Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Some of the killer applications:
Kile (LateX IDE)
Inkscape (Vector Graphics)
Dia (Diagramm Editor)

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I am a heavy user of Amazon, but I would say that the Amazon widget is the worst of all because it is just an advertisement for Amazon. FBreader is great, but I have a Kindle for that sort of thing. I like the GPS applications Map and Maemo Mapper. Mgutenberg is a great companion app for FBreader. The new Battery app is handy. (I'm not making any distinction between apps and utilities.) The Evernote mobile bookmark is useful. Foreca Weather is great. Witter is the best twitter app so far. Conboy is a good note application. Chess is worthless, speaking as a chess expert. Evopedia is probably fine as a portable Wikipedia client; I haven't gotten it working as of yet, but I haven't tried much. FM Radio works fine for me, though it is mysterious and willful. KMPlayer is one of the media players worth having; there are several. MediaBox is another. Miniature is not yet a good chess program for my purposes. Anything with the letters "liq" is either good or fun or both. Mirror is fun. NoLazy didn't work for me. I thought Recorder was surprisingly good. Vim is a fun classic. Xchat is a must. Zoutube or Mytube are good. I like the Rss program ok until something better comes along. I imagine that several good pdf programs are coming, such as Evince. There are several intriguing calculator programs. Conversations is useful. The media player is good.

There are lots of other programs and more to come, but those are the only ones I'm using or have tried much so far.

Edit: I forgot browsers! I haven't found any browsers except for the default browser worth installing so far; so thumbs down to old friends Tear, Firefox, Midori.

For add-ons, I use Adblock Plus and Greasemonkey and would use the one that unhides passwords that you are typing in if it were available.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-01-16 at 16:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Nobody's mentioned "Flashlight applet" so far. It is far superior to liqtorch. As far as I can tell liqtorch just makes the screen white, while the flashlight applet actually turns on the camera flash LEDs.

The Following User Says Thank You to nobodysbusiness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Los Angeles
I am sorry to see that nobody cited maep.

I just found that application this week and am very found of it. It is beautiful, quick and effective. It's a great map application and can be used offline with the data previously downloaded.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Zoutube or Mytube are good.
Digia @scene duplicates the offline YouTube viewing functionality of ZouTube, and seemed to work better for me even thought it is still in the -devel repository.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ France
can't use the n900 without:
openvpn+openvpn applet
openssh server+client
adblock plus
3g/2g mode selection applet
mplayer
personnal IP address
personnal dataplan monitor
simple brightness applet
maep
vim

kinda useful :
liqtorch
gonvert
xchat
ati85

i'm a noob at this but this but what do people use openssh server+client for?

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
With Openssh client you are able to connect to another unix terminal from your phone. With the server you are able to connect to your phone terminal from your computer. SSH is just the protocol that is used.

if you like to configure your phone but you dont really like the keyboard since its small you will be able to use openssh to install the server then connect from your pc.

you can install putty in your windows then find out the ip addess of your n900 then enter the ip address

use the user name root
use the password that you setup when you install the open ssh server

then you will be able to configure your n900 from your pc.

thats just one benefit

Last edited by tirtawn; 2010-01-17 at 23:15.