Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

I wouldn't count on cable "magic" It's just, that for a while, connection is better.

Really, don't wait until it fall off. solder it if You wish, or go to Nokia care, but whatever You do, do it fast. You'll spare yourself many possible problems

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
I have a Nokia N900 with a broken USB connector (2 weeks ago). Now NITDroid (with Android 2.2) boots but the red light blinks, the battery indicator shows it is empty even if it is 100% full, and it turns off in less than 10 seconds.

So : if the USB connector is broken, is it impossible to use NITDroid on Nokia N900 ???

I have bought a cheap Nokia X1-01 which has the same N900's battery so I can charge & exchange the battery to use on my N900.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
The good news is that I had a call today from Nokia to say that they have repaired my N900 rather than replace it (yeh!), and that I will have it back tomorrow (double-yeh!!)

Can't bl00dy wait!

Although a small part of me was looking foward to something like an N8 so I could discover it and apps....

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Although a small part of me was looking foward to something like an N8 so I could discover it and apps....
With your long Maemo user history, I don't suggest any Symbian, iOS or Android for you. Keep you N900 well safe. Or add a Nokia N9 + Bluetooth keyboard to complete the Maemo family.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
With your long Maemo user history, I don't suggest any Symbian, iOS or Android for you. Keep you N900 well safe. Or add a Nokia N9 + Bluetooth keyboard to complete the Maemo family.
we have an E7 and an N8 already in the family, and although the honeymoon period with a new device would have interesting, I am fully aware that there is no substitute for the N900. Now it's coming back it will be with me until it turns to dust!

Unless there are still N950's going begging and I can fib Nokia that I am a developer!

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

I though, that "discover it and apps" was pure irony. To be honest, I still hope so

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Jersey, Channel Islands
I had problems with my USB port the last phone.

RMA back to nokia and after much chasing finally got a replacement n900. New n900 is great I plan on epoxying the port this time.

Suggest that anyone with this problem get onto the nokia support site and check if your device is covered under warranty ASAP even if purchased 2nd hand.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Arctic Circle / Finland
Argh!! USB port from my n900 snapped off totally. Already had it repaired under warranty about year ago but now i guess its useless cos warranty ended last december. Have to go and ask Nokia if they are willing to do something for it even warranty has expired.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Jaekaelae View Post
Argh!! USB port from my n900 snapped off totally. Already had it repaired under warranty about year ago but now i guess its useless cos warranty ended last december. Have to go and ask Nokia if they are willing to do something for it even warranty has expired.
and you didn't consider soldering it down.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Hi guys, don't beat me up over this for not preventing it, but I believe my N900's USB port has gone.
A while back, I noticed that my wall charger's plug was rather loose and it would wiggle. I thought it was normal since i'm used to some USB plugs being loose in other devices. (I never realized it or cared too much of it, but I realize now that my phone would have to have the plug a certain way to get a charge). Fast forward a good few months, and my USB cable would get very touchy with charging (even touching and moving the cable slightly would get a charge-notcharging-charging sound quickly as the cable would move.
Then, one night I woke up and saw that my phone didn't charge, thought nothing of it and simply switched to my PC's cable, it worked, but after several days I would only get the orange strobing light but it would barely charge. Now, it won't even realize that it's plugged in. I think the USB port might be slightly crooked too.
I have been considering a second battery and external desk charger, as well as the Duracell or powermat wireless charge options (would these even work with it?) as well as sending it in to Nokia. Only problem is that the warrantee might possibly be up. Think I should call anyway? If it is possible to send it in, would there be a way to keep my exact phone, instead of Nokia just sending me a replacement?
I look forward and greatly appreciate your guys' feedback, I need the phone for work and I can't exactly afford a shiny new N9, or a new N900, I'm reluctant to send it in, but if I'm able to and I have to, I will, but I want to know what you guys think first. Thanks!

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty