Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Hi,

I'd like to thank everyone who attended the Public Maemo Community Council Meeting this morning on freenode.net/maemo-meeting. You can read the meeting archive for a line-by-line output of the proceedings.

Unfortunately, while we had a number of people in attendance, there were only a couple who were vocal. Likewise, a few of those who really wanted this meeting to occur were not present.

Below are the conclusions to the agenda items posted here. While the meeting ended with these conclusions, they are still up for debate. As we are an open source community, so should be the methodology that we use within our community infrastructure. More commentary to come below.

1. One place for all communication.
  • We have decided that, for the time being, the Maemo Community Council will continue to utilize the Council Blog for all Council- and Community-related announcements. If you haven't subscribed to the Planet RSS feed, please do so now.
  • Any other community-related discussion will occur here in the newly renamed Community subforum.
  • The Council wiki will be an information-only location.
  • If the maemo-community mailing list becomes integrated with the Talk forums, it will coincide with the Community subforum.

2. Representing the Maemo Community (maemo.org).
  • The Maemo Community Council will do it's best to track community-related ideas and issues and support those which have a majority of community-support. If you feel like you need an idea or issue addressed, please do so in the Community subforum.
  • A Council-generated summary of community-related action items will be published at the end of each month on the Council blog.

3. Representing Nokia Maemo SW (now Maemo Devices).
  • As stated above, the Maemo Community Council will continue to present and push community-related ideas and issues to Maemo Devices and the maemo.org staff. But, the Council will no longer attempt to announce any information brought to the Council unless it is community-related. It has been decided that only Nokia should announce Nokia- and Maemo-related information.

4. Redefinition of Community Council.
  • The Council wiki page will be altered so that it reflects an edited variation of Quim Gil's recommendation here. COMPLETED.

5. Regular Maemo Community town hall meetings.
  • One idea was to have twice-monthly "open office" hours where two Council members and three community members must be present for the meeting to commence.
  • This idea was also met with a little argument, so it needs to be further discussed.
  • Please provide feedback and additional ideas

Again, these topics are still up for debate, so let us know how you would like us to proceed.

Thank you,
Tim

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-06-08 at 17:01.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I had another idea about #2 on the way to work...

It seems to me that another very concrete way that Nokia would use the Council to represent the community would be as a ready-made group of community reps for official Maemo events. So if Nokia wants to tout the community around the Maemo platform, they don't have to ask Quim (or someone else) to find people from the Community, they can choose from the members of the Council. I really think that the community chose the Council to be community representatives most of all.

A corollary of this should be that there is always at least one Council member at all Maemo events. We have a broad enough range of Council members, from hard-core developers to engaged users, that there should be at least one Council member who can attend...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I know it's only Monday, but I'm going to make this sticky, because I'm surprised that more people haven't commented. (Proof that none of this matters to anyone?)

Tim

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Tim, I read through the meeting. There was a lot of information there to digest. Although there is a lot I would like to comment on, I would like to take the time to read it again. It was very informative and enlightening.

However, I found it very disappointing/unprofessional/unbecoming to.see multiple jabs made towards "vocal" members of the forum community for not caring enough to show up. Perhaps they had other "real life" obligations (work, family, etc). Those types of comments only serve to foster the "us" and "them" feelings that are one of the current problems in our community.

Perhaps those types of comments even persuaded other less vocal members that their opinions are not taken seriously and not worth the time to make, hence the lack of comments here.

lemmyslender, I see your point, but the fact of the matter is that the meeting was organized based on the comments by some of those people. And, clearly, most of them have time to comment here, so... I was hoping to see them there.

I don't think anyone was expressing anything other than frustration based on the Council attempting to be open and not seeing those who were requesting the openness.

Sorry if anyone is offended. AFAIK, the comments were fairly minimal considering the scope of the meeting.

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Very interesting, thanks!

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
We have decided that, for the time being, the Maemo Community Council will continue to utilize the Council Blog for all Council- and Community-related announcements. If you haven't subscribed to the Planet RSS feed, please do so now.
Actually the Council blog has a feed in its own: http://maemo.org/community/council/atom.xml

It has been decided that only Nokia should announce Nokia- and Maemo-related information.
Isn't this what is already happening? Please clarify so we can do better our part of the job.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Actually the Council blog has a feed in its own: http://maemo.org/community/council/atom.xml
Thanks! I was looking for it, but couldn't find it. (Asked X-Fade on IRC too, but he wasn't around.)

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Isn't this what is already happening? Please clarify so we can do better our part of the job.
I think so. Although, I think there was a bit of confusion (among community- and Council-members alike), so I felt it was good to discuss and state plainly. In any case, let's try to accomplish this from here on out.

Tim

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Thanks! I was looking for it, but couldn't find it.
You can simply go to the page and look at the feeds your browser is detecting...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
However, I found it very disappointing/unprofessional/unbecoming to.see multiple jabs made towards "vocal" members of the forum community for not caring enough to show up. Perhaps they had other "real life" obligations (work, family, etc).
Because, of course, we don't have "real life" obligations? If someone was eager to turn up, but couldn't, there have been numerous places for them to either say that directly, or post their thoughts ahead of time on Tim's agenda.

You're "lucky" in that you're seeing a raw meeting log - in addition to Tim's minutes above. Any normal meeting in the real world would probably also feature comments which could be construed as jibes towards people who'd requested the meeting but then not turned up; or sent an apology ahead of time. These don't get minuted directly, but the comments are still made.

Perhaps those types of comments even persuaded other less vocal members that their opinions are not taken seriously and not worth the time to make, hence the lack of comments here.
It's a vicious circle, then. "We" attempted to break it by reviewing our performance to date and inviting anyone to come along and influence our direction.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
However, I found it very disappointing/unprofessional/unbecoming to.see multiple jabs made towards "vocal" members of the forum community for not caring enough to show up. Perhaps they had other "real life" obligations (work, family, etc). Those types of comments only serve to foster the "us" and "them" feelings that are one of the current problems in our community.
As you're new to the community, you've missed out on a lot of history behind those comments.

It's consistently been shown that anything that elicits a large and vehement response initially will inevitably receive very little useful input once the *****'n'moan phase has been passed and the constructive improvement phase has been reached.

People never provide input when input is requested, and then complain once a discussion is had and consensus is reached, but never bother to provide useful input once the issue is reopened. It wears thin very shortly.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
communication, community, forums, maemo community council, meeting, talk