Active Topics

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well, here's the thing. I think they're not judging their user base too well. That survey on Tableteer had a huge section about cell phone usage. I don't have a cell, nor do I want one. I think that with the internet tablet niche, many users who do own a cell never pair the two together. If this is supposed to be a boost for their phone division, I think they missed the mark on it. I'd be interested to see a survey as to the user demographic that either a.) doesn't own a cell, b.) does but never uses it with the 770, and c.) does and uses them in combination.

I think the cam is really a stab at the combo market, mainly internet kiddies with MySpace pages. (not to say the combo market is made of them entirely) But c'mon. It's a linux based tablet without the pink sparkly grossness that MSN/Yahoo/AIM have "blessed" the internet with. That market is more likely to pick up a Mylo.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Agreed - so to speak. I think the addition of the camera is twofold:
one: Put the last nail in the Sony Mylo coffin
two: Try to appeal to a broader userbase.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by SD69
A camera wasn't even on my top 10 list of desired changes to the 770...

why a camera? it is a known disincentivising feature for the business segment. you can get all kinds of cell phones with cameras.
Webcam for video calls.

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Well, here's the thing. I think they're not judging their user base too well. That survey on Tableteer had a huge section about cell phone usage. I don't have a cell, nor do I want one. I think that with the internet tablet niche, many users who do own a cell never pair the two together. If this is supposed to be a boost for their phone division, I think they missed the mark on it. I'd be interested to see a survey as to the user demographic that either a.) doesn't own a cell, b.) does but never uses it with the 770, and c.) does and uses them in combination.
Not that I want to, but I often have to use my cellphone as a modem for my 770. It's good to have that as an option when WiFi is unavailable or inaccessable.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
I don't understand not wanting to have a camera. Cameras are TINY! There is no weight concern. You have to carry a camera anyhow.

Here is the choice:
1) 770 + phone + camera + scanner + fax/copier(with printer)
2) 870

I've been wanting to write a program that uses multiple passes of a web-cam to do high-res scanning and faxing/printer-copying. If the camera is of sufficient quality I'll probably take the plunge. Why have a separate (and not really portable) scanner/fax? I can take my entire office in my pocket unless I need scanning/faxing; then it's back to the luggable briefcase. YUCK!

My wish list is:
better processor (So audio/video doesn't ever skip)
more memory (So I don't have to use expansion for software/VM; only for media)
SD expansion (for all of my books, music, video, photos, scanned files, etc.)
camera (3 to 5 mega pixels with internal optical zoom)
data link (e.g., EDGE or WiMAX)
powered USB (and USB charging).

I would like a keyboard and better battery if they add no weight/size. (A built-in laser virtual keyboard would be amazing!)

I would like software for PRINTING!, bluetooth steero/VOIP profiles, a USB monitor driver and my fax/scan software.

The bottom line is I don't want to carry five devices and all their cables.

Bruce

more cpu, more memory, a camera,... and the same battery. I hope that the battery live is like 770, otherwise it's a problem.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by BruceL
I don't understand not wanting to have a camera. Cameras are TINY! There is no weight concern. You have to carry a camera anyhow.
I have to carry a camera anyhow? I really don't have to, and don't want to. There is no use case where I could find any camera phone useful. If I want to take a picture, I want a proper camera; I want my phone to be four things:
  1. A device for having voice conversations with people far away.
  2. A device to sending short text messages to people to pick up when convenient.
  3. A device to managing my voicemail.
  4. A device to act as a high speed connection to the Internet when I've got my 770 with me.

This package should be as small and stylish as possible. A camera is most certainly not part of it.

Here is the choice:
2) 870
Except the "870" doesn't have a GSM/GPRS/UMTS component (quite rightly) so the actual choices are:
  1. 770 + phone (with camera)
  2. 870 (with camera) + phone (with camera)

I've been wanting to write a program that uses multiple passes of a web-cam to do high-res scanning and faxing/printer-copying. If the camera is of sufficient quality I'll probably take the plunge. Why have a separate (and not really portable) scanner/fax? I can take my entire office in my pocket unless I need scanning/faxing; then it's back to the luggable briefcase. YUCK!
A nice idea, but why not use the existing capabilities of the 770 to read images over Bluetooth from the paired phone's camera (if present)?

My wish list is:
Of course, without sacrificing battery life, size or weight. Not that they won't do this, but it smacks of the wanting the moon on a stick!

I understand that people dislike RS-MMC, but it doesn't bother me. Having now got a 1GB RS-MMC card, I wouldn't want to have to replace it for use with the next device.

EDGE is just GPRS+ or UMTS-, so is a technical dead end. As I said above, it's been clear why - from business and tarket market use-case points of view - they've no interest in adding GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS. As for WiMAX, I'd be surprised - there don't seem to be any large usages - but I could be wrong.

Indeed, that's a killer.

Effectively, then, something with the power to afford the flexibility of a full-blown desktop computer, with the comparable computing power and expansion options. In a device smaller than an A6 piece of paper, which is lightweight and costs around £250.

I agree it'd be nice, but so would winning the lottery!

Cheers,

Andrew

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by BruceL

Here is the choice:
2) 870

My wish list is:
camera (3 to 5 mega pixels with internal optical zoom)

I would like a keyboard and better battery if they add no weight/size. (A built-in laser virtual keyboard would be amazing!)

I would like software for PRINTING!, bluetooth steero/VOIP profiles, a USB monitor driver and my fax/scan software.

Bruce
You don't get it - the key to having a good internet tablet is knowing what to leave out. Try to do too much and you lose mobility.

Printing and better file-sharing are a must for the success of these devices. An internet device is only as useful as its interoperability with the rest of the world. These features are just a matter of software so I don't see them as a big hurdle.

Come on, Nokia, get on the ball!

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
I think the real question is being avoided at this point. What does everyone think the price of this thing will be? I say $400. I'd pay that if it's smaller than the 770, the cpu is a little faster, it has a little more memory, and if that really is a camera. If any two of these turn out to not be, I think I'll wait for the next one to surface and stick with the OS updates for the 770.
3pm - So good, it's illegal