Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

There is a thread discussing this problem. Here is my summary of the N900 not recognizing the charger:

I can reproduce the problem repeatedly if I plug in my cable very slowly. The cable has to be inserted with some appreciable speed. If you are too careful the phone does not recognize the charger.

Another way N900 does not recognize the charger is when I plug and unplug my charger quickly, about > 3 times/minute.

Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
this is the second time i experienced a delay before the "charging" comes up when i plugged the phone.

to detail it more, i plugged the charger to the n900 and it gave me a delay, about 5 secs (battery on red, not drained). on the second time this occurs, more than 5 secs, and i was alarmed, that i unplugged the usb cable charger and re-plugged it, and instantly, it charged.

in the next time this would happen, i will unplug the chatger from outlet (not the male usb from n900) and see.

if the same occurs, i can tell that its only a bug, or my n900 is just quite slow (since i've been doing a lot with it during this Spring break).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flydeep For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by flydeep View Post
There is a thread discussing this problem. Here is my summary of the N900 not recognizing the charger:

I can reproduce the problem repeatedly if I plug in my cable very slowly. The cable has to be inserted with some appreciable speed. If you are too careful the phone does not recognize the charger.

Another way N900 does not recognize the charger is when I plug and unplug my charger quickly, about > 3 times/minute.
thanks!! that made me breathe more!

i did not thought that this bug is the same as my old nokia 6600, maybe because i was thinking about the usb port problem of the n900, that put me away from the conclusion that this problem might already solved, and/or did not search further more.

yes i can confirm this, i just transfer my n900 while charging to a different outlet and postpone the charging for a few minutes.

when i replugged very carefully, i was too slow (took about 3-4 secs), the n900 did not charge, i waited but still did not. I put on a good aim next try so the charger port will fit properly but with a reasonable speed, and yes, the n900 instantly charge.

Last edited by gabby131; 2010-03-30 at 21:10.

I agree with you, I was having the same thoughts about a month back. I was relating the non-charging to usb problem until I found other users who could replicate it the same way.

It has been couple of months since I got my N900, ALL my usb prongs are down to zilch thickness. The usb port is faring well so far ... touch wood.

Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
thanks!! that made me breathe more!

i did not thought that this bug is the same as my old nokia 6600, maybe because i was thinking about the usb port problem of the n900, that put me away from the conclusion that this problem might already solved, and/or did not search further more

The Following User Says Thank You to flydeep For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
I agree with you, I was having the same thoughts about a month back. I was relating the non-charging to usb problem until I found other users who could replicate it the same way.

It has been couple of months since I got my N900, ALL my usb prongs are down to zilch thickness. The usb port is faring well so far ... touch wood.
i can say we are on the very same page.

well other n900 users who got their devices back from repair/replacement and filed down their huge prongs, both charger and data cable. if we look at past pages (which is a bit tiring) some had posted images regarding the current condition of the micro usb port of a replaced or repaired device.

ATM, i do not see anyone who filed down the prongs reporting a micro usb issue (hoping not to read or hear to)

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
Originally Posted by Arrancamos View Post
Guys!! I have good news!!
They did replace my n900 device. This is great!!! OMG! 2months without my phone cuz I send it from Peru...
--------------------------------------------------------
The repair status of your device is:

A replacement Nokia N900 device, serial number 356938031XXXXXX, has been shipped for your original Nokia N900 device, serial number 356938030XXXXXX, under Nokia's replacement program.

Your device was shipped via USPS on 03/29/10.

Track your shipment via USPS. www.usps.com
Tracking Number: 9121805213907072XXXXXX.
--------------------------------------------------------
I should have it on my hands in +/- 1 week

TY so much Texrat.
Questioin: Why when I look for repair status of the replaced device they sending to me I get an status of it and it have been already replaced too bcuz it was damaged oh noes! O_O ?? in this case, checking usps.com, that device was already delivered on febrary... What does it mean?
TIA

Last edited by Arrancamos; 2010-03-31 at 02:20.

Questioin: Why when I look for repair status of the replaced device they sending to me I get an status of it and it have been already replaced too bcuz it was damaged oh noes! O_O ?? in this case, checking usps.com, that device was already delivered on febrary... What does it mean?
TIA
It means that your phone has been stolen or lost in the post and you are unlikely to get another due to the fact that the status is delivered. Ha ha.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
Duh!!! ^^
means Iam getting a repaired device >.< reported by other ppl... but WTF!!
it this a regular or common solution!!!?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Duh!!! ^^
means Iam getting a repaired device >.< reported by other ppl... but WTF!!
it this a regular or common solution!!!?
Getting a repaired device is very much the normal situation. They have to use the repaired devices somewhere - they can't sell them as new, so they get sent out as warranty replacements.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Again, refurbished devices receive more testing and overall attention than new ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Again, refurbished devices receive more testing and overall attention than new ones.
At least if it gets refurbished by a Nokia "technician" that deserves that title.

My third device that I have now (after the first one being replaced because of broken usb and the second one because of wrong product code) was actually wrong assembled.

It seems like they exchange the plastic (digitizer) part of the screen against a new one. There are little clips that have to fit into other clips of the metal frame around it. They missed some of these clips so that I had a bump at the lower part of my metal frame.

I couldn't stand messing with nokia care the third time so finally I just disassembled and corrected this myself............

Nokia customer service: EPIC FAIL.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty