Active Topics

Notices

Hi to everyone,

Lets create a list of the "battery killers" known apps, widgets and mods (with fixes if possible).

I think that way we can save a lot of searching and decide with app to install...

Don't forget to specify version of the app and the version of the PR and if you have any kernel mod!

Tks a lot! and lets colaborate!

PS - The list starts in Post #12

Last edited by dimbert; 2010-11-02 at 19:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to dimbert For This Useful Post:
It's kinda hard to find a source of memory leak don't you think? Unless we test each program one by one and look at the memory usage/cpu usage. Btw, memory leaks don't really cause a significant increase battery usage.but It might slow down system at the end because system will switch to swap memory.

Last edited by aligatro; 2010-11-02 at 18:08.

Originally Posted by aligatro View Post
It's kinda hard to find a source of memory leak don't you think? Unless we test each program one by one and look at the memory usage/cpu usage. Btw, memory leaks don't really cause a significant increase battery usage.but It might slow down system at the end because system will switch to swap memory.
Tks for you reply aligatro.

But I think we can make a list of know issues witch causes batt drain (catorise in PR1.2 for example).
I don't really uses but some users told a similar problem with Foreca Weather....

That's the purpose... Help people to save battery and have a faster N900!

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by dimbert View Post
But I think we can make a list of know issues witch causes batt drain (catorise in PR1.2 for example).
!
This is a bug in hildon-desktop, not catorise, and is to do with menu sub directories.

To rectify this you can istall MohammadAG or Matans modified hildon-desktop.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
No, it's not because of sub directories, it's because of short lists that don't scroll, the app menu keeps bouncing fast and you don't notice it, but the CPU does

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Ok...

So let's make clear... I understand I'm using the wrong words to specify the meaning of the list...

The bottom line is:

- if you install Catorise in PR 1.2 your batt drains
(solution MohammadAG mod)

I'm sorry if I choose a terrible name for the thread...

I just want to help people save battery, and sometimes there are apps. widgets or bugs to be avoided....

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
No, it's not because of sub directories, it's because of short lists that don't scroll, the app menu keeps bouncing fast and you don't notice it, but the CPU does
Thats some really good programming by nokia then!
Was that the case in PR1.1.1 as well? Maybe the reason for getting rid of the more menu.

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Have you seen this? http://wiki.maemo.org/How_To_Make_Yo...ry_Last_Longer
That's right... Read this (from the link you post it)

"Some applications, especially unofficial ones, may use up far more battery life than they're supposed to because they're badly programmed. If you find that your tablet's battery life has suddenly turned to mush since you installed an application even though you don't use it very much, bad programming in the application may well be to blame. The easiest way to check if this is the case is to remove the application and see if the battery life improves.

Most applications work fine and don't mess around with battery life, but some do, and it's this minority that you have to watch out for."

So let's make a list of badly programmed apps witch eats the battery...

I'm sorry, I'm not a English native speaker... Can I make clear the meaning of this thread? Looks like the people is not getting it!

Tks to all!

What the thread starter just want is for use members to post applications, widgets or applets which cause battery drain or slowdown on our device. Also the thread starter doesn't want us to test each and every application on the repository. He/She just want you to post what applications you have already used which caused the specified problems.

Tags
let's eat