Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
So someone was discussing a Symbian app in another thread called MiniGPS which would be awesome for the n900. Basically, based on specific locales/geotags, your phone would change settings automatically. The example that I am really excited about would be the ability to set my phone to silent when I get to work and turn the sound back on when I leave. I forget to turn off my ringer so frequently that I am scared to use the general profile at all lol.

However there are limitless uses for this type of app. I think there are some really smart people here lets make this happen!

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
the awesome thing of this is, that you don't have to use GPS, but instead it is possible to use the cells. this should also be easier to develop ("if you are in this cell, do this" instead of, "if you reach a diamenter of 500m around this coordinate, do this") and use less battery.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
That sounds really kewl . I assume this is the app? Has anyone contacted them to suggest developing a Maemo port?
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Originally Posted by grog View Post
That sounds really kewl . I assume this is the app? Has anyone contacted them to suggest developing a Maemo port?
Done. Now lets see what we get for a response...

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I thought it would be a nice project for the coding competition.

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I thought it would be a nice project for the coding competition.
It sure would. One thing to be hopeful for is that they will probably develop it for the N8 since it will be the new flagship Symbian device. And then it will be based in Qt, making it much easier to make a Maemo port.

....but that could be a long way off and around here we need things NOW!!

Originally Posted by grog View Post
Response from Psiloc:

Hello

Thank you for your inquiry.

There are no plans at the moment to develop version compatible with devices using Maemo OS, but it can change in the future. I did forward your message to our development department.

We hope our assistance was helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further support with Psiloc applications.

Best regards
Jacek Szymanowski
Psiloc Technical Support Team

Not really surprising. Hopefully someone here can either develop something similar or hack it onto the N900.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Göteborg, Sweden
It should be fairly easy to do with the libconic stuff.

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ London
Was there any update on this? I've been out of touch with TMO for sometime.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
I think this:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/n9profile/
is supposed to do something similar - not sure whether location based stuff is already implemented or is on the todo list.