Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
So it finally happened last night... Vista frustrated me to the point of punching out the screen

I am looking for something new, prob Windows 7 (dual booting Ubuntu of course ), that is lightweight and relatively high performance (i.e. can handle 1080 playback). Don't really care about gaming, and can live without an optical drive (although blu ray would be nice).

Any decent options under $1000?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Last edited by cfh11; 2010-06-30 at 18:19.

i am looking for one as well. I don't care about gaming neither, but my needs are HD screen (at least 720p...don't think I've heard of 1080p laptop so 1080p playback is not a necessesity...although i might be wrong), HDMI output, WiFi and Bluetooth, and...this one is tricky...3G Connectivity, lol. Price is not an issue.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Lol @qgil.... I thought you were in development not marketing?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
It's technically a netbook, but I'd still like to warn you to avoid the Samsung N220 like the plague. The network driver (realtek somethingorother, I forget right now) on it is closed, meaning you need to go through the hassle of finding firmware blobs and praying it works with your kernel. Not a nice experience.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Florida
Since I got my N900 back in January, I haven't even touched my laptop. I do all of my school work and everything right from my device...I would suggest you get the N900 if you don't have one already and/or look into the next meego tablet coming out and wait for that. It's very handy to have a "laptop" in my pocket at all times!

p.s I definately don't miss Windows... Long live Maemo/ Meego!!!

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
i am looking for one as well. I don't care about gaming neither, but my needs are HD screen (at least 720p...don't think I've heard of 1080p laptop so 1080p playback is not a necessesity...although i might be wrong), HDMI output, WiFi and Bluetooth, and...this one is tricky...3G Connectivity, lol. Price is not an issue.
just letting you know i have a 1920 x 1220 res screen on my laptop (i think that is a bit higher than 1080p if i am correct), its a dell xps m1730 bought like 2 years ago for college as well as gaming cost me a bloody small fortune tbh though would have been better off just buying a gaming desktop because this laptop is massive

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Sounds like you need a Panasonic toughbook. It'll take your punches all while laughing at you.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@cfh11: I would recommend to budget some of your funds for Anger Management (the class, not the movie ) to prevent unplanned expenses and sufferings in the future
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kassel, Hesse, Germany
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Source of inspiration: http://wiki.meego.com/Compatible_devices_with_MeeGo
Why are there two seperate categories "Notebooks" and "Laptop"? (Toshiba introduced the Notebook term for small laptops, but nowadays there is no difference anymore)

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.