Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanks, guys. I really believe that this is what the Council is for.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by CommunityCouncil View Post
It will come as a surprise for many community members and users that
Python is still not an officially supported language/runtime on the Maemo nor
MeeGo platforms, despite the huge number of* Python applications currently
in Extras, and even though they base on the work of Nokia's own PyMaemo
team, plus two Qt bindings and a GTK+/Hildon one. To put things in
perspective, about a third of ALL stable Maemo applications are written in
Python, both overall and those using Qt.

...Python software is not admissible to
Ovi (regardless of being free or not)....

Link: Original article.
I'm flabbergasted at this!

This should really be a matter of the utmost urgency.

The last thing Nokia need it to discourage developers contributing software to the platform as well as the OVI store.

about a third of ALL stable Maemo applications are written in
Python, both overall and those using Qt.
This is reason enough to make Python an officially supported language and Nokia need this.

I can't wait for Nokia's response to this.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
There is no fight, just something that hasn't been done yet due to technical reasons (ovi store deployment for N900 is not an entirely finalized process).

EDIT: I mean there is no fight *yet* ;-). Of course Ovi store or fremantle platfom guys can still object. But I haven't heard anything that suggests there would be a "strategic" decision not to do this.
It would be nice and re-assuring to get a formal response from Nokia on this.
(stop laughing!)

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
(stop laughing!)
From http://maemo.org/community/council/o...eego_platform/

Quim Gil
Quim Gil

My colleague Ronan and myself are taking this open letter and bringing it to the Ovi team to see what is the official standpoint now and in the future.

Where do you want to continue this discussion?
2010-08-05 15:49 UTC

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
This is exactly kind of stuff what I expect council to do here. Great job! Letīs hope that we got some sort of solution or at least clear answer.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Still working on it.

The current and default position is clear: Ovi supports the toolkits supported officially by Nokia and these are Qt, Web Runtime, Hildon (Maemo 5) and Java (Series 40).

The discussion is whether Ovi could host toolkits not officially supported (meaning supported by someone else) and not pre-installed in the device, so they could be used as dependencies by apps in the Ovi store depending on them.

More details in this discussion:

- Is Python support the solution or is it a process in place to accept new toolkits?

- What Python support are we talking about? PyMaemo, PySide and/or PyQt?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The current and default position is clear: Ovi supports the toolkits supported officially by Nokia and these are Qt, Web Runtime, Hildon (Maemo 5) and Java (Series 40).
Eevn that contains a surprising snippet - Ovi supports Hildon applications ? How do you submit them ? All the non-Qt applications were inserted on a case-by-case basis either before Ovi for the N900 launched or AFAIK in direct cooperation with Nokia. So while we are at it, more info about this welcome.

The discussion is whether Ovi could host toolkits not officially supported (meaning supported by someone else) and not pre-installed in the device, so they could be used as dependencies by apps in the Ovi store depending on them.
In many cases it's not supported by someone else, but Nokia itself, but the projects have not yet attained 'official status'. Even there, signals are mixed, for example Qt Mobility is 'official' and is in Nokia repositories, but isn't supported by Ovi. From the outside, it simply looks random what the supported library selection is.

- Is Python support the solution or is it a process in place to accept new toolkits?
The former is a subset of the latter. There are other toolkits that might be very enticing, but without official status (Python, the Web Runtime, Java ME, etc), and also other fairly generic linux libraries that are for some (space, support ?) reason put into Extras.

- What Python support are we talking about? PyMaemo, PySide and/or PyQt?
Obviously, the first step is base Python itself (which might be interesting for plans regarding Symbian, too), closely followed by PyMaemo in the case of the N900. Now, given that console applications are not all the rage these days, PySide and/or PyQt would be more than interesting, but that's more down the line and a bit more sensitive considering the status of those projects. If we have a process how things migrate between Ovi, Nokia and Extras repositories, we can figure out how to do it with exact package X or Y.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Even there, signals are mixed, for example Qt Mobility is 'official' and is in Nokia repositories, but isn't supported by Ovi. From the outside, it simply looks random what the supported library selection is.
It's not a signal, it's a screwup that has already been escalated.

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Quick report before welcoming the weekend...

Some progress was done this week. vivainio has done a great job defining a polishing a technical proposal to offer PyMaemo 'silent support' for Maemo 5 apps. And we have learned that there is a plan to offer PySide also silently for MeeGo-Harmattan apps.

Trying to get a decision about PyMaemo for Maemo 5 apps, then.

Note that the rationale behind this goes around the fact that Python and PySide are already being maintained for testing/infra related purposes. The fact that they are also useful from a 3rd party developer point of view is like a bonus and we don't have any interest distracting developers from the main focus: Web Runtime & Qt.

Looking forward to decisions, hopefully next week. We hope this becomes a good compromise between the community developers interested in Ovi but not the official toolkits and the Nokia/Ovi strategy of clearly focusing in one native environment and one runtime.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
That might contribute why Ovi has so few apps... What the purpose to buy N900 without apps?

Go for it guys

N900; Maemo 5 PR 1.2