Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Really, what makes more sense: having a stylesheet selector in the *bottom* lower corner of the website that lets you select from a few sheets which, while optimized for smaller screens, also remove certain functional elements at the same time *including* the aforementioned stylesheet selector...

Or just making the default stylesheet work for the very audience and the very device the site caters to.

That is, unless the site operators enjoy seeing this post over, and over, again -- and the users of the site like pointing out how to "fix" it over, and over, again.

Defaults are powerful things in software. Use them.

Make the site, by default, work smoothly on the tablets. You'll also make a lot of people happy at the same time.

Last edited by namtastic; 2007-12-26 at 05:03.

Originally Posted by mogers View Post
I have searched and searched this forum (yes, really have) and have seen very few posts regarding how unusable this very site is when browsing on the tablet. ...... Am I the only one who has this problem? If so, is there a fix in some tablet settings?
I can no longer read this site using N800 with OS2008. Just for the fun of it, I went to an Apple Store, and tried the IPOD Touch on this site, and it worked fine.

I have used the N800 for almost a year, and I think it's an embarrassment that this site doesn't work right on the tablets anymore.

Howard

The ugly picture at the top, and the ad, take up the whole screen, so you have to scroll every page just to see anything useful. Having to use a mobile version on an internet tablet is simply silly. And the black background is very difficult to read on a small screen. The site designers are simply clueless.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
When the site was redesigned, fairly recently, there were quite a few posts of this nature, but the coolness of the new design outvoted the dissidents, like me. I can see why the designer would be fond of his creation. The only problem is, the old design worked better for N800 users.

At the bottom of the page there is the style selector for you to pick a mobile theme. Though it looks fine on my n800 in the regular theme.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alberta, Canada
This site is a wonderful example of form over function. And of irony for that matter.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ deutschland
On my N810 this site cannot be viewed well, even if I choose another style. In Style "mobile" or ...II, ...III the threat-history isn't OK, so I don't link to itt on my tablet.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by namtastic View Post
<snip>
Defaults are powerful things in software. Use them.

Make the site, by default, work smoothly on the tablets. You'll also make a lot of people happy at the same time.
Agree -
Unless you can detect what size screen, what browser, speed of the link, etc. make the default for the audience IT friendly.

Put a warning on the first page screen:
This page best viewed on a Nokia N810 using X zoom, over Y network
To Change go to: "hotlink to options"

And give an example of what each screen may look like.
Great forum, great artwork, on a cable connected 20"screen, high speed desktop.

Also could you put the New Post link at the bottom of every page?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by cashel View Post
At the bottom of the page there is the style selector for you to pick a mobile theme. Though it looks fine on my n800 in the regular theme.
And part of my original point is that I can't even get to the style selector on my 800. If I wait long enough for the entire home page to load up, I can still barely scroll the page. While the crashing seems to have stopped, it just hangs so long as to make it a waste of time to even try to look at this site.

What really confounds me is why it apparently works fine for other users. For those who say it works with images turned off, how do you see the buttons? In my case, it hasn't worked after a fresh 2008 install with no restore and no new apps, it hasn't made any difference installing a lot of new apps, and it was almost as bad on 2007. (N800 with 8gb & 2gb cards and max full virtual ram)

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by mogers View Post
And part of my original point is that I can't even get to the style selector on my 800. If I wait long enough for the entire home page to load up, I can still barely scroll the page. While the crashing seems to have stopped, it just hangs so long as to make it a waste of time to even try to look at this site.
Do you have Adblock Plus installed? I don't see any more ads on the site...

Also, I would recommend doing the pageMoveUp/Down modification outlined in http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...4&postcount=11

To do the latter I installed becomeroot and nano and then from xterm I typed:

sudo gainroot
nano /usr/lib/microb-engine/chrome/toolkit/content/global/platformHTMLBindings.xml

Modified the two lines and saved my changes.

I then used about:config to change 'snav.enabled' to false.

These two additions transformed the site for me.