Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Hmmm, well, I recognize that the first person who bricks will post (RIGHT!?), but please keep up the updates, i.e. stable runtimes while overclocked. Inquiring minds like to know!

The Following User Says Thank You to iamNarada For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by titan View Post
0x3C is the maximum, used for everything >= 600MHz.
above 800MHz the DSP is clocked to 500MHz instead of 430MHz.
For 125MHz I use a lower voltage than (the original one) for 250MHz.
Is it needed? Did you try to use the same voltage - it may prevent switching to highest frequency.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by miwalter View Post
No - it's not save. All the people reporting they run at 900 or more are only posting here to amuse themselfes and get innocent souls like you to brick their device.

the sky is falling, the sky is falling....

ok chicken little, make sure it is not an apple.

its been a couple of days now and still no crash and rock solid at the 900mhz (w/o the DSP bump)

The Following User Says Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure if this was reported before, but I'm unable to use the "search thread" function for some reason, so please excuse me if this is a repost.

I've OCed my phone today to 800 mhz following the instructions in jakiman awesome post, then used the following command to fix the "about" page :
apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-003-pr

everything seemed to be running smoothly, until I got on the bus heading back home and started panucci to continue an audio book I was listening to, I had no problems with the files from this book before but now they seem to stutter a lot, like every 1-3 mins

I do believe this is related to OCing the device, but I'm going to test more by restoring the original kernel then replaying the same files and see if I get the stuttering or now, and will report here.

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 327 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Doing the hazard testings and wondering how the hell the moto droid guys got to 1200mhz. That clock speed seriously is asking for more voltage AND A LOT OF IT! For now the 1100mhz is "behind a switch" for me as I dont trust the thing to run it when it wishes.

Audio stuttering might be related to 125MHz. When using mplayer to play mp3 file, I noticed that the frequency changes sometime between 125 and 250. Without good enough buffering it might cause stuttering.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
All you need do is edit the line

scaling_max_freq 600000

and replace it with whatever you want the max to be for example

scaling_max_freq 850000

save - reboot.
Sorry to All..this maybe a stupid question but..i'll thanks some info that anyone can provide.

I'm Running the 900 Mhz Kernel about 2 days..all fastest, no issues, all going good enought!

I'm reading this threads..so..i'm not realy in 900 MHz ? Need to do: scaling_max_freq 850000 at that config file?

Sorry for my 'dont understanding' ..

Than you all.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by nokian-series View Post
Sorry to All..this maybe a stupid question but..i'll thanks some info that anyone can provide.

I'm Running the 900 Mhz Kernel about 2 days..all fastest, no issues, all going good enought!

I'm reading this threads..so..i'm not realy in 900 MHz ? Need to do: scaling_max_freq 850000 at that config file?

Sorry for my 'dont understanding' ..

Than you all.
Do in X-Term application:

echo "900000" >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

and it switches your N900 to 900MHz maximum frequency.

(EDIT: wrong file)

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by titan View Post
There is a new stable overclockable kernel in extras-testing.
Installation is very simple: install the package kernel-flasher-maemo (section system in HAM), shutdown and cold boot. There's no need for reflashing etc.
It requires firmware PR1.1 or newer.

The default limit is at stable 600MHz. This is the same setting as the stock kernel and is safe.

This kernel makes it possible dynamically change the maximum frequency up to 1.2GHz (supported frequencies are 250,500,550,600,700,750,800,850,900,950,1000,1100, 1200MHz)
WARNING: Overclocking may damage your device and is at your own risk!
You can manually increase the limit until your device fries using, e.g. for 600MHz
Code:
sudo gainroot
echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
The last line shows which value was actually set.
This setting takes effect immediately and is cleared with the next reboot.
To permanently fix the limit edit the scaling_max_freq setting in /etc/pmconfig (using vi).
WARNING: Permanent overclocking is very dangerous!

Apart from overclocking, this kernel has a lot of other features
(2.6.28.10, PR1.2 SDK patches etc) see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43420
It also retains the version info in Settings -> Product info.
If it works well for you, please vote at
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....6.28-maemo19/

PS: 125MHz is deliberately not included, see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=141

Good luck!
Many thanks titan!!!

If anyone is having issues with this it may be may due to inadvertently installing kernel-flasher-maemo from the Dev Testing repository instead of the Testing repo.

I was initially having no luck, I kept editing /etc/pmconfig, reboot / shutdown but it kept reverting!

Then I realised I installed kernel-flasher from Maemo Extra-devel NOT Maemo Extras-testing as I had both of these enabled!

So I disabled the Dev repo which resulted in Application Manager prompting to update kernel-flasher-maemo to a higher version from Testing. Updated and pleased to report changes made to /etc/pmconfig are now persistent.

User error!

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Can you show an output of

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

while kernel has 125MHz capability?

900000 640923
595000 11019
500000 162639
250000 82307
125000 2327638

does that mean anything??

The Following User Says Thank You to UNderworld For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom