I'm confident this website needs another negative review like I need a hole in my head, but my vent is intended to seek help not besmirch the device.

I've had my phone since the December, the original launch I guess. Since then its been riddled with issues that made me realize why I never wanted to own a touch screen phone, however these issues are probably not common in any other touch screen phone. It seems as though the issues get worse and worse.

This recent issue is rather unexplainable. I use my N900 to listen to music while I drive or walk around, I hit pause when I'm done or pull out the headphones. During my finals I received a call from a friend right after I hit reject the song I was listening to started playing (this is not the first time this has happened but the most embarrassing).

The touchscreen stops working/responding. This is particularly annoying when waking the phone from sleep. But also when doing random things with the phone such as reading RSS feeds. I feel that this is part of a broader issue that I will be touching upon in a bit.

The issue is the lack of multitasking ability for a phone that can supposedly handle multitasking. I have loadapplet installed and it always shows the three full bars (left and right) with a flashing red one on the left doing fairly simple tasks. This leads to several problems.

One problem is answering phone calls. Just today I missed a call from a potential employer because my phone displayed an illuminated black screen while I frantically tried to hit where the answer button should be. After flipping the hold switch several times I finally got the screen to work but despite my efforts to repeatedly hit answer the call went to voicemail. This is not the first time this has happened but certainly the most infuriating. During this scenario I had a music player open without playing music, gPodder, RSS, two text message windows and an email notification, the phone had been sitting idle so there's no reason why it should have issues.

I'm not sure if this is part of the multitask issues but occasionally the touchscreen stops working and i have to put it on hold and take it off before it will respond to my touches.

An issue with MicroB is I continuously get those script errors which also slow down my phone and I always get those errors saying the website stopped responding would you like to close it? which gets annoying having to deal with.

I guess I'm a fairly fast typer but hate dealing with a lagging phone having to catch up with my keystrokes or miss some of them. But this is an issue I can deal with I guess.

Sorry for the long read/rant but I really want to like this phone but there are so many things that prevent me from doing so. Thanks for any help/advice.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fidel cashlow For This Useful Post:
i have had all the issues you have had at some point or another, but i have learned to live with them because they dont happen too often. but everything you have mentioned have had bug reports made and will be delt with in the next PR 1.2 release. the only question is, is when the hell will that be!?

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
and here we go again......troll-feeding and flame war in 3....2....1

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Adelaide, Australia
A+++ thread, will read again.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
If you'd want to throw it out of a windows why don't you mail it to me? I'd repay you with something else.

But if you still have hope on it, here's a list of solutions to your problem that I hope would help:

This recent issue is rather unexplainable. I use my N900 to listen to music while I drive or walk around, I hit pause when I'm done or pull out the headphones. During my finals I received a call from a friend right after I hit reject the song I was listening to started playing (this is not the first time this has happened but the most embarrassing).
Sorry my English is bad so I don't really understand the exact problem you've encountered. However, if you find it annoying having to hitting pause to stop the music, you may want to Install headphone daemon such that the phone is muted when our headphone is unplugged.

The touchscreen stops working/responding. This is particularly annoying when waking the phone from sleep. But also when doing random things with the phone such as reading RSS feeds. I feel that this is part of a broader issue that I will be touching upon in a bit.
For your information, I'm using PR1.2 (Hong Kong) but the touching touchscreen will not activate the phone when it's screen-locked. I'll have to press the power button to activate. This might not be the defect of your concern.

The issue is the lack of multitasking ability for a phone that can supposedly handle multitasking. I have loadapplet installed and it always shows the three full bars (left and right) with a flashing red one on the left doing fairly simple tasks. This leads to several problems.
I've not use the loadapplet but the OS is real multitasking, because I'm actually running my own stuffs I developed for my own use in the background and it runs fine. So I guess it might be the loadapplet misled you?

One problem is answering phone calls...
I'm sorry to hear that you missed an important business call because of the unresponsive of the phone function. However, have you considered reflash your phone to PR1.2? PR1.2 has more responsive phone function as far as I've been told.

I'm not sure if this is part of the multitask issues but occasionally the touchscreen stops working and i have to put it on hold and take it off before it will respond to my touches.
Again the phone has never responded to screen-touching when it's screen-locked. I'd like to know why it works for you before, though.

An issue with MicroB is I continuously get those script errors which also slow down my phone and I always get those errors saying the website stopped responding would you like to close it? which gets annoying having to deal with.
If you've problem with MicroB you might want to try out chromium and firefox, though I still think MicroB is the best for N900.

Hope this help.

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Your being the troll right now. The issues he meantion is genuine, and has been meantioned several times elsewhere on the forum. How about sharing your experience with the same issues he meantion, wich i know pretty much everyone must have experienced at some point..

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mthmob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit
what do you mean *want*? I did it once, well I have it in a leather case anyway so it doesnt count much.
I had once the music start playing, i found that somehow switching off the fm transmitter didnt put the speakers back on and the phone call enabled it.
touchscreen and battery life was a big issue, I have found this to be some app I installed, i have reflashed and only installed what i need and now its back to normal.

My advice is reflash and install apps one by one after testing the phone after each install...

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I think the OP about sums up most problems of the N900 at 1.1.1. I've suffered from all of these as well!

However, the "headphone daemon" is really worth the download as already suggested, and I would look into overclocking your device to 900MHz. Now please be aware of the things that could go wrong with overclocking (end of warranty, overheating, bricking, loopcycles), but stuff like calls coming through perform a lot better now with a little extra under the hood I've noticed.

It does seem, that sometimes core functions of the N900 seem more burdensome for the phone than having for example 60 webpages open in the background. For eg. if you have Modest, Calendar, a notification of an SMS, your phone might as well be bricked. At least this is my experience.

Apparently people are rather satisfied with their leaked PR 1.2's, so you could also just wait for that to come out.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Yes I have encountered similar performance and responsive issues. I have come to see my n900 as an expensive toy running really cool experimental software. There are so many benefits to the way maemo works and such a great community here. I am confident we will see a much more polished product in time to come. Hopefully with Android like flash 10.1 performance, I am disappointed we cant really view the whole web smoothly yet like some advertisements suggest.

Last edited by impaler; 2010-05-22 at 08:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to impaler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
sorry mate but...I'm having the same issues..and several more...don't know why you need to pull out words like 'troll' and 'flame war'...this is not apple discussions.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thats it! For This Useful Post: