Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
There should be some decent Sailfish ports to Android phones, soon ... I'd go that route personally. I own a Jolla, and even assuming that Sailfish was perfect, the device itself is far from.
why on earth are jolla not supporting android hardware and selling the OS is beyond me

Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
unfortunately the hardware is not moddable
Which one? I lost context, it seems.

Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
I was hesitating about Neo900, but after reading your thoughts... i prefer to stay with my N900. This is my second N900 since 2010 after testing a galaxy Nexus. Except the great apps, android does not have this "feeling" i have with the N900. Unfortunately again new devices are faster and on this point, the N900 will still lack something.

Anyway i'm still in love with the little "click" when I open or close the Keyboard and i'm using it daily, trying to find alternative apps like modrana, Yappari fettuccine, linguine and so on!!!
Add to this that Neo900, even if it ever gets released (which I doubt, again), expects to have own infra, own communication channel, own organization... You know, to ensure that users get in touch only with "appropriate" content

Considering, how "awesome" history of moderating IRC or even the own Neo900 section of TMO the Neo900 "leader" have, you may expect that it won't have anything to do with free speech or FOSS ideals. Just a sandbox/kindergarten of one frustrated guy.

Side effect of this separation - Free'ness/Openess aside, it means that it will have MUCH less in common with Maemo or Maemo community, than previously promised. Also, considering how much "love" is in the air between Maemo's leadership and Neo900's dictatorship, you may skip any hopes for official cooperation, too (and rightly so - anyone wanting to do anything official with joerg would need to be not entirely OK in his head).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-10-02 at 00:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Ad 3: I love my moribund N900 for:
0. true multitasking, it's me who decides
If you are after true multitasking, you may want to read this thread before deciding whether the Jolla device meets your requirements.

Originally Posted by bill_klpd View Post
And for the touch screen I hate that resistive screens lack the multitouch.
Not all resistive touch screens lack multi-touch. In fact the Neo900 will have two-point multi-touch using the the same screen as the N900.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Ne0900 is vaporware that, in my Humble opinion, will never get released, and if it does, it will be 2/3 broken and soon abandoned due to some rage quit/internal conflicts in management team. I don't see future for that device.
You're entitled to your opinion so I'm not going to accuse you of trolling but my opinion is that you are just spreading FUD. It's quite clear that you don't get on well with Jörg and it looks like this has affected your judgement.

As far as I can tell, the project is healthier than ever. GDC are still on board and have a history of releasing devices, the board design is largely based on a working product and the project is steadily making progress.

Add to this that Neo900, even if it ever gets released (which I doubt, again), expects to have own infra, own communication channel, own organization... You know, to ensure that users get in touch only with "appropriate" content
Perhaps I'm too dumb but I don't understand what you are getting at. Users are free to use whatever communication channel they desire.

Considering, how "awesome" history of moderating IRC or even the own Neo900 section of TMO the Neo900 "leader" have, you may expect that it won't have anything to do with free speech or FOSS ideals. Just a sandbox/kindergarten of one frustrated guy.
Again, I don't understand what you are getting at. The intention is that you will be free to install or port whatever OS you like. I don't see how any leader, whomever that may be, would be able to affect free software ideals in that scenario.

Side effect of this separation - Free'ness/Openess aside, it means that it will have MUCH less in common with Maemo or Maemo community, than previously promised.
It's not clear what promise you are referring to.

Also, considering how much "love" is in the air between Maemo's leadership and Neo900's dictatorship
Some projects run by a dictator work very well. The Linux kernel for example.

you may skip any hopes for official cooperation, too (and rightly so - anyone wanting to do anything official with joerg would need to be not entirely OK in his head).
I don't have any hopes in this regard. The Maemo leadership seems to be in a bit of a mess right now and it's not very clear what they would be able to offer the Neo900. I see it as a good thing that they can run independently.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
To Wicket, it seems that your are supporting the Neo900 project. I'm not GOOD at computer/linux things, but i like the tweaking side of the N900 (you know, trying to boot android, ubuntu, ED). Well, the idea is very cool. Regarding the specs, what kind of Os can we install on the device?
And what about telephony capability? I mean, can we boot for example a linux distro (ubuntu and all its derivatives) and install a kind of software to have telephony capability (calls, sms, 3G) ? Or how will this work ?

Edit. I'm reading this thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91308

Last edited by Boemien; 2014-10-02 at 03:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart

Side effect of this separation - Free'ness/Openess aside, it means that it will have MUCH less in common with Maemo or Maemo community, than previously promised. Also, considering how much "love" is in the air between Maemo's leadership and Neo900's dictatorship, you may skip any hopes for official cooperation, too (and rightly so - anyone wanting to do anything official with joerg would need to be not entirely OK in his head).

/Estel
Quick reply...

Sometimes I wish to put chemist, Estel, freemangordon, joerg_rw, Win7Mac, woody14619 into one closed room, so that they would not be able to exit it until they finished figuring out who said what, why, and what is true and what is false, and justifications for saying this and that.

Sadly, it would probably negatively impact the maemo.org business. Chemist maintains CSSU-Stable. Estel is researching hardware's mods, and prepares aluminum backcover-body. Freemangordon (Nothing is impossible) is Community SSU and kernel-power developer. Joerg is MCe.V. foundation member, hostmode fanatic and Neo900 developer. Win7Mac is a member of HiFo board and wiki maintainer. woody14619 is a member of HiFo board, quite active on TMO and IRC. Taking all of them offline into a face-to-face discussion would probably have too negative impact on maemo.org.

Still, when you need to have a holiday from work, consider possibility of meeting face-to-face and arguing for a long time

Best wishes.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Wicket voiced the same reason I'm going for the neo900.
I love my n900 to death.
But yeah...stretching it's abilities out as we have for some time now...running with our quasi-open/ closed hardware/software can take us only so far ...so long.

Sure the neo isn't cheap.
It's being designed to be as open as humanly possible.
That is a huge advantage...considering currently community fights through closed bits...or tries to come up with compatible .open alternatives.
The neo will allow me to install whatever distro...properly.
If I wish shr.
If I wish Replicant
If I wish a linux distro.
If I wish fremantle.
If I wish freemantle.
That is a great allowance of personal freedom.
More so than any other device I am aware of.(shy of the gta04 or the pyra...both of which are cousins to the neo900)

Figure the Jolla is the way to go? ....ok. ...
but for myself I am not interested in being tied to a specific o.s. vision that someone else has...not to mention the issues Jolla owners have been having have most definitely made me gun shy.

As far as disputes which seem to be having a bleed-off effect into other threads.
This being due to ...as has been mentioned by Wikiwide...the fact that some of the most critically needed people in our community seem bent and determined to burn the place to the ground.
I only differ with you on 1 thing here Wikiwide...I however ...think putting everyone in the same room for a day or a week or a month to work things out won't cripple or kill the community.
Letting them continue as they are.... hasn't resolved any issues....has simply increased tensions... is most certainly not instilling confidence...and is increasingly disenfranchising ....
I have painstakingly read...reread...rerereread everyone's stances and positions and summing it all up...
No one has been completely...totally and absolutely from beginning to now... in the right and no one has been completely totally and absolutely in the wrong....

I am beginning to believe that the moderators across the forum may need to aggressively and impartially police and eliminate threads/ posts which assault/ goad/ taunt/ enrage/ disparage another fellow member in full or part for whatever valid or invalid reasoning regardless of the partial or full importance of said post for the sake of the community as a whole.....temporarily (preferably) that is...until everyone's chillax and cool.....

.All I have to say for the moment...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2014-10-02 at 05:11.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Maybe a n9 would be cool too for me(it was always my "dream phone", I don't know why
Well, I had always dreamed of a MeeGo phone until I got one. You can't compare N950 with N900. Worse hw kbd support. Capacitive screen. Worse quality apps (mstardict vs dictionarystar & qstardict; katana vs minibible) or no apps (tuner); problems with landscape; Aegis. Less disk space. Problems with styling of plain Qt/Gtk apps. No Autodisconnect...

I would say that I agree with you except of some things!
The camera and the resistive touch screen!
There are many phones with a better camera, n900's now for me seems average... And for the touch screen I hate that resistive screens lack the multitouch.
Still its camera's better than on N950. And N950's capacitive touchscreen is much less precise than N900's resistive. N900's resistive is perfectly precise! You can use it in gloves, with a real stylus. A small drop of a water doesn't make the touch recognition go mad. And N900 has a plastic screen, so it won't break into pieces if it falls on the ground with a relatively high final velocity.

Who needs multitouch We can map the keyboard, use the volume keys.

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
If you are after true multitasking, you may want to read this thread before deciding whether the Jolla device meets your requirements.
This is one of cons. The other is that you can't use WiFi fully manually. An overall conclusion - the OS seems a little immature.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Get a Nexus 5 and put Sailfish on it.. You won't regret it

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Get a Nexus 5 and put Sailfish on it.. You won't regret it
It has no hw kb (and will never be) and is just as expensive as the Jolla phone (which might someday have an OH)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
[QUOTE=Wikiwide;1441514]Quick reply...
Sometimes I wish to put chemist, Estel, freemangordon, joerg_rw, Win7Mac, woody14619 into one closed room, so that they would not be able to exit it until they finished figuring out who said what, why, and what is true and what is false, and justifications for saying this and that....
Sadly, ha ha ha i earlier said a similar thing and really if they dont do something similar to settle matter at least this site will be fully poisoned.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
cheering neo900, rofl!!!!!!