Notices

Repository is up again!

The Following User Says Thank You to ConiKost For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Just seen this. I bought Sygic whne it emerged. The latest version 10 was an embarrasing pile of pooh. A typical hour long journey involved the application crashing 2-3 times. Signal getting lost and never re-connecting unless app was re-started. Re-starting it required stopping that car as there are two or three screens to get through,

Then there is the routing. OMG, it took me down unmade roads and accross fords and was frankly useless if driving in rural locations. A recent journey involved it taking me round in a big circle of urban roads TWICE only to appear in at the same spot.

I now have it running sometimes just for fun to see how convoluted a route it would take me on for journeys I am familiar with. I even paid for the traffic add on, what a waste of money.

I've gone back to using my Tom Tom
I actually gave Sygic a chance on my Samsung Galaxy Tab. There were some things I really liked (nice big icons, big text, nice layout, very understandable voices, etc) and MANY things I really hated (routes were terrible, the traffic updates were often wrong, it almost never knew which way I was facing--clearly not using the hardware compass in my tablet, there was only ONE voice for US and it was incredibly annoying--in fact, just about every voice recording was obnoxious, it absolutely TOOK OVER the system and ruined multitasking, it also lacks an option to allow the Android OS's notification/status bar at the top to remain there in case I needed to access it--it was awful!, etc.).

I think overall I was left with the sense that this was a mapping application with a LOT of great potential, but none of it realized. Ultimately, I went back to Google Maps and found that it felt far more responsive, better written and most importantly, provided me with a far more direct route while accurately avoiding traffic hold-ups (a recent feature!).

I'm assuming it probably looks and operates the same way on the N900?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
when sygic works(ed) on the n900 it worked well. nice easy interface etc. routing seemed fine to me, directions etc were ok. it even pauses and unpauses the music playback tidily

problem is that for me it often doesnt work, or hangs or randomly loses the gps signal. loss of the gps signal is not the os or the hardware cos i can fire up nokia maps and have an instant lock.

i have found sygic to be too unreliable for day to day use. thankfully i took advantage of an offer and got it cheap so it didn't cost me loads.

trying to get the voices working with nokia maps, but would really like traffic on there as well. wife's due a phone upgrade soon so ki may steal her N97 for the maps.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Yeah on the N900 Sygic crashes from time to time, and more annoyingly stops updating the position (need restart). Apart from that, I have found it to be on par with dedicated gps software/hardware.

If your copilot knows how to restart sygic on a N900, you absolutely fine.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I have tried Sygic on the Galaxy Tab, and the maps are evidently more recent than the last one I got with my registered N900 version.
I paid good money for that.
Sygic should update the N900 maps asap if they want to be fair. If they don't want to be fair, I won't either.

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Which version did you have on the galaxy tab? I guess it runs on Androids.

If there is a way to use the android version file on Maemo, that would be cool.
I also paid for it last November and I am actually happy with it. How ever If I dont get what I pay for, I am getting angry.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
Which version did you have on the galaxy tab? I guess it runs on Androids.

If there is a way to use the android version file on Maemo, that would be cool.
I also paid for it last November and I am actually happy with it. How ever If I dont get what I pay for, I am getting angry.
Sygic gps navigation 11.0.1.
On the android device, the maps directory has .cam and. pak files like the maemo version, plus many other files. I will try to graft android's cam & pak files to maemo and I'll report the results.

EDIT: didn't work Android pak and cam files aren't read by maemo application.

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-06-19 at 06:46.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
ok, what choises do we have now? sygic aside

Best free open source app is Modrana imho. But needs to be online for showing maps and downloading routes.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, goodbye sygic