Active Topics

Notices

I using the VE on the Maemo Mapper, since Google and yahoo does not work, BUt I want to Download the whole United states at one time... Can Anyone tell me how to download the map of the us and any Hotels and stuff with the map? Thanks!

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Zoom out until you see all of the US. Go to Menu > Maps > Manage Maps. Click on the Zoom tab and choose all the Zoom Levels that you want and click OK. Just a heads up that this is going to be a huge download.

Are you sure you need the entire US at all zoom levels?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson L. Squeeko For This Useful Post:
I'm with Nelson. The entire US at all zoom levels is something like 100 gig. My suggestion is to only do the zoom levels starting at 16 and going down to 6. You'll almost never need 4 and 2. At least that's been my experience, and before getting my Garmin I used MM via my NIT a LOT and not once did I ever find a time when anything below 6 was either necessary, or practical. I do have a zoom of 4 for Las Vegas, but that's only because I needed the fine grain detail for city navigation, and that's about the only place I have it for, save for a couple small towns up here in Michigan.

But if you want to download them, I recommend actually doing it on the PC. You'll first want to get the download script and information on usage in this post here and then install everything you need.

Next, you'll need your four GPS markers to set the range which getmaps needs to grab the data from. To do that, go into Maemo Mapper, zoom and navigate to the area you want to download, then click the menu, maps, manage maps, then click the second tab. It'll tell you your coords. It should be labeled "area". It's not the top four numbers you want, but rather the bottom four, and you want them exactly in the order they appear. They'll be top, left, bottom and right.

Next, type this on the command line:

getmaps GStreet.sqlite -t 44.86000 -l -88.43000 -b 39.83000 -r -81.62000 -z 16 -z 14 -z 12 -z 10 -z 8 -z 6

Now let me break this down for you so it's understandable. getmaps is the command that runs this script. GStreet.sqlite is the database you'll be building for MM. -t, -l (that's a lower case L), -b, and -r are the top, left, bottom and right coordinates respectively that you grabbed from MM. The repeated -r ## values are the zoom levels. Doing the even numbers from 16 down to 6 is all you'll need. The total build time for this will be about 7-8 days under ideal conditions. 2 weeks or so if things get bumpy.

Just a word of warning. You might want to toss that command line into a simple perl script or use some tool to restart it automatically when it exits, because it will exit about every 10k-20k tiles. Sometimes as often as every 2k-3k tiles. This is not a fault of the script, but rather python itself since any tiny dns hiccup will cause it to fail and exit. An automatic restart will do the job. Just be sure you have some kind of ability to break the script once it's completed all of its work.

The total database I built came to about 7.9gb. It contains all of the even numbered zoom levels, from 16 down to 6, plus a zoom level 4 for the Las Vegas area (I was planning on using it for CES this year) and a couple other local towns in Michigan. If someone's got a place to park it and doesn't mind hosting a nearly 8gb file, I could be a sweatheart and save a ton of work for you guys by uploading it so you can grab it without having to build your own.

The other option is bittorrent, but I don't have an open tracker to use. If someone has that, I can just toss it on Bittorrent for everyone to grab. From there you can modify or customize it to your liking. The build is dated the 14th of August, so it's still pretty current.

One last thing, to install it you'll first need to copy it to the tablet onto your external SD card, as it's too big for the internal cards. Then you'll need to go into Maemo Mapper, make a new repository from scratch, select sqlite as the database type, name it "Google", specify the path to the db, and the db itself, and then save it. From there it should load without a problem.

Hope that helps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
What happen to the Goggle nad Yahoo maps and streets? Anyone ever find the New URL??

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
I'm with Nelson. The entire US at all zoom levels is something like 100 gig. My suggestion is to only do the zoom levels starting at 16 and going down to 6. You'll almost never need 4 and 2. At least that's been my experience, and before getting my Garmin I used MM via my NIT a LOT and not once did I ever find a time when anything below 6 was either necessary, or practical. I do have a zoom of 4 for Las Vegas, but that's only because I needed the fine grain detail for city navigation, and that's about the only place I have it for, save for a couple small towns up here in Michigan.

But if you want to download them, I recommend actually doing it on the PC. You'll first want to get the download script and information on usage in this post here and then install everything you need.

Next, you'll need your four GPS markers to set the range which getmaps needs to grab the data from. To do that, go into Maemo Mapper, zoom and navigate to the area you want to download, then click the menu, maps, manage maps, then click the second tab. It'll tell you your coords. It should be labeled "area". It's not the top four numbers you want, but rather the bottom four, and you want them exactly in the order they appear. They'll be top, left, bottom and right.

Next, type this on the command line:

getmaps GStreet.sqlite -t 44.86000 -l -88.43000 -b 39.83000 -r -81.62000 -z 16 -z 14 -z 12 -z 10 -z 8 -z 6

Now let me break this down for you so it's understandable. getmaps is the command that runs this script. GStreet.sqlite is the database you'll be building for MM. -t, -l (that's a lower case L), -b, and -r are the top, left, bottom and right coordinates respectively that you grabbed from MM. The repeated -r ## values are the zoom levels. Doing the even numbers from 16 down to 6 is all you'll need. The total build time for this will be about 7-8 days under ideal conditions. 2 weeks or so if things get bumpy.

Just a word of warning. You might want to toss that command line into a simple perl script or use some tool to restart it automatically when it exits, because it will exit about every 10k-20k tiles. Sometimes as often as every 2k-3k tiles. This is not a fault of the script, but rather python itself since any tiny dns hiccup will cause it to fail and exit. An automatic restart will do the job. Just be sure you have some kind of ability to break the script once it's completed all of its work.

The total database I built came to about 7.9gb. It contains all of the even numbered zoom levels, from 16 down to 6, plus a zoom level 4 for the Las Vegas area (I was planning on using it for CES this year) and a couple other local towns in Michigan. If someone's got a place to park it and doesn't mind hosting a nearly 8gb file, I could be a sweatheart and save a ton of work for you guys by uploading it so you can grab it without having to build your own.

The other option is bittorrent, but I don't have an open tracker to use. If someone has that, I can just toss it on Bittorrent for everyone to grab. From there you can modify or customize it to your liking. The build is dated the 14th of August, so it's still pretty current.

One last thing, to install it you'll first need to copy it to the tablet onto your external SD card, as it's too big for the internal cards. Then you'll need to go into Maemo Mapper, make a new repository from scratch, select sqlite as the database type, name it "Google", specify the path to the db, and the db itself, and then save it. From there it should load without a problem.

Hope that helps.

Someone posted the new satellite url not long back. The streets one is still valid though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:

Why not use... dun dun dun OpenTracker (created when everyone heard theThe Pirate Bay was going to be sold). But I think Google would object to you sharing that, so I wouldn't. At least not on bittorent.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
I cant get my streets to work, do you know the url for google or yahoo. I looked and I can't seem to find it??? Thanks!

Someone posted the new satellite url not long back. The streets one is still valid though.

I want a zoom level of about 2 for the us, you got just that. I dont know where you can post it at, but that would be nice if you could post it here....

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Why not use... dun dun dun OpenTracker (created when everyone heard theThe Pirate Bay was going to be sold). But I think Google would object to you sharing that, so I wouldn't. At least not on bittorent.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
This worked recently for me:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=176

Down to level 2, for the whole US? That strikes me as absurd. Why would you want that? Why would you want level 2 for any area?

Yeah, level 2 is a bit pointless. Especially the whole USA... why get places you know your never going go. (especially desert parts of the USA lol).

Level 4 is the closest I ever downloaded and it was already detailed enough.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia 770, nokia n800