Notices

Hi i've been looking for a new email client for the phone, so far i only found the claws app, i wanted to know if someone is using it in the n900 and how does it work there? thnx

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
I have used it previously (and also in the N800 days). Works fine, a bit cumbersome to setup - and not really finger friendly.

I use the built in now, suits my needs just fine.

i just want a better solution that one sometimes doesnt want to send my emails lol

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Mainz, Germany
I've been using Claws Mail for a while. On the negative side, the UI is not finger-friendly and there are some UI glitches and it doesn't integrate with the phone address book, but I managed to configure the screen layout to be a bit more finger friendly and wrote myself a script to export the phone contacts into Claws mail.

On the plus side, it is a full-featured mail client on the N900 with lots of configuration options, including mail filtering and processing, and PGP support, and it is giving you a good overview of the mails you have and receive, and what it currently does.

I have changed from modest a while ago because it is lacking some features I need, was not giving me a good overview which folders include new and read mail, and when I changed (PR1.1 times) it was way to slow to be usable for me and most of the time I was wondering what modest was doing in the background -- still receiving mails or finished?

I guess most users won't like Claws Mail in its state, but I won't change back to modest, although its supposed to be faster now.

The Following User Says Thank You to goetz For This Useful Post:
goetz, did you get gpg successfully running on maemo?

If you mean the gpg command line program, that comes pre-installed with the N900 (gnupg package) and runs fine.

Unfortunately, the package claws-mail-pgp-plugins to integrate gpg into claws mail has some broken optification links: The symbolic links to the binaries (.so-files) replace the files during installation and point to themselves. I manually extracted pgpcore.so, pgpinline.so, and pgpmime.so and installed them into the appropriate dirs. Now GPG works fine in Claws-mail.

Unfortunately, there is no bugtracker link for this package to report this ...

Originally Posted by goetz View Post
I guess most users won't like Claws Mail in its state, but I won't change back to modest, although its supposed to be faster now.
To be sure the Claws app makes me want a bigger screen or better eyeballs maybe,
but it is a killer app to have on the n900.
It is simply so configurable,
unlike that other crippleware which tries and fails to even imitate an email client.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
I'm trying Claws now and reading (not new) messages is kind of a pain. The manual states that you can use N for next and P for previous message, but it does not work for me.

I have to close the message window, then select the inbox appl. select the next message and it opens in a new window, then reselect to hide the header...
It sure slows you down, wading through the ever growing stream of mail.

If that's what you refer to as 'broken UI' then I fully agree. Is there someone still working on this appl.?
Would love to have the N & P working...

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
Originally Posted by goetz View Post
I manually extracted pgpcore.so, pgpinline.so, and pgpmime.so and installed them into the appropriate dirs. Now GPG works fine in Claws-mail.
Can you tell from where to where you moved them?

Well, I must confess that I moved back to modest, because of the better integration with the other apps on the N900, so I cannot check right now.

But I'd guess that these files should go to: /opt/maemo/usr/lib/claws-mail/plugins
You will then need appropriate symlinks in directory "/usr/lib/claws-mail/plugins" to point to the optified versions.

HTH