Active Topics

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Guys,
loaded Debian today and blown away. Looks to be a fully functional full blown OS, so really keen to get using it and setting it up.
I do find the small screen, keyboard and stylus does really hinder you. Never using Linux before and totally new to this, could guys try assist by advising ways to get it more user friendly, set up wise. Guide to setting up the desktop, text and icons size etc.
I know i will and sure others also would loose interest should it be a task for a numpty to get it his head around it trying to make it useable.

Much appreciated

Stephen

Last edited by Coffee; 2010-07-23 at 08:28.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ecuador
ok ifirst of all do you downloaded the GUI version or the only terminal version, and finally if you are new in linux I sugest to try Ubuntu or Linux Mint, both are Devian based distros more user friendly.

www.linuxmint.com
www.ubuntu.com

I have tryed many linux distros, I began with linux mint, that gives me the oportunity to learn so much.

also you could check other linux distributions here: http://distrowatch.com/

if you need any more info let me know and welcome to LINUX..

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by juandp77 View Post
ok ifirst of all do you downloaded the GUI version or the only terminal version, and finally if you are new in linux I sugest to try Ubuntu or Linux Mint, both are Devian based distros more user friendly.

www.linuxmint.com
www.ubuntu.com

I have tryed many linux distros, I began with linux mint, that gives me the oportunity to learn so much.

also you could check other linux distributions here: http://distrowatch.com/

if you need any more info let me know and welcome to LINUX..
I think he was referring to using Linux on his tablet.

Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
I think he was referring to using Linux on his tablet.
Yeah I was mate though he's comments are valid.
Well I played with it for a few hours last night (on the mobile) and made a few changes to get it a bit better, so I will start.

***PLEASE NOTE I HAVE ZERO KNOWLEDGE OF LINUX OR DEBIAN AND SIMPLY TRYING TO OFFER ASSISTANCE GETTING STARTED WITHIN THE SOFTWARE IT'S SELF. I URGE OTHERS TO ASSIST AND CORRECT ME IF AN ERROR WHICH I WILL EDIT AND CORRECT.***

Download And Install The Application:
After downloading from repository, go to apps and will find approx 9 new apps listed (usually at the bottom), select the "Deb Img Install"
It will load a dialog from memory, select main, select where you wish to install "MyDocs" or "SD" and then it wil start downloading the Image file and once completed install it.

(BE WARNED, YOU NEED A STEADY WIFI AND NEED TO DOWNLOAD APPROX 302MB. IF NOT STEADY AND STRONG YOU MAY NOT COMPLETE AND HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN. IF ON A DATA PLAN I SUGGEST YOU USE A HOME OR SHOP WIRELESS CONNECTION UNLESS 100% SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH DATA TO DOWNLOAD TWICE IN CASE IT DOESN'T COMPLETE. IF YOU EXCEED YOUR MOBILE DATA, IT COULD BE VERY COSTLY PER MB OVER!).

Desktop Access:
I suggest you add both the "Debian LXDE" and "Close Debian" shortcuts on your desktop, the "Close Debian" is the safest way to be sure the app is fully shut down and not using power and data in background.

How To Start The Application:
Select the "Debian LXDE" from your desktop. A black window opens with an information bar along the bottom., select "OK".
Now you are in Easy Debian and ready to get started.

***BE PATIENT WHEN SELECTING ITEMS, FUNCTIONS AND APPS IN DEBIAN. THE DO SEEM TO ALWAYS OPEN JUST A SHORT DELAY OFTEN INITIALLY LOADING UP, OTHERWISE WHEN THEY DO LOAD YOU WILL HAVE 10 WINDOWS, LOL***

How To Find The Applications:
I found the easiest way initially to find the apps was to select the blue squares in the furthest top left corner (much like in Maemo) and the drop down appears. Under each heading is a slide out option which list apps, place the cursor on the one you want and it will open.

How To Adjust The Desktop Icons Shown In Toolbar:
From the initial load you will find a toolbar docked on the left edge of the screen. Place your cursor on the toolbar, not an icon and hold until an option dialog pops up and then keeping the cursor pressed down, drag to "Application Launch Bar Settings".
On the right hand side under "Available Applications" select the arrow in front of each header/ folder and the contents will drop down. Now select an app that is listed that you wish to be shown on the toolbar followed by the "Add" button in the center. The new short cut should now show in the "Applications" list on the left.
Continue doing so until you have all the shortcuts you desire, then place in order. Select the app you wish to move in the "Applications" list and then select "Up" or "Down" to get desired order and then close.

How To Adjust The Toolbar Icons Size:
From the initial load you will find a toolbar docked on the left edge of the screen. Place your cursor on the toolbar, not an icon and hold until an option dialog pops up and then keeping the cursor pressed down, drag to "Panel Preferences".
Now in the "Geometry" tab you can set icon sizes, toolbar size and location (toolbar only).
These figures I will give you should get you started and I hope decent enough which you can then play with and tweak. I found being a tiny screen we need as large as possible and hence as much space as possible for the toolbar. In doing so I located the toolbar along the bottom of the screen as this the largest free space.
I set the following
Position: BOTTOM
Size/ Width: 90
Size/ Height: 45
Alignment: CENTER
Icon: 38

How To Adjust The Desktop Icons Size:
Simply hold the cursor pressed down on the desktop. A drop down menu will appear, drag the cursor to "Preferences" and the Preferences dialog will open, select "General" Tab.
(To changes these figures you need to hold the cursor down and drag to desired option)
Display/ Size Of Big Icons: 96x96
Display/ Size Of Small Icons: 48x48

How To EXIT Debian:
I have found selecting the blue squares in the furthest top left corner, then select "Logout". This opens the " Logout LXDE Session" dialog, select "Logout". I then suggest selecting the "Close Debian" shortcut on your MAEMO Desktop (see back at start of thread, Desktop Access.

Well you should now at least have a toolbar on the bottom of your screen with all the shortcuts you desire for quick access to apps. Icons a bit larger for a our small screen. I suggest you now start opening every app and look under file, edit or tools tabs for the preferences dialog and adjust settings for each as desired (a little trial and error).

I hope others will see my intent of this thread and follow on, helping those with no idea about Debian or Linux for that matter get started, setup and understand the O.S. and apps.

Stephen

Last edited by Coffee; 2010-07-23 at 23:29.

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
I haven't used LXDE in a long time so sorry I wasn't able to give any suggestions, but I'm glad to you've managed to get things improved somewhat, really IMO the best way to get started and find your way around Linux is just by tinkering around like you've done, instead of following step-by-step guides that just spoon-feed you through the process.

Do as juandp77 said, get yourself a copy of a Linux live distro and boot it off a USB.
I'd recommend Fedora for a beginner (just read the simple 10 line quick start and your set) , using the LXDE desktop environment to help you configure Debain LXDE on your tablet.

Much appreciated mate and will do. I do further agree that best way is to jump in a play with it. That said, can be a little off putting if totally in the dark, on a minuscule screen that's very hard to use etc
That and the odd 5 words or advice here and there do really speed the process up in getting people started, enthusiastic etc which will then drive them to get right into it and not put them off. I am just trying to be realistic and assist myself and others get started and involved.

Guys,
when i go through menus, some are off the bottom of the screen. We can't scroll or can we and just haven't worked that out yet. Have others had this issue or just me, do we have a work around or a setting adjustment to help this?

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Isn't this really the 'EasyDebian' image that you're describing?

It comes with LXDE....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Isn't this really the 'EasyDebian' image that you're describing?

It comes with LXDE....

I have no idea what you are going on about mate, sorry.
Yes I understand Easy Debian is loaded with LXDE, am I missing something here. Does LXDE mean menu blocks drop outside of screen area and hence can't make changes and select save?

How can we adjust the menu boxes so display only within the screen area? Unless I am missing something, we haven't a mouse wheel and can't scroll down.

Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
How can we adjust the menu boxes so display only within the screen area? Unless I am missing something, we haven't a mouse wheel and can't scroll down.
If you use the down arrow key on the keyboard, this will take you to the other options at the end of the menu.