Active Topics

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Toronto
It seems 50% internet apps/websites/games etc rely on some kind of java... so it's not much of an internet tablet by shunning java.. flash whilst "Flashy" is no replacement... I don't know much about ajax and I guarantee about 90% of people out there don't know about it either...

I work for a help desk, I have done quality assurance for computer games as well... my advice on here is free... at the end of the day I am still happy with what I have now.. but really... someone has already gotten java working, why would Nokia not want to support it?

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
This was the question I asked as well, but I was told that Java gave way to Flash and Ajax. I agree with you though about the N800 being a nice toy that have mucho potential. I had one, and still like the tablet but I think the next incarnation will really have the juice. In its current state the N800 is not what fits my particular needs.

At first, I was drooling over Skype. Low rates, skypein, chatting, etc. But since I've looked more into VoIP, I think a SIP application would be far more useful. Skype would be useful for VoIP, but there are so many other providers that don't use propriety software. Not to mention, I use a company that charges half of what Skype does for international calls.

So besides SkypeOut, what else does Skype have that's useful? IM and Skype-to-Skype PC calls. Well, now that Gaim has come out with compatibility for almost every mainstream IM client, Skype's IM abilities are meaningless. And for PC-to-PC calls, I'll be happy to live with GoogleTalk.

In my opinion, a SIP capable program would add a lot more utility to the N800 than Skype at this point.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
@testerj,

I would not count on Java or Opera. Flash and Ajax are the technologies that they are leaning towards, and the license for the Opera browser has run out so Nokia might be be using their own.
While it's true that Nokia are not in favour of Java on Maemo they are more than happy to support the community who are already busy developing Java on Maemo. So while Java on Maemo may not come from Nokia, it will come eventually.

As for Opera 9, I hope that Nokia put their money and resources into open source browsers rather than continue licencing a closed source application whose quality and functionality is outside of their control.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-06-15 at 00:47.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Toronto
Your my hero Milhouse! You give me great hope

PS: Nokia can you give more money to speed it up, thanks!

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Vancouver, WA
chime'n in on the VoiP aspects...a Simple SIP client would be great...
then you could setup a simple ASTERISK server(http://www.astlinux.org/) with the vmware image provided by that guy...and have that server relay your incoming to whatever number you wished to dial...

I'm actually fairly amazed no one with programming skills has taken some open source SIP app and ported it yet.(wish I had those kinda skills)

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings Everyone:

I really didn't want to start another boxing match.

I added the magic word Skype in my message and look what happens:

People talking about Java, Ajax, and Opera. Relax everyone

Personally the Nokia N-800 needs Skype, but a very good version of Skype with Video capabilities.

Now that is something to talk about.

Regards Robert

@RobMtl007,

THis is not a boxing match, but a good flow of information. While everyone is talking Skype, in keeping with the tradition of Open Source, a SIP client would be a better way to go. GizmoProject works fairly well and is a SIP front end, but it too was developed in "secret". Skype is not the magic bullet for the N800. Functionality, speed, and common usability would be at the top of my list.As for mentioning Java (Nokia is not embracing it for the N800, but will help with it), Ajax and Flash are where Nokia is headed, and this is something that developers should be aware of, and Opera may be on the way out. This too is an important piece of info.

Just my $.02

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
While everyone is talking Skype, in keeping with the tradition of Open Source, a SIP client would be a better way to go. GizmoProject works fairly well and is a SIP front end, but it too was developed in "secret". Skype is not the magic bullet for the N800.
I couldn't agree more; Skype will probably come for the N800, but I don't think it will have much impact. It simply doesn't fit the Maemo ecosystem.

Given how good even Gizmo works for 770/N800-users, I am sure that a well-done SIP-client developed for Maemo (lightweight, well integrated with the UI, address-list etc.) would be by far more important for the future of the platform.

(BTW: I'm not really sure if it's a wise decision of Nokia's to favor Flash.)

@benny1967,

I spoke to a good friend that works for a company that develops SVG applications/clients/middleware, etc...... He was saying that the operators are not in love with Flash but would rather run SVG/AJax simply because Flash is sooooo proprietary causing them to create dual content. Also, Flash can be processor intensive.