Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
What if you already had a blackberry pin? Would that make a difference?
To copy myself from the other thread:
----------------------------------------------
I wasn't familiar with BBM at all before this thread popped up, but now after some googling around, yeah, I gotta agree. Blackberries apparently all have a unique PIN assigned to them, written in the ROM, and impossible to change, and that PIN number is used to communicate with RIM servers. There is a BB Connect SDK which apparently allows one to generate a PIN, but working out how to use the SDK, compiling it for N900, and then figuring out the actual BBM implementation is a lot of work since atleast I simply cannot find a single application with source codes that'd allow one to connect to BBM.

So, first you'd need to find a way to get a suitable PIN number that the servers even accept at all. Probably doable via BB Connect.

Then you'd need to analyze all the packet data going back and forth between the servers and BBM itself, figure out the exact API, what kind of encryption you might need and all that. Months, if not years, worth of research.

Third, you'd need to create the actual application. Still worth atleast weeks of worth, most likely months.
-------------------------------

It's not the PIN that is the biggest issue. But yes, a PIN can only be active on one device at a time, and most likely if the same PIN was used by 2 or more BBM instances at the same time RIM would ban the PIN.

As much as I commend this effort, it is fruitless.

There is no Blackberry Messenger application for any platform other than Blackberry.

You need to get your facts straight, first and foremost. RIM does not license it out nor do they even provide any documentation for using the protocol outside of internal API for ON-DEVICE applications.

If you're talking about a third party application, like WhatsApp - that's different and you need to rename your thread.

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
As much as I commend this effort, it is fruitless.

There is no Blackberry Messenger application for any platform other than Blackberry.

You need to get your facts straight, first and foremost. RIM does not license it out nor do they even provide any documentation for using the protocol outside of internal API for ON-DEVICE applications.

If you're talking about a third party application, like WhatsApp - that's different and you need to rename your thread.
Do you mean they no longer do so or have never ever done so? Because my brother in law said he had BBM on his old Sony Ericsson.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
finally !! a bbm app !! yes the iphone has it, it would be awesome if we can too, dude best of luck, i hope someone helps you, there are brilliant developers here that might help .....

Do you mean they no longer do so or have never ever done so? Because my brother in law said he had BBM on his old Sony Ericsson.
Your brother in law is lieing...

I can only find references to Blackberry _email client_ for Sony Ericsson phones, not Blackberry messenger. I doubt your brother is correct.

The Following User Says Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
finally !! a bbm app !! yes the iphone has it,
And the name of it?

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by WereCatf View Post
And the name of it?
kik or WhatsApp

Google is a wonderful thing!

The Following User Says Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Accessing the RIM server with no legit license would be pretty much illegal.

Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
kik or WhatsApp
Neither of those are BBM-compatible. They run on Blackberry, yes, but they use their own protocol and servers and cannot connect to BBM servers.

EDIT: Direct quote: "WhatsApp only works among users who have the application" from http://www.whatsapp.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:

Tags
messaging, no you aren't, pingchat