Active Topics

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Yes, that's also why it may be good idea to flash just bootloader (if you can, linux flasher needed) and save yourself reinstalling everything
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...623#post144623

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Moreover it can be used as an excuse to clean up your tablet.
Sometimes I install applications to try them out and sometimes I forget about them or, while removing, something may be left behind.

Such updates are useful if you want to start fresh and install only what you need (until one starts re-installing useless stuff :P).

In this case its handy to configure a data only backup, so that the restore does not bring back all the applications there were already installed.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
The only thing I've noticed that in 50-2, when holding down power button, it would startup as soon as the led had finished rising (it wasn't in RD mode) but now in 51-3, the led rises and then goes off and then the N800 starts up.

BTW: Is it possible to use fanoush initfs & kernel on 51-3?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
BTW: Is it possible to use fanoush initfs & kernel on 51-3?
Yes, the fact that everything except the bootloader is same implies that. The fact is quoted by anidel above in post #19 and I can confirm that at least initfs is indeed the same (checked myself before the maemo.org announcement).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-02-22 at 11:56. Reason: in post #19

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Colorado, USA
My new N800 from TigerDirect had the power-up problem. OS2008 v2.2007.51-3 Firmware fixed the problem. I can power down and immediately power up.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
I'm having problems getting my Windows Vista laptop running Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard to see my N800. I start it up holding Swap and Power, the USB icon appears in the corner for a moment, the laptop makes the USB connect sound, and a moment later the USB icon disappears and the laptop makes the USB disconnect sound and the tablet continues powering up. The app says Device Not Found.

If I plug the tablet in via USB after it boots it sees both memory cards without issue as it normally would.

Anyone have any clues? I did some searches but didn't see something just like this. I've previously updated the tablet on a Windows XP desktop I no longer use.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
@InfinityDevil -- make sure that your device is not connected to the power charger when you power on the unit while holding down the swap key.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
It's definitely not on the charger when this happens.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Yes, that's also why it may be good idea to flash just bootloader (if you can, linux flasher needed) and save yourself reinstalling everything
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...623#post144623
+1

(saved all my settings and third-party apps - saving me *LOTS* of time otherwise spent in re-installing, re-configuring, etc.)

here's what i used on my ubuntu boxen for my n800:

sudo ./flasher-3.0 -F \
RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.51-3_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin \
--flash-only=nolo -f

:-)

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
After playing wait-and-see with the 51-3 OS version, I finally broke down and flashed it in.

Some behaviors noticed:

1. Phantom stylus touches and machine-gun touches decreased substantially. I wonder thought if maybe the touchscreen calibration not only senses location, but force as well? Too light a force makes it too sensitive and too hard a force makes it non-responsive?

2. microB browser now runs faster, but has problems with some javascript menu items on websites--a bit frustrating, but a thank-you to all the webmasters who build multiple access methods for site features.

3. The RSS feed reader bugs are still there--sometimes double-tapping a feed name will cause the application to close. Also it appears that the secondary window scrolling position is reset to the window position of the top level dual window screen when switching between them rather than remembering its own scroll position (an agravation).

I've been busy reloading 3rd party applications, but plan on taking it easy and not putting so many betas on my N800, hoping for better stability.

Other than that, it appears the 51-3 version is an improvement even if you haven't experienced the power on/off problems (which I haven't).