Notices

Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Has anyone noticed that the thumbnails of the PDF's take forever to load?... maybe some sort of preloading of thumbnails could do the trick.

Sai
Can you provide example PDF file where I can see this?
Adding feature request or bug, if you wish, to the garage tracker (https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?group_id=547) would also help to get this issue resolved.

Thank you.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Will Evince ever support CHM files as well? I'm somewhat against having to install FBReader just for that.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I think this thread should be renamed "I really love Evince".

I changed it, but it only shows up inside of the thread, not on the forumdisplay. A mod/admin needs to edit it (just double click from forumdisplay) or the admin could update counters in the maintenance area of the vB admin panel. It's a bug.

Feel free to make a new dedicated thread of your own, Ed_. That would probably be easier, as you could always edit the first post with relevant info if you felt like it, for forum searchers.

Last edited by cashel; 2008-02-16 at 01:15.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Ed_ View Post
Can you provide example PDF file where I can see this?
Adding feature request or bug, if you wish, to the garage tracker (https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?group_id=547) would also help to get this issue resolved.

Thank you.
Well I'm not sure if i can do that because the only ones i've tested are textbooks given to me by my professor for class use only but i can tell you they are quite large. Somewhere around 500+ pages sometimes over 1000+. Main reason i've come across this issue is that I needed to search for material within those textbooks and have realized that the thumbnails i used for scanning pages took quite a while to load. Long enough to make it kinda useless.

I'm sure the effect would be similar if you tried a PDF somewhere around that many pages.

If i come across something similar I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Sai

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Will Evince ever support CHM files as well? I'm somewhat against having to install FBReader just for that.
Unfortunately it's out of scope of maemo port. I think this kind of questions is better to be addressed to mainstream evince developers.
You can see details about .chm support in 'Possible or planned to support' section of this document http://live.gnome.org/Evince/SupportedDocumentFormats on the main Evince site.

Last edited by Ed_; 2008-02-16 at 09:28.

Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Somewhere around 500+ pages sometimes over 1000+. Main reason i've come across this issue is that I needed to search for material within those textbooks and have realized that the thumbnails i used for scanning pages took quite a while to load. Long enough to make it kinda useless.
Well, with large documents like that there can be memory issues even for processing the document itself, not only for thumbnails. I'm not sure if I can help with that.

Originally Posted by cashel View Post
Feel free to make a new dedicated thread of your own, Ed_. That would probably be easier, as you could always edit the first post with relevant info if you felt like it, for forum searchers.
I'm OK with the current name. However I wouldn't mind if author renames it.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Ed_ View Post
Well, with large documents like that there can be memory issues even for processing the document itself, not only for thumbnails. I'm not sure if I can help with that.
yea it does seem to be quite outrageous. What if it loaded thumbnailsa and saved them somewhere to be retrieved? not sure if that would make any difference at all.

btw if thumnails or index sidebar is off. it loads fine one page at a time. just as fast as the original pdf reader.

Is there anyway to have it set the default directory for open files? So when I click open, it always opens in a directory of my choosing?