Hi everyone -

I am thinking about buying a N810, and am looking to learn a couple of details on the device from those of you that are using them.

My usage of Internet at home most nights are checking Gmail, using Google reader, general web browsing, and IM.

How does Google reader render in the N810 browser? Is it usable? I assume Google gears (for offline google reader support) is not supported, is that accurate? If Google reader does not work well, how about bloglines?

(I tend to use a few different machines for RSS, so I need support of a service that keeps the feeds in sync between the various systems.)

Gmail web interface is OK? I know I can now use the IMAP interface worst case, however I do like the web interface best.

Any other items I should watch for?

Thanks everyone.

google reader works fine. I'm using it every day and no problem with IT2008 (with microb browser) and IT2007(microb browser, doesn't work with opera).
gmail works fine too! newest gmail interface is quite slow to render so i've stopped using it and i'm using modest with imap gmail.. no problems!
also google docs works w/o problems!

The Following User Says Thank You to sKaBoy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Phoenix, AZ
google reader works great for me, i installed the osx style google reader theme from userstyles.org as a greasemonkey script and i think it increased the readability on the tablet, i also gmail ui=1(the old one) and it works well enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to pablo For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies!

Follow up question - With the big price difference between the N810 and N800, I am very tempted to pick up the N800. Are the sites and services I mentioned pretty usable without a constant keyboard?

I am a bit concerned about the on screen keyboard interface and how well that will work. This is simply from not having used it before.

Thanks
Jim

well, i have N800 so i don't speak about n810.. but:
- google reader: no keyboard access so no problem here!
- gmail: i write occasional mails and i don't have problems.. maybe it depends on how many mails you write every day.

i think the really cool think about n810 is not the keyboard but the display that works fine with sunlight! but i don't have money for it now

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
I have used Gmail and Google Reader with my N800 regularly since the last OS07 firmware update and can report that they both work quite well without the need for a keyboard. These are 'must have' apps (gmail obviously for me and my use of them (for me anyway) is an affirmation of the whole 'internet' part of the tablet experience. I am one of the few not clamoring for a better email app simply because I find using gmail so easy. I am one of those users who is happy to leave all my email on google's server where I can find it wherever I am and whatever device I'm using.

As for the reader, it's much the same for the local rss reader. I don't use the local app because I can get all my feeds on the net with quick links to the stories because I'm already running the browser.

I've had the privilege of being able to get an N810 as well, and can tell you it works even better on the OS08 software. This is not the same, tho, as running the OS08 on the N800, which I've not done. Since there are so many solid apps for the OS07, I'm keeping that on my N800 for now

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
I am one of the few not clamoring for a better email app simply because I find using gmail so easy. I am one of those users who is happy to leave all my email on google's server where I can find it wherever I am and whatever device I'm using. As for the reader, it's much the same for the local rss reader.
That's great if you're using it at destinations that always have wifi, but for places in between offline-enabled apps are much better. For me, they're essential. IMAP with gmail should bridge the gap nicely, but the email program on my N810 sucks hard; won't start most of the time, when it does start it gets errors, and then just when I'd given up on it and switched to Claws Mail, the other mail program decides to start itself up and download all 2000 messages - but just the headers. That's a crappy program. I can't believe they let it out the door.

Claws Mail is pretty good - very powerful and works almost 100% on the N810. My only issue is that I can't set it to just download the last 3 days worth of messages or something, which would be a nice way to save space. And I still seem to have problems only getting the headers. Is that a gmail thing?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
That's great if you're using it at destinations that always have wifi, but for places in between offline-enabled apps are much better.
No question, Weatherman, you are right. That's certainly true for folks who have a lot of email to manage and are not in a wifi spot consistently. To affirm your point, I've heard as many good things about Claws as bad things about the built in app.

It's a personal thing really...I simply decided that I am better off waiting till I'm online to get to the emails...it's why I abandoned the crackberry

BTW I've read here in ITT that Modest Mail is coming, but the notes I've seen are still for the advanced users. I'll wait for an install file

The Following User Says Thank You to Greyghost For This Useful Post:
Is mnotify or something like it working with the N810/OS2008 yet?

Originally Posted by bexley View Post
Is mnotify or something like it working with the N810/OS2008 yet?
I've got it working with my N800/OS2008 so it should work for the 810 I would guess.