all, lets be clear. KDE on n800 or n810 is a hack, and for now it should be treated as such. This may cause you to end up reflashing and lose data (Just to cover my butt) (poop happens)

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

PREREQUISITE 2GB or bigger MMC/SD card formatted FAT (formatted in windows)

In order to install you need 2GB free space

Copy the install files to your 2GB mmc/sd card

MMC1
http://www.tablethacker.com/software/local-mmc1.deb
http://www.tablethacker.com/software/kde-3.5.8-mmc1.deb
http://www.tablethacker.com/software/kdesup-3.5.8.deb
http://www.tablethacker.com/software/KDE358.tar.bz2

Click here to Donate

MMC2
http://www.tablethacker.com/software/local-mmc2.deb
http://www.tablethacker.com/software/kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb
http://www.tablethacker.com/software/kdesup-3.5.8.deb
http://www.tablethacker.com/software/KDE358.tar.bz2

EDIT

My hosting site is #@$%#@$ up, files you guys are downloading are becoming corrupted.

PLEASE VERIFY FILE SIZES, this can me seen with in xterm
ls -l /media/mmc1 (or mmc2)

308317552 KDE358.tar.bz2
308126 kde-3.5.8-mmc1.deb
308122 kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb
21260684 kdesup-3.5.8.deb
510560 local-mmc1.deb
510548 local-mmc2.deb

Now to install them, using application manager and install them in this order.

local-mmc1.deb (install time about 8 minutes on mine)
kde-3.5.8-mmc1.deb (install time about 20-30 minutes)
kdesup-3.5.8.deb (Install time about < 1 minute)

local-mmc2.deb (install time about 8 minutes on mine)
kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb (install time about 20-30 minutes)
kdesup-3.5.8.deb (Install time about < 1 minute)

Now start KDE from extra's menu.

You can delete the deb and the tar.bz2 file from your mmc/sd card.
DO NOT DELETE local.img or swap.img
swap.img is swapspace
local.img is /usr/local ext2 filesystem

FAQ

Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
I will prefice what I'm about to say with this: it is only how I see things as a non-Linux usin', non xTerm usin' idiot. But this may represent some of the things that are being taken for granted by those that understand the process better than I do.
I was gung ho to come home tonight and give this install a try. But I'm now afraid I would run into the experience you are having. If you read this whole thread very carefully I think you find that:

1. the downloaded files need to go to a specific place. I have no idea how to put them there.
Just put the files on the card NOT IN A SUB DIRECTORY, apparently I was not specific enough

2. The card might need to be formated in 'windows' I'm not sure exactly what that means.
It should be FAT or FAT32, this is a window/dos filesystem, which is by default on SD cards when you buy them, so unless you installed linux, your fine

3. There might be confussion about whether mmc1 in the n800 means the internal card or the external card although I am assuming it means the internal card.
On my n800 mmc1 is external and mmc2 in internal

4. I'm not sure if the download files are zipped or not. I did try to start the install process earlier today but the first nstall file would not install. The detail said it was over 1500 GB in size. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what it said.
It will create a 1.3GB file on you SD/mmc card called local.img which it mounts as /usr/local and a 128MB file called swap.img, which is your swap file. Does it really say 1500GB , my local says 1.2gb

5 You need to be certain that the downloaded files are the correct size. But I don't know how to use xTerm to verify this.
But I suppose if I used Buns method of downloading to my XP computer and then transfering could work, but as i said, I wouldn't know where or how to put the files in the right place.
Again you put the files on the card, not in any directory. So for example:
If you put the SD/mmc card in Windows, it will show up as a new drive letter. Say E: So, if I have a SD card it may have a directory "pictures" that in windows in represented as E:\PICTURES

So do not create a directory called E:\KDE and put the files in there.
Place the files in E:\ so E:\kdesup-3.5.8.deb.

FILE SIZES IN WINDOWS
[ ] KDE358.tar.bz2 -- 294M
[ ] kde-3.5.8-mmc1.deb -- 301k
[ ] kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb -- 301k
[ ] kdesup-3.5.8.deb -- 20.3M
[ ] local-mmc1.deb -- 499k
[ ] local-mmc2.deb -- 499k

ALSO NOTE, be SURE KDE358.tar.bz2 does not get renamed as some has stated in Vista I think.

6. Penguinbait mentions that after uninstalling this it leaves some things on the IT which may not be a big deal but i wouldn't know how to change that latter if needed.

docpurge (a three line script to delete files) is not needed, from my point of view, it deletes documentation that people put in thier debs. So if I package a doc and place it in those dirs it will delete everything in that dir. If you dont want the docs, dont install the debs. Developers (or hackers) wouldnt put stuff there if you didnt need it. So a choice is made to print, or delete documentation. I actually intended to restore it but it was causing problems on reinstalls so I just axed it, because I can do that , packaging debs can be actually quite a tricky process.
If that is a problem, maybe KDE is just not for you

The other thing I chose not to remove is the sudoers file, while its very easy to add a line to a file, I am more concerned about re-writing the entire file to remove it. If something were to go wrong on the re-write process of the sudoers file your tablet would be hosed, and you would have to reflash. That was not something I was willing to risk scripting. So the line added to sudoers file allows user to run any command as root with no password, basically is another option so becomeroot.deb is not even needed. from xterm run "sudo su -" and you will become root user. Anyway I know I am losing you again, ok I am trying here
So if you decide to remove KDE, if you PM me and tell me how to contact you on IM or IRC and I will walk you through how to remove your root access personally .

Neil

As I stated in my original post THIS IS A HACK. I am offering you an experience I can't promise perfection, but I will try to help you if you have any probelms as well as others. The worst case scenario is you you have to reflash your tablet, the best case, your printing webpages and emails in about an hour.

---> CLICK HERE TO DONATE <---

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-07-07 at 22:20.

The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Texas
Nice work!

Has the font issue been solved? When I installed KDE, the fonts on MicroB were changed, possibly broken.

"Life is too short to waste on sleep" - Johnny Cunningham

http://www.skibur.com

Originally Posted by skibur View Post
Nice work!

Has the font issue been solved? When I installed KDE, the fonts on MicroB were changed, possibly broken.

As I said, this is the SAME as the tarball, so no changes have been made to SUP.tgz, kdesup-3.5.8.deb is the same.

There is a problem, where the fonts change in microb after installing KDE. This does not stop microb from working, but the fonts are a tad bit smaller. I will be working on resolving that, but this was just a way to allow people to install the already available KDE version.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
You rock...

If I want to unistall it and fix the problem with MicroB, what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I run into problems on installing this...

The first install file did go fine. When I started the second one Application manager said after about a minute that was unable to install. Application manager now refuses to uninstall it too! (It says in log: dpkg: error processing kde-mmc2 (--remove): Package is in very bad inconsistent state - you should reinstall it before attempting a removal.

Of course... reinstall does not work...

Originally I copied all files into the memory card in "softs" subfolder. Should all files have been in the root directory?

Well... I was about to do fresh flash on this N800 anyway...

EDIT: It looks like there is some conflicts with Kagu?

Last edited by Mara; 2008-01-09 at 00:30.

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I run into problems on installing this...

The first install file did go fine. When I started the second one Application manager said after about a minute that was unable to install. Application manager now refuses to uninstall it too! (It says in log: dpkg: error processing kde-mmc2 (--remove): Package is in very bad inconsistent state - you should reinstall it before attempting a removal.

Of course... reinstall does not work...

Originally I copied all files into the memory card in "softs" subfolder. Should all files have been in the root directory?

Well... I was about to do fresh flash on this N800 anyway...

EDIT: It looks like there is some conflicts with Kagu?

The files have to be in /media/mmcX

You dont need to do fresh flash. kde-3.5.8 only install tar and bzip2, it should update if you place the tarball in the correct location, please try again, let me know?

Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
If I want to unistall it and fix the problem with MicroB, what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Testing now, I didn't think about that. I will let you know

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
The files have to be in /media/mmcX

You dont need to do fresh flash. kde-3.5.8 only install tar and bzip2, it should update if you place the tarball in the correct location, please try again, let me know?
Nope... will not do. I even rebooted the device before trying again.

EDIT: I already reflashed the N800 and continue installing from step 2... so far (after about 10 minutes) so good.

(Isn't it nice to have two N800's, so keep one in "working" order and use the other for all kind of experiments... )

Last edited by Mara; 2008-01-09 at 01:08.

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35, koffice