ok ive had my n900 for almost 2 weeks now. i love almost everything about it. i recently decided to show the device off to my father by showing him i can play music through his car stereo system via the fm transmiter. needless to say it didnt work. i put it up to the deck plate and still nothing. i than put my hand in the back of the car where the antenna was nd it started working but was fuzzy. i thought maybe it was his car since some people on these forums said it only worked in some of their cars. anyway i tried it on a fm stereo set and it only worked wen it was toching it. i meen seriously wat gives with this it should work at least 5 feet away. theres no point of even puttimg it on the device. im going to call nokia today and complain. as i still have 2 days on the return policy. also im from usa so fm transmiters are legal so it should work.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
it sucks because its a cheapo conponent. the funny thing is, if it didnt have this function it wouldnt have lost many sales if any(materially), nokia shouldnt have even bothered putting it in- it could have had a bigger battery instead... or a snap dragon processor etc

Maybe its your head unit or the station you chose...not all FM receivers are created equal. FM transmitter works fine in my 20th AE GTI, with a "stubby" antenna, and Pioneer AVIC 700. I leave my 900 in the cubby hole in the dashboard with the antenna in the back of the car. Seems like the FM transmitter is on the "right" hand side (by the N900 logo) as when I had it sitting in the cup holder, with the N900 logo on the bottom, reception weakened.

I was able to stream internet radio feed over FM transmitter during 2hr interstate trip over the holidays...no issues with signal

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
come on people. Put the link to thread were this has been discussed. I will but takes time with this

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ San Francisco
when i was in australia over the holidays, i drove from sydney to port stephens (2.5-3hr drive), found a good station and had absolutely no static or issues using the fm transmitter

however back here in the states, im having a lil bit more difficulty finding a solid station throughout the city of SF. i think mainly due to living in an area with a mass amount of radio stations with stronger signals. for my 10 min drive to work, im able to stay on one station with "slight" interference hitting once or twice certain parts. otherwise it seems to do better than the belkin i had for my ipod!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
i have used a universal one that costs 10 quid and it rips the inbuilt one to shreads.

colgna you are probally in a part of the world that has free fm frequencies.

in london they are very hard to find and i need a half decent one to work.

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
it sucks because its a cheapo conponent. the funny thing is, if it didnt have this function it wouldnt have lost many sales if any(materially), nokia shouldnt have even bothered putting it in- it could have had a bigger battery instead... or a snap dragon processor etc
Speak for yourself, I love my FM transmitter. Works like charm, audio quality is lot better than the separate audio jack model I had before. Listening to music in car is really easy now.

It is a shame so many people are having problems with it. I wonder if it has something to do with localization, frequency saturation etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reviver For This Useful Post:
its location reviver- i have tested universal ones that are much better. in built up towns you need a decent one and the ability to change presets with one button press. you obviously live in a place with available fm signals

The Following User Says Thank You to mysticrokks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The FM transmitter is bad if you try to overshadow a station. But once you've found a free frequency, the quality is great. The shielding of the car, the placement of its antenna, and the antenna quality make a difference, too.
And last, not least, there's already a thread where we found a way to boost the signal strength beyond what your country's government thinks is enough for you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: