Active Topics

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by maykon-de-angra View Post
View a photo to the gallery of photos, it displays in 16bit
And the image display on the desktop, or videos he shows up at 32 or 24 bits.
How did you reach this conclusion? Most likely explanation for any differences is that the desktop and video player do dithering, while the photo gallery (for some reason) does not. Try taking (lossless) screenshots of a color gradient on both and compare those.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Therefore, it is clear the N900's screen is capable of playing much besides just 65K colors!
No, all that shows is that the dithering on the desktop is far better than that in the image viewer (to the point where you can't see the any effects). You'd need to get a screenshot of that image, load it into a decent photo editor, and get a count of the number of different colour values (and that assumes that the screenshot is taken from the display post-processing).

Did downlaod the video that I mounted to test? http://rs465.rapidshare.com/files/37...test_Video.zip
This video is in 32 Bit Color

Image to 32 bits in color http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...1&d=1269562974.

See the difference! Take the quiz! Rotate Video in Windows Setup in 16bits

Then rotate Player Of The Nokia N900.

Soon after, Turn Video On PC With Windows running on 32bit!

The Comparable is that the video running on 16 bit Windows, you become like the image appears in the photo gallery of the N900.

And when we shot the video in Windows with 32bit, It is identical to the Video Video Player running on the Nokia N900. And the identical image appears on the Desktop Do N900.

Thus we conclude that the N900 generates images with more than 65K colors! No doubt!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Thus we conclude that the N900 generates images with more than 65K colors! No doubt!
No, we can conclude that dithering in 16-bit windows is poor, which is unsurprising as there's probably near-enough zero people who've ever used it. Anything else is still supposition.

Curiosity! I did a test using the Nokia 5800, it displays the image in your gallery with a definition of colors higher than in the N900!

nokia 5800 in the image Appears in 32bits!
The same image as the Nokia N900 appears in 16bits!

How do not understand how powerful a device Nokia N900, shows photos in only 65K (16bit) colors!

While the Nokia 5800 Display Images in 32 bits, or near!

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Here we go again... There is no such a thing as 32bit color depth on a monitor. None! Zip! Nada! Please, educate yourself: HERE.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
The Comparable is that the video running
on 16 bit Windows, you become like the image
appears in the photo gallery of the N900.
Nice haiku!

Didn't understand a thing unfortunately

Note that there's indeed a chance the media player uses a greater depth (the _media_ player, not the photo gallery nor the desktop background since both use the sgx).
I'd still like some kind of image I could use to test if the output is 16 or 18bpp.
I have quite a few things (let's say knobs) to test but as I said I have no way to tell if the actual output is 18bpp or the system is just lying to me.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-04-01 at 18:40.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
The Nokia Finland link translated to English:

http://translate.google.com/translat...ui&sl=fi&tl=en

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by Patola View Post
If I write /etc/X11/Xorg.conf with Depth 24, will it work? Is there any program like xrandr which can change the color depth on-the-fly?
Short answer, nope, it doesn't work - or at least it didn't for me. You'll end up in the good old endless reboot cycle : (

You probably don't want to be doing that.