Can anyone explain please ?
It defeats the purpose...

I have 5 gmail accounts; 3 are setup with the gmail client and 2 setup with MfE, all are set to "up to date" which is supposingly the option NOT to poll constantly but to rely on PUSH.

Thanks,

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
i've a worst problem with 4 gmail and 7MfE accounts.
i'd asked Sergey_Kashin about this in the MfE thread and what he basically said was although its push, it polls/syncs every 10mins or so to make sure all info is up-to-date (contacts, calendars, folders other than inbox) regardless of whether all the three items are set to sync.

it's an unfortunate annoyance with no remedy in sight (not even in pr1.3 afaik).

may I ask which phone have push email client?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
on my bb bold this issue isn't present as you don't have to use MfE for push mail. on my sgs too you can use android's mail client for push mail instead of setting up MfE for hotmail or live-linked corporate domains.

still i stick to my n9 its just too sexy to not be used.

This is exactly where the N9 fall behind. Such basic things should be tested and rock-solid on a smartphone.

I am sick of these limitations and I seriously understand Elop. This product is not mature.
* No push
* Not able to deal with multiple gmail calendars (the google implementation is not standard ? So what, this is de-facto the reference ! So support it !)
* No support for gmail contacts
* Not able to deal with contacts of multiple MfE accounts
* Screen is scratchable (N9 64GB made in China)
* Limited/No support of basic common apps; GoogleMaps, Skype video, WhatsApp, etc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Don't say that loud on these forums or else you'll invoke the wrath of the fanboys!

Shocker: Activating the highest setting for email delivery drains battery. :O

Whatever gave you the idea that using these features won't put a strain on the battery? Push email is "real-time" because devices constantly "ping" our respective email servers. Blackberry devices have BIS, which do the "ping" for you, so your device doesn't need to do it, hence saving battery life.

It is WRONG to assume that just because you set your device to "Always up to date", you're going to get your email as if it was a text message, wherein you let your wireless carrier to "push" it to your phone. In reality, push email is "pushed" because your phone regularly checks your email in the background. If push email is sent to your phone like a text message, then nobody would bother using Blackberry services and devices.

And btw, my Gmail contacts sync flawlessly, and my N9's screen is scratch-free. You must be keeping your N9 in your pocket with a dozen nails. *rolleyes* And app support is what it is now because they abandoned MeeGo, NOT BECAUSE they did not get any developers before they decided to ditch MeeGo. :P

The Following User Says Thank You to lifeintheblitz For This Useful Post:
Nokia has always had crappy IMAP IDLE implementations with way too much overhead and battery use. This is why Profimail was such a godsend for Symbian devices. Push email without rapid battery drain.

What I would pay for Profimail on my N9!

IMAP IDLE does *not* have to be such a drain. It's been a few years but there were threads on the E75 and other forums (Symbian obviously) where someone sniffed Nokia's IMAP IDLE and it was attrocious, using something like 10x the necessary traffic to do IMAP IDLE than was needed. When I switched my E75 from the Nokia client to Profimail my battery life was loads improved.

Last edited by Mize; 2012-06-08 at 11:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mize For This Useful Post:
@lifeintheblitz:
1. You don't seem to know what is push: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_email
2. There is a specific "push email" option the N9
3. Have a look at the simili-aluminum plate around the lens, tell me it is not scratched. My screen was scratched, I can assure you it is not as resistant as my old motorolla. Moreover, I have been using the plastic/rubber protector on the N9 for some months now; At the back of the phone, the black color is altered
4. Apps: PR1.1 did not even have the API for face-camera; Do you expect Skype to guess how it should work ?? No, they should have wait for PR1.2... Too late, N9 was outdated to invest any kind of development. Look at Opera... where is the new version ? etc

To be a fan-boy is nice, I am one for many other things, but you should be realistic, the N9 is not a finished product.

FYI, just reverted to regular polling of email server, current consumption is down to ~25mA on 3.5G. Push is seriously broken.

The Following User Says Thank You to KTy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ United States
I don't think you really understand push... Your device stays awake keeping a connection continually open to the server to watch for new mail. To make an analogy of it, it's like I forced you to stay up the whole day and night staring at my mailbox so you could tell me as soon as the mailman comes with a letter for me, instead of letting you sleep and then take a peek in my mailbox to see if anything new has come. Of course you're going to have your batteries drained, you'd be tired too if you never got any sleep.

Also, you seem to have your order of causation wrong. Elop didn't ditch the platform because it was immature, the platform is immature because Elop ditched it.