Poll: What is the best time for you ?
Poll Options
What is the best time for you ?

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Small comment: I know this is aimed at those who got devices at the Summit. But if you wanted a wider audience, you might want to delay until after the due despatch date in most areas.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Small comment: I know this is aimed at those who got devices at the Summit. But if you wanted a wider audience, you might want to delay until after the due despatch date in most areas.
No need, we can do more sessions later, depending on the number of applications in testing.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
It feels almost stupid that this has to be organized at all because this should ALREADY BE HAPPENING ANYWAYS. 300 people got N900s at Summit and apparently aren't interested in helping at all. Incredible.
Come on, Jay, that's a huge overstatement. I've already seen *some* activity arising from the 300 device handout.

But in my case, I wanted to use it at least a week before entering bugs or blogging about the experience. I've already discovered that several bugs aren't really bugs per se but rather possible enhancement requests or me misunderstanding a purpose. So I see some value in taking stock of the devices THEN taking some big plunges. Like this one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Come on, Jay, that's a huge overstatement. I've already seen *some* activity arising from the 300 device handout.

But in my case, I wanted to use it at least a week before entering bugs or blogging about the experience. I've already discovered that several bugs aren't really bugs per se but rather possible enhancement requests or me misunderstanding a purpose. So I see some value in taking stock of the devices THEN taking some big plunges. Like this one.
(Yes, some activity. I'm not talking about development work at all here in this thread.)

I don't think it's that much of a huge overstatement at all, actually. I've only seen, at most, maybe four or five new names appear on http://www.maemo.org/packages/ that weren't there already before Summit. No packages have seen massive jumps in thumbs up like we were expecting.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to savour the taste of the N900 before diving in with filing bugs. That takes time to do properly. It takes more information and work and reproduction steps and all that jazz. That's understandable.

Clicking a thumbs up or thumbs down to say "works for me", which takes all of 10 seconds to do, should not somehow get in the way of you taking your time with your device before filing bugs. In fact, it's the PERFECT time to be doing it because you're going to be trying out all sorts of packages to play with on your fun new toy.

It's just very discouraging when 300 people got to go to Summit, get new devices and then don't bother to take the time to vote on a package or two in return. I didn't expect everyone to do it... but at least a somewhat decent amount. 50 out of 300 people voting on at least one package shouldn't be too much to ask, but apparently it was. And I can totally understand that if these were normal end users who didn't want to bother or don't know how or whatever... but these are developers and power users.

I wasn't there, but maybe Nokia didn't push the idea of voting on packages to the 300. I don't know. And now I'm just rambling because I'm just frustrated.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I agree with Texrat - I have many enhancement requests, based upon how I feel things could be improved with the basic OS.

I have only installed 3 applications from Extras-Testing (Dataplan Monitor, WordPy and Mauku), and again, no bugs encountered. I guess I should then give thumbs up where appropriate - I did not even know the existence of this page until qole put it out there. Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
The point is to have as much applications in Extras (stable and working ones, of course) available before the devices are shipped. Of course, with Nokia choosing to ship them, as always, with Extras disabled, not sure what the rush is...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
zerojay - you've hit one frustration point that I have with the loaned devices. We were told that we had them for evaluation, but we were not told how to provide any feedback! At least this information was not provided publicly at the Summit.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I guess it also doesn't help that the interface is somewhat confusing. Be sure you're clicking on the particular version of the package you are testing so that you can give it a thumbs up from this page: http://maemo.org/packages/repository...xtras-testing/

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
zerojay - you've hit one frustration point that I have with the loaned devices. We were told that we had them for evaluation, but we were not told how to provide any feedback! At least this information was not provided publicly at the Summit.
Maybe they knew all along they were going to ship with Extras disabled, so they just didn't bring it up to you guys. *sigh*

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
The point is to have as much applications in Extras (stable and working ones, of course) available before the devices are shipped. Of course, with Nokia choosing to ship them, as always, with Extras disabled, not sure what the rush is...
Is it really disabled? (source)

edit: or is it really enabled? (source) (I have no idea)