Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Ah, ok. Yeah I know there's a variety of wifi chips with their own problems, I thought you had stumbled upon something I wasn't aware of. In any case, things are quieting down at work so I might be able to squeeze some time into working on things... finally :/
Well, it seems that the latest Nook tablet has been locked down. Not a good sign.

Maybe we should change the banner on the home page as Cordia is now based on Mer?

To be honest, banner looks like advertising project that is already in - at least - beta stage, which is quite confusing for most people AFAIK. Also, it quite a dissonance with Cordia developer politic of not getting widespread interest on project (yet) amongst non-coder userbase.

IMO, Nemo should get there instead, but AFAIK any person with good "reputation" can get banner for her/his project, so, apparently, Nemo devs were not interested (which is kinda ironical, as Nemo is now much more usable for end uses - majority of people reading banner - than CordiaHD).

Also, again AFAIK, updating banner in case of changes is up to project maintainer(s).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Well, it seems that the latest Nook tablet has been locked down. Not a good sign.
It goes beyond merely blocking sideloading.

I had one reserved (but put down no money) and ignored the calls to come in and pick it up once the investigations at xda-devs showed that the unit was using the HS model of the OMAP4 with everything signed.

Whole thing is secure. Signed bootloader, checksummed kernel. Totally not worth the time of anyone interested in this sort of stuff. On the other hand, I've had a decent amount of success working with Stskeeps on the Nook Color. Maybe something will (finally!) come of it in the next few weeks. Maybe.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
After following up a link from MWKN today regarding full fremantle stack for Mer http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.h...rdia.devel/290, I made a quick enquiry to see that that would mean for us:

[14:03] <muks> it's stock hildon (with compile and various other issues fixed) running on top of fedora 16
[14:04] <muks> my goal is to get these into general purpose distros like debian, fedora, etc. so users can develop apps using their desktops (without the use of sdks)
[14:05] <muks> and also be able to install debian with the relevant packages on a hand-held and get the maemo desktop, apps on it, just like the N900 phone
[14:05] <muks> cordia is a project to get maemo running using the mer stack
[14:06] <muks> because both of us need to share work in porting gtk+, hildon, etc. to the latest versions _and_ further develop the maemo stack, we are working together:

Last edited by [DarkGUNMAN]; 2012-02-06 at 14:11. Reason: Edited with description from author

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] View Post
[14:03] <muks> it's stock hildon (with compile and various other issues fixed) running on top of fedora 16
[14:04] <muks> my goal is to get these into general purpose distros like debian, fedora, etc. so users can develop apps using their desktops (without the use of sdks)
[14:05] <muks> and also be able to install debian with the relevant packages on a hand-held and get the maemo desktop, apps on it, just like the N900 phone
[14:05] <muks> cordia is a project to get maemo running using the mer stack
[14:06] <muks> because both of us need to share work in porting gtk+, hildon, etc. to the latest versions _and_ further develop the maemo stack, we are working together:
[/i]
This sounds like great news. We can set up and maintain a repo if you want.

Thanks. This is one of the key points I was looking into recently. There are packages for Hildon and co in Debian but, when last checked, they were really outdated. I'm all for seeing an updated Maemo stack running on a Debian 6+ base.

When you say porting gtk+ etc. to latest versions, do you mean like porting hildon to use GTK+ 3? This could bring some interesting changes given Gnomes current tablet like interface, maybe better support for rotation for example.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
hi guys, saw this thread first time now and its amazing what you do there.. i dont know if i will install that as i just broke my n9 and its at nokia care (dont want that again) but its just amazing.. nice work

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Thanks. This is one of the key points I was looking into recently. There are packages for Hildon and co in Debian but, when last checked, they were really outdated. I'm all for seeing an updated Maemo stack running on a Debian 6+ base.

When you say porting gtk+ etc. to latest versions, do you mean like porting hildon to use GTK+ 3? This could bring some interesting changes given Gnomes current tablet like interface, maybe better support for rotation for example.
IIRC - at the very least: window-layer-thing display code will need to be patched, and sapwood must be replaced with some other engine such as Murrine GTK3.

BTW, GTK+ 3's only important big change is theming. Most other stuff should retheme just as well on GTK3 with minimal patches.

And I almost forgot - I was doing an open replacement for the Fremantle alpha theme, icons and all. I'll go see if I can dig it up and finish it.

On a theming note, I like whatever theme that is in the screenshots.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:

Tags
cordia, fremantle ux, hildon, maemo 5 ux, meego, sanctuary, the garden