Notices

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Besides, to this point, any and all bugs or problems people have mentioned can all be laid at the feet of the MicroB developers since there's nothing I can do to fix them - they're all issues with how MicroB handles extensions.
That may be true but the goal of this thread is not to find a fix for all issues with adblock. The simple question is: Why can't you remove adblock plus from extras until it's working out of the box?

Me on twitter

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
That may be true but the goal of this thread is not to find a fix for all issues with adblock. The simple question is: Why can't you remove adblock plus from extras until it's working out of the box?
Because, for a vast majority of the community, it does work out of the box. I don't understand why you have some sort of vendetta against me or the package... but it's worked for almost everyone else. I'm sorry it didn't work for you... talk to the microb guys about it.

It's useful and many people are using it without a problem, so I will not be removing it, plain and simple.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Because, for a vast majority of the community, it does work out of the box. I don't understand why you have some sort of vendetta against me or the package... but it's worked for almost everyone else. I'm sorry it didn't work for you... talk to the microb guys about it.

It's useful and many people are using it without a problem, so I will not be removing it, plain and simple.
I have to agree. I was a little confused that the config screens didn't work but the extension seems to work fine. I see ads blocked on basically every page I go to.

This is turning into some sort of personal issue.

Adblockplus totally messed up my browsing, blocked Internet connectivity and crashed the N900 by repetition. I tried the workaround promoted somewhere (editing pref.js, adding a working patterns.ini) to no avail. I uninstalled it and things got back to normal.
I love Adblockplus but the side effects are too harsh. The usefulness of this tool will likely have me search for other workarounds to fix it, but I don't believe the app has a place in the repository.

The failure rates of the app don't seem to be significant. Hence, why remove it?

Over 3000 downloads with a dozen or so complaints. Anything with less than 1% failure rates should not be considered problematic?

Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
I have to agree. I was a little confused that the config screens didn't work but the extension seems to work fine. I see ads blocked on basically every page I go to.

This is turning into some sort of personal issue.
I agree. (with some extra text here to make my message long enough to post)

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by freakyflint View Post
Adblockplus totally messed up my browsing, blocked Internet connectivity and crashed the N900 by repetition. I tried the workaround promoted somewhere (editing pref.js, adding a working patterns.ini) to no avail. I uninstalled it and things got back to normal.
I love Adblockplus but the side effects are too harsh. The usefulness of this tool will likely have me search for other workarounds to fix it, but I don't believe the app has a place in the repository.
I had tested the package installation about a hundred times before submitting it to extras-testing and I never once saw anything remotely approaching what you describe here.

Problems here too, with AdBlock.
The extension is seen and activated just after installation, no problems at all, but the filter list is empty and I see all banners.
So I uploaded patterns.ini from my PC (overwriting a patterns.ini which was already here), edited the js script, and rebooted 2-3 times.
No luck, the list is still empty and it won't filter anything... pls help I really need adblock :'(

AdBlock was one of the first things I installed on my n900. I set it up with easylist+easyelement just as I do in the Firefox plugin version (gui/web), rebooted twice, and it has been invaluable. It has worked smoothly for the last month. For the record, I did not hack any of it's pref files. (Same story with my n810 two years ago.)

Best thing I can suggest is that if you are having weird problems is to reflash and wipe the relevant pref files.

I am sorry to hear that a few folks are having issues, but I find the repeated calls from one individual to have it removed from extras to be extreme.

Thanks zerojay! (Sorry to hear about your dead n900.)

The Following User Says Thank You to ashes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Texas
For what it is worth, I installed Adblock plus shortly after I received my n900 and It worked right away. I didn't need to reboot at all. I do not know if it makes a difference, but I restarted my n900 right before I installed it.