Active Topics

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
It needs a FAT partition (which was done on N900 and N9), which fragments storage on the device. Issues with file permissions and security, back-ups, restoring to factory settings etc... The current btrfs layout gives us huge benefits there that would not be possible if we needed to have some rogue FAT partition.
My desktop is on Linux. My router is on Linux. My TV is on Linux. (I don't have a tablet since there isn't one out there which doesn't come with an OS I'm not willing to pay for) Well ok the tv and router don't support BtrFS, just trying to mention that I really don't care about FAT. Nor do I about Apple.
It needs to unmount/remount it every time mass-storage is enabled. This means every application that might need to handle data on that partition needs to be able to deal with it disappearing. That is a huge job.
Just try to take pictures with mass-storage enabled in N9, will just not work for example. Although that is a minor annoyance. It is an example of what can happen. More evil things happen also.
It also meant killing apps in the background to enable it, which could cause data loss. It also meant sometimes it could not be enabled depending on what applications are open. Not to mention data loss issues/crashes with applications that don't handle it, 3rd party application not knowing what to do when the fs disappears. Not to mention all the data loss issues that exist with mass-storage currently. You know the remove safely button in windows?
I'm perfectly aware of the risks. And btw, even the N95 had an option to unmount the SD-card, so it can be removed without shutting down the OS. IIRC, it simply gracefully shut down the apps which had open handles to the SD-card. Worked for me.

Yeah I'm bitching. And this isn't even a really big deal. I'll shut up about it now. I just hope Sailfish will cater the poweruser by GUI. Speaking for myself, I'm willing to pay for a device which doesn't leave out things because it might "confuse" or "not needed" by the non-techie user. I hope I already did, by buying the Jolla.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Is USB Mass Storage feature achievable from the community, or are we stuck with (crappy) MTP unless Jolla decides to change it in a later version?

[Edit] Oh, I see that the topic was being addressed in the previous page.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-12-14 at 00:44.

Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by MisterMaster View Post
Someone apparently installed some Android launcher:

http://kuvaton.com/k/Y5tf.png
Now, that's what I call THE Ambience!

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

After all those no-FAT support complaints I'm happy to report that connecting with USB to win8 laptop results in nice two windows for discovered new devices(one says: Installing Sailfish and goes nicely, the other offers troubleshooting, probably the dummy-charging device?) I am able to access filesystem on the device. Trying to copy 4.9 GB 1080p video failed with 'larger than device limit' message. 1.8Gb 720p file copied nicely (gave option to convert) and works without unplugging, suck on that FATso (no issues with playback, mp4v/mpeg aac ~2k bitrate, seeking works pretty much instantly, neat)

edit: Jolla store is down? I can browse apps, see comments/likes, but trying to install a couple of apps and they are all 'Waiting', system update went through nicely

This is so weird, I have huge-manly hands (~1.9m body height) and that 1 millimeter less than 920 width seems like a lot, no problems whatsoever for now (though it's been only <1h in-hand, could be my fanboism/euphoria) handling one-handed, needs more time definitely, but still, so slick, oh, and WP8 have a competitor in 'buttery-smooth' department... more cooled down experience probably later (or maybe it's the lower weight?)

[edited out, my bad, it is consistent]

Store seems to be back up, all installs went through

Alarms work without the 1h skew (polish timezone/UK language)

Don't remember seeing this mentioned, but tracks >60 minutes long display only the remaining minutes after 60 in media player (79min track shows up as 19min long), both in track list and in the seeking bar (59:59 -> 00:00), loudspeaker has a very respectable volume (left only so far as was reported) aaaand it's 6 am already

In case anyone was wondering Angry Birds Go! is a GO! (gyro controls don't work, but they're hardly useful in this game, touch works fine) Not feeling any slower than 920 and the phone really is cool vs heater on the Lumia (1/10 second visual glitch when AB-type 'movie' loaded between maps happened once, but gameplay was glitchfree, Myriad did a hell of a job), need to do a comparison of battery rundown, jetpack joyride didn't make the Jolla warm while 920 becomes hot after 2-3 minutes, then again, apples and oranges, WP might be disadvantaged as developers most likely use some 'compatibility tools' to port, which probably result in CPU hogs. Have yet to find a non-working android game, so far everything just runs (tested mostly amazon appstore), ok, fruit ninja not really playable as sooner or later you will swipe out of it (not a game killer as it pauses, but is an example where native Jolla swipes impact android experience). Amazing

Last edited by szopin; 2013-12-14 at 05:39.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Ok, there are some inconsistencies in UI: gallery app, once you select a photo swipe left/right toggles next/previous, makes sense, but tap-hold for the top menu isn't obvious (and the fact it only shows after releasing the tap without any indication while holding that something else is being triggered, shows instantly on release), maybe use pulley menu here? swipe up/down is not used for anything while viewing a photo

Not sure if I understood correctly, but if we're talking about the same thing, maybe you should try only the tap part of the tap-and-hold? Then tap it again. And again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handyAndy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handyAndy View Post
Not sure if I understood correctly, but if we're talking about the same thing, maybe you should try only the tap part of the tap-and-hold? Then tap it again. And again.
Duh! Yeah, tap part of tap and hold definitely works, not sure why I... oh wait, WP8 relies on tap-holds. Ok, moving from different UI paradigm can definitely be confusing (not even for oldies :/). Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
This is not a satisfying answer to those users who are in those 1% (I would argue that their percentage is substantially higher than that). And I'm sure I'm not alone in not wanting to waste my time hardening something that should be safe in the first place (one app's data from another app, without authorization).

But fair enough, at least a straight answer. I see this kind of security is not in Jolla's first priority.
This is interesting to me, as i'd always heard that jolla android apps ran in a sandbox. So, it looks like just some compatibility layer with very little security (other than file permissions lol).

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I can't ssh in my Jolla. Every time I try: Access denied.
Has anybody else this problem?

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
After all those no-FAT support complaints I'm happy to report that connecting with USB to win8 laptop results in nice two windows for discovered new devices(one says: Installing Sailfish and goes nicely, the other offers troubleshooting, probably the dummy-charging device?) I am able to access filesystem on the device. Trying to copy 4.9 GB 1080p video failed with 'larger than device limit' message. 1.8Gb 720p file copied nicely (gave option to convert) and works without unplugging, suck on that FATso (no issues with playback, mp4v/mpeg aac ~2k bitrate, seeking works pretty much instantly, neat)

edit: Jolla store is down? I can browse apps, see comments/likes, but trying to install a couple of apps and they are all 'Waiting', system update went through nicely

This is so weird, I have huge-manly hands (~1.9m body height) and that 1 millimeter less than 920 width seems like a lot, no problems whatsoever for now (though it's been only <1h in-hand, could be my fanboism/euphoria) handling one-handed, needs more time definitely, but still, so slick, oh, and WP8 have a competitor in 'buttery-smooth' department... more cooled down experience probably later (or maybe it's the lower weight?)

[edited out, my bad, it is consistent]

Alarms work without the 1h skew (polish timezone/UK language)

Don't remember seeing this mentioned, but tracks >60 minutes long display only the remaining minutes after 60 in media player (79min track shows up as 19min long), both in track list and in the seeking bar (59:59 -> 00:00), loudspeaker has a very respectable volume (left only so far as was reported) aaaand it's 6 am already

In case anyone was wondering Angry Birds Go! is a GO! (gyro controls don't work, but they're hardly useful in this game, touch works fine) Not feeling any slower than 920 and the phone really is cool vs heater on the Lumia (1/10 second visual glitch when AB-type 'movie' loaded between maps happened once, but gameplay was glitchfree, Myriad did a hell of a job), need to do a comparison of battery rundown, jetpack joyride didn't make the Jolla warm while 920 becomes hot after 2-3 minutes, then again, apples and oranges, WP might be disadvantaged as developers most likely use some 'compatibility tools' to port, which probably result in CPU hogs. Have yet to find a non-working android game, so far everything just runs (tested mostly amazon appstore), ok, fruit ninja not really playable as sooner or later you will swipe out of it (not a game killer as it pauses, but is an example where native Jolla swipes impact android experience). Amazing
Sorry to sound like a broken record but what about offline maps turn by turn voice navigation software like that from sygic (plenty of free trials available).

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
This thread is really long. Almost to the point now where having a cohesive conversation requires a SQL query. Nevertheless, the questions and comments have me asking a few more of those UX scenario questions.

UX Questions Part 1 (Actions vs Expectations)
UX Questions Part 2 (Life Actions and Productivity)

UX Questions Part 3: Connectivity, Security, and Comms

Does the Jolla default to 3/3.5G connections; is there a mode/method to put it in 2G, 3/3.5G, or LTE mode solely? If so, how does the device respond in those states (does network connectivity affect performance of connected apps, or device as whole while connected apps are working in the background).

Since its been widely discussed that USB Mass Storage won't work, and MTP is a bit of a hassle on some mainstream OSes, let's talk about what does work: for those where connecting to a host PC OS works, what kind of functionality is available; what is the performance of transferring content to/from the device; are there any other features that a hard-wired connection has limited or enabled? What are the security notices the host PC shows?

Is there a permissions manager for Android apps? Can one be installed? If so, does it work? If not, is there room for such a configuration setting in a Settings menu?

Are buttons in consistent places? Are pull/swipe functions? Where are they not consistent - but speak only to default apps, not any you had to install (store or side-load)?

What kinds of privacy settings does the browser allow? What kinds do the maps/GPS allow? Are there privacy settings showing but not working? Are there settings not present where there would usually be?

Take a picture, save it. Edit it. Can you undo the edit? Is the original able to be saved apart from the edit?

What kinds of accessibility features are available? Contrast, font sizes, haptic feedback, etc.? What's missing? Can you figure out where you are on the device, if you started from the home screen, without looking or while squinting and the device is an arm's length away?

Take off The Other Half: is there any part of the device that doesn't work when its not on there? Is there any kind of messages that the device displays when you access the Ambience settings and The Other Half is not attached?

Given the techie/open source bent, and even though there is no file manager app by default: how does the system handle ZIP/RAR/TAR files which come from downloads or being sent (Bluetooth, email, etc)? Can you view/extract the archive? Are you able to navigate to what you unpacked after its uncompressed? Are there processes which run/hang when you try to uncompress or view these kinds of compressed files?

Have/Has any developer(s) tried developing or using scripts which automate actions? For example, features seen in apps like ProfileMatic, Situations, Tasker (Android), etc. If so, what are some of the challenges with developing this kind of application with SailfishOS? Has anyone tried Google Now or similar Android UX-AI services? If so, what were the results? How did SailfishOS like being told what to do programmatically rather than directly?
- side question: why wasn't the Nokia Bots devs, or the Situation app folks asked to make their IP part of the default shell UX; missed opportunity for #unlike differentiation that would be easier to market than "multitasking" IMO

Create a document with several types of formatting aspects added. Email it to yourself. Open it on the device. What does it look like? Do the same with a spreadsheet with calculated data fields and presentation docs with graphics and text? How does the email viewer handle formatting, links, etc.?

[same task] except, transfer the document using a physical connection from PC to device, or SSH, or add some httpd/apache/mobile web server app, and add it that way. Open the doc - find and use a file manager that doesn't have a built in document viewer. What does the system request it to be opened with? If its the browser, how's the formatting? If it asks to select an app to open (ew), which apps have correctly registered themselves as being able to be viewers of that content? Which did you expect to see but didn't.

Ok, that's all for now. I've got to sit and consider these questions and a few others (previous and unspoken). Hope any answers to these help some of you still viewing this thread. Hope it helps Jolla to continue to see and refine their features development cycles.

Last edited by ARJWright; 2013-12-14 at 08:21.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience