Notices

Are there any coders out there willing to try porting Handy/SDL over to the N900? An Atari Lynx emulator would be amazing on the N900!

Here's a link to the source code:
http://sdlemu.ngemu.com/handysdl.php

Should be a snap for you gifted hackers out there!

Who wouldn't want this awesomeness on their N900??!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whaleyboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Netherlands
I had an Atari Lynx and really liked some of the games on it.
i.e. 'Blue Lightning' and Xenophobe.

It would indeed be really cool if someone could build an N900 Lynx emulator.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Glasgow
+1

I've been running Hatari for some of my old Atari ST games. Hooked up to the TV? Pretty cool... Would be good to try out some Lynx stuff too!

yep same here i had one too battery usage was poor.

But it would be great to have this on the N900 with six axis control.

California games,Blue lightning,Pacland, and Gauntlet to name a few.

oh and Road blasters thanks whaleyboy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by whaleyboy View Post
Are there any coders out there willing to try porting Handy/SDL over to the N900? An Atari Lynx emulator would be amazing on the N900!

Here's a link to the source code:
http://sdlemu.ngemu.com/handysdl.php

Should be a snap for you gifted hackers out there!

Who wouldn't want this awesomeness on their N900??!
Is 0.5 the latest version? If so, the source is available here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~shalafi/handy_sdl-0.5-src.tar.bz2

Also, the graphics use OpenGL, which is going to be problematic (at best) for someone experienced to port it... [edit] Although, it does only appear to be used for 2d texturing? Did the Lynx even have 3D hardware - surely it was a bit early for that!?

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I just bought a Lynx and a Lynx 2 for my handheld collections...
Very funny that those things were VERY huge

But at that time, it had actually pretty good graphics. (colors, backlight 16 bit) while the gameboy was only monochrome, no backlight and was only 8-bit

Originally Posted by ishurmer View Post
Also, the graphics use OpenGL, which is going to be problematic (at best) for someone experienced to port it... [edit] Although, it does only appear to be used for 2d texturing? Did the Lynx even have 3D hardware - surely it was a bit early for that!?
Nope, the Lynx didn't have any 3D hardware, but it did have hardware rotation and scaling and "unlimited" sprites on screen! Wow! It used it to great effect in the conversion of Stun Runner, which was probably the best on any system. Speaking of great arcade conversions, Klax was probably the best on the Lynx...the sound blew me away at the time!

The Following User Says Thank You to whaleyboy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by whaleyboy View Post
Nope, the Lynx didn't have any 3D hardware, but it did have hardware rotation and scaling and "unlimited" sprites on screen! Wow! It used it to great effect in the conversion of Stun Runner, which was probably the best on any system. Speaking of great arcade conversions, Klax was probably the best on the Lynx...the sound blew me away at the time!
I remember playing on a Lynx and thinking it was quite good, but you're talking to someone who was brought up with Amigas, so I know exactly what you mean Note: the OpenGL usage seems very limited (just a few functions use the fixed pipeline), so I imagine someone who knows what they're doing can port relatively easily.

Originally Posted by ishurmer View Post
I remember playing on a Lynx and thinking it was quite good, but you're talking to someone who was brought up with Amigas, so I know exactly what you mean Note: the OpenGL usage seems very limited (just a few functions use the fixed pipeline), so I imagine someone who knows what they're doing can port relatively easily.
Funny you should mention the Amiga because the two designers of the Lynx (Dave Needle and R.J. Mical) were also part of the team that designed the Amiga, and the Amiga was used as the development platform for the Lynx I believe.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whaleyboy For This Useful Post: