Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Hooray! I have an N900 again and installed ModRana on it! It has come a long way. I do have a suggestion: when you search for POIs and you select one, there should be a "Route to Here" button on there, rather than having to go through two more layers of menus.
To the result list or to the result detail ?

BTW, in the new QML UI, I plan to reduce the number menu layers you have to go through to access the search functionality. Basically just:
menu->search
Then you enter the query & get results to a scrollable list under the entry box (sou you can easily tweak the query). Clicking a result will open a detail page with further info & options.

modRana theme & icon source on GitHub
Source files for the modRana default theme and icons are now also available on Github.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-03-30 at 00:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
8-bit map support
To keep up with the cutting edge, modRana now supports the brand new 8-bit map format.

Portrait

Landscape

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
to be honest, the URL was a bit of a give-away

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Any plan to implement the actual bus routing? Meaning listing the buses/its route number while routing for bus and not the left right direction as in car mode.

MartinK, is that the new QT UI?

Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
Any plan to implement the actual bus routing? Meaning listing the buses/its route number while routing for bus and not the left right direction as in car mode.
If I can find a reliable source for such data then why not. At least recently Google didn't provide such data as a part of their public API but that might have changed or another provider might have done it.

Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
MartinK, is that the new QT UI?
Yep - the base (map view + tile handling & main menu) is already working quite nicely. There are not many other features at the moment, but that should change quite quickly as most of the needed preparatory backend work is done.

I'm also about finished with my rewritten automated packaging scripts so initial preview packages should really available any day now - and then in regular intervals afterwards. I'll be making a combined package with both the classic GTK & the new QML GUI for Fremantle and a QML only package for Harmattan.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
If I can find a reliable source for such data then why not. At least recently Google didn't provide such data as a part of their public API but that might have changed or another provider might have done it.
Thats too bad. :cry

New modRana preview package for Fremantle & Harmattan available for testing !

After sorting quite a few last minute issues, preview packages for the new modRana version - 0.30 - are finally available. Initially I'll be releasing stand-alone packages at first and push a release to Extras once any serious issues are found & fixed. Please report any issues you encounter, so that they can be fixed quickly! Also please report your modRana version when submitting a report (menu->info->about).

Where can I get it ?
The deb packages packages are available from two separate OBS repositories, one for Fremantle and one for Harmattan:
Fremantle repository
Harmattan repository

Both packages are build by a script from the modRana source on Github, so the current package version could change quite often as I fix bugs & add features. Also please note that the packages might be a bit cutting edge - some breakage can occur from time to time.

Installing the Fremantle package
First install dependencies using apt-get (you need to be root for this):
Code:
apt-get install python-qtmobility12 python-pyside.qtgui python-pyside.qtdeclarative qt-components-10 espeak python
Then download & install the modRana package. After installation, a new "modRana-qml" icon should show up in the navigation section. This icons launches the new Qt/QML modRana GUI. The "modRana" icon launches the classic GTK GUI.
To launch the different GUI from the CLI, use modrana-gtk or modrana-qml respectively.

Installing the Harmattan package
First install dependencies using apt-get (you need to be root for this):
Code:
apt-get install python-pyside.qtgui python-pyside.qtdeclarative python-qtmobility
Then download & install the modRana package. After installation, modRana icon should show up among the other icons. To run modRana from the CLI, use this command (if the package wants to be Ovi store compatible, it should put files to /usr/bin):
Code:
sh /opt/modrana/run/harmattan
Once the Qt/QML GUI reaches feature parity with the classic interface, I'll push a release to Apps for MeeGo and Ovi store.
As there is currently no usable GTK port for Harmattan, only the QML GUI is available on Harmattan.

General improvements
  • much faster tile loading due to correct user agent
  • connection reuse for automatic tile download
  • Harmattan support !
  • default theme improvements
  • multi-GUI support, obviously
  • automatic configuration file update support
  • map layer updates
  • removed dependency on libmagic
  • a tileserver module
  • various backend improvements

Qt/QML GUI
There isn't that much functionality at the moment, but the cornerstones - the main map view & main menu are already working rather nicely. More features should be coming quickly as most of the preparatory work has been already done. Also, please let me know what do you think about the current map view & menu layout !

GTK GUI
The classic GTK GUI should work just fine & better than previously, mainly due to various backend improvements. Please report any regressions !

I love modRana ! Where can i donate ?
Use the paypal donation link, thanks in advance !

I'm a developer and want to submit a patch !
Fork modRana on github, add your modifications and send me a pull request - as easy as that ! Classic methods (patch-in-email, etc.) are of course also accepted.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-05-15 at 21:43.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Continuing with the rolling release

V0.30.28
  • correct handling for zero length tracklogs
  • downloading tiles along a tracklog now works again
  • track logging works again

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Installation notes for N900:
Code:
root
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get python-qtmobility12, python-pyside.qtgui, python-pyside.qtdeclarative, qt-components-10, espeak, python

E: Invalid operation python-qtmobility12,
also

Code:
apt-get install python-qtmobility12, python-pyside.qtgui, python-pyside.qtdeclarative, qt-components-10, espeak, python

(Reading package lists, Building dependency tree, Reading state information, etc.)

E: Couldn't find package python-qtmobility12,

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps