Notices

I use mplayer from the command line, on an N800, and I need a way to boost the volume. I've noticed that other players (canola2 and media player, which I think are based off of the same player), get much higher volume than mplayer's max. How can I get mplayer's volume up near those other apps?

For commuting, I listen to news and other talk podcasts. If something loud drowns out the earbuds, I can just hit the D-button once to "rewind" 10 seconds, so for this reason cli mplayer is better than media player or canola2. I also tried media box, since the website says that it uses mplayer but the D-pad doesn't work as it does with cli mplayer.

I guess I have two questions:
1) is there a way to boost mplayer's volume?
2) is there another player which has a 10-second rewind or similar feature? I like the way the n800's media player does views but barring that, any directory based view would be great.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited by Justjoe; 2008-12-03 at 16:38. Reason: clarity

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
I'll trade you. This, for your telling me a bit about how to use mplayer from cli.

Note that the config filename seems to have changed since that post. It is now /home/user/.mplayer/config

My config file has the following, which works well:

Code:
af=volume=15.1:0

Last edited by lm2; 2008-12-03 at 16:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Bingo, thanks very much! I did search but I guess it wasn't good enough. I appreciate it.

For mplayer from the cli: "mplayer filename", and then I use the virtual keyboard for the pause/ vol+ and vol- inputs, which is something of an annoyance since some commands need a shift on the n800's virtual keyboard, like * to raise the volume, but you can remap it in that config file.

For a guide to commands: just typing "mplayer" gives a short guide to keystrokes. Googling for the man page for mplayer gives much more:

http://tivo-mplayer.sourceforge.net/...an.html#sect11

Actually from reading that page, I see that 9 and 0 are volume controls. I just learned that convenience now.

Thanks very much, problem solved.

Joe

The Following User Says Thank You to Justjoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
One other trick. No shift command is needed. For example, if your onscreen keyboard shows all lowercase letters and you want an upper case, simply tap and hold on the desired letter, and then drag the letter straight up the screen a little bit WITHOUT TAKING THE STYLUS OFF THE SCREEN. To get the * when 0 is showing (or vice versa), just drag the one up the screen to get the other.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
I'll trade you. This, for your telling me a bit about how to use mplayer from cli.

Note that the config filename seems to have changed since that post. It is now /home/user/.mplayer/config

My config file has the following, which works well:

Code:
af=volume=15.1:0
This works for the N900 too! The volume was too low when watching avi files via the tvout. This fixed it!

EDIT: Exactly 2 years and 1 week later! It helps someone else, on a newer device.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Cool! But doesnt this screw up ur speakers?

Well I haven't heard any strange things from my tv speakers. So long as you are not getting distortion. shouldn't it be ok?

better idea: run mplayer with the argument "--softvol-max=400"

You can then press 9 or 0 to adjust the playback volume to as high as 400%.