Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Agreed. But the correction I struggle with (and the default Nokia camera does VERY well), is vignetting. Extremely difficult to iradicate that lighter centre of the pic.
Yea, it "haunted" me for ages too - until someone came with simple yet ingenious solution. The problem is caused by ultra-wide characteristic of our lens, and, surprisingly, method used for get rid of it for biiig DSLR wide lenses, works for us too. it is nearly impossible to get rid of while manually developing from RAW files, but simple, FOSS program "CornerFix" fixes that blue'ish vignetting automagicaly.

I can't find relevant TMO thread now, but just duckduckgo.com for "CornerFix", and you're home. I'm using it myself, and can confirm that it works for 100% - just like default Nokia raw developing. The best thing, is that it does is lossless'ly at RAW level - you put in a vignetted RAW, and get out another RAW, without vignette. Then, you can develop it whatever you want.

Only drawback is that, despite being FOSS it can't be compiled for N900 for some obscure reasons (I remember it vaguely - knowledgeable ones explained it in details, and it had something to do with it being written originally for Mac), so you need windoze or mac desktop for using it
---

I agree, though, that Nokia's automagic RAW developing algorithms are *very* good, in other parts too... It's pity, that they're (and always will be) closed source, as while doing it, Nokians have access to all data about camera module and lens characteristic. AFAIK, no one yet made effort to re-create perfect RAW developing template (for our camera characteristic) and share it with others. (BTW, no logical reason why Nokia is keeping it closed - it won't be useful for any other product, than 2 Nokia phones using this module type...).

As for me, the best I was able to get, were photos that have *some* aspects better than Nokia's photo (but others worse - easy to compare, if you instruct camera programs to save *both* RAW and jpg, at the same time). But, for doing so, I develop every photo by hand, focusing on aspects that I'm more interested in that particular photography.
---

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Well, it is something else then, as I was able to take 10-15 photos in a row, with both dspjpegenc and jpegenc.
But, should we use the "new" thing attached to your post (some fixes?), or is version from 720p thread still "best" one to use?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@Estel: works either ways, the difference with the lib on 720p thread is only the commit I posted, which is irrelevant to 720p playback/recording or whatever. It is only for dspipp which is not used by default AFAIK.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Really sorry but I couldn't get a definitive answer on this. I saw it was mentioned way back in the thread but didn't get what I thought was a clear answer. I am like one of the previous posters and like no Noise Reduction on my photos. It seems like camera-ui2 has a better system for noise reduction than the stock camera however I could be imagining it. Noise reduction (AFAIK) reduces grain at the expense of resolution. I used to own a digital camera that used to have no noise reduction and it produced a lovely grainy quality on black and white photos, much like a grainy film does. Anyway, is there a way short of using FCAM and processing the images by hand of removing noise reduction altogether? I tried using the built-in JPEG codec (the jpegcodec instead of the dspjpegcodec) and it seems to make the noise reduction worse.

Any ideas and apologies if this has been done before. Please also understand I've a couple of really bad experiences with FCAM and the like with lockups needing reinstalls and so forth..

Thanks in advance for any replies

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to independent For This Useful Post:
Posts: 215 | Thanked: 448 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Burgas, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Nope, the "best photo quality" we can achieve with camera-ui2 is by using "r" on keyboard, and saving them as RAW
Tell me how the RAW capturing on N900 is any good for the average user? The need to fix the light center? The need of post-processing to achieve the needed result?

Dont answer those questions cuz there are no reasonable answers to them and please stop talking 'against' me, ty

Last edited by tanago; 2013-07-20 at 15:15.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tanago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by independent View Post
Anyway, is there a way short of using FCAM and processing the images by hand of removing noise reduction altogether? I tried using the built-in JPEG codec (the jpegcodec instead of the dspjpegcodec) and it seems to make the noise reduction worse.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but AIUI, noise reduction is applied at RAW -> JPEG developing oh photos, so if you use fCam's RAW (or camera-ui2 RAW's), you got photos without it. Then, using UfRAW (or any other RAW developing software you feel fancy), you may just *no* apply noise reduction.

Originally Posted by tanago View Post
Tell me how the RAW capturing on N900 is any good for the average user? The need to fix the light center? The need of post-processing to achieve the needed result?

Dont answer those questions cuz there are no reasonable answers to them and please stop talking 'against' me, ty
Stop asking question, if you're dead to answers, at the very point of asking. If it's meant only to boost your ego, you could save it for yourself.

Anyway, your logic is "astonishing" - average user doesn't need RAWs, but he need 3-5 MB JPEG files (change from 95% quality to 100% quality for JPEG), without *any* benefits perceivable by naked eye? Really?

I imagine *most* N900 users as something more than ego-monkeys, who doesn't know how to use RAW to get photos developed the way they like it - yet, like to have 10x bigger JPEGs just for sake of using more space and feeling "I'm more cool, I got display called retina same quality photos that *must* be better, because they're bigger-sized jpeg's".

If you would do at least basic research (aka "read manual" ) before posting your "awesome" advices, you would realize, that setting JPEG quality to 100% is as brainless as it gets - it turns out all JPEG optimizations, at the expense of file size, without *any* real-world gains.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
@Estel thanks for the feedback. When these threads get long I generally don't read them. I don't even really know the capability for camui2 (not read the manual so to speak). Yeah, just non noise reduced jpegs interest me. Many body of my quesion was really about is there a different level of NR on camui2? Or is it adjustable beyond processing a raw file.

The Following User Says Thank You to independent For This Useful Post:
Posts: 215 | Thanked: 448 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Burgas, Bulgaria
Ok, I will have to explain like i'm explaining to retrds

Stop asking question, if you're dead to answers, at the very point of asking. If it's meant only to boost your ego, you could save it for yourself.
I asked un-answer-able just to point your pointless logic

Anyway, your logic is "astonishing" - average user doesn't need RAWs, but he need 3-5 MB JPEG files (change from 95% quality to 100% quality for JPEG), without *any* benefits perceivable by naked eye? Really?
My logic?! l.o.l. that was funny... Tell me
situation1:you need to capture something instantly how fast and optimal it will be to:
need to open the shutter, launch the camera, open the keyboard, press r, focus if needed and after that whole procedure actually snap a photo?
situation2:you take a photo and you want to show it to smb.: How? the need of post-processing is simply limiting you.

then again for the jpeg quality read my previous post, Nš1003, where i very carefully explained jpeg quality so everybody can pick the best that suits them, aaand i dont think that 5mb per photo is too much when you have 32gb in a N900 and space for additional memory

I imagine *most* N900 users as something more than ego-monkeys, who doesn't know how to use RAW to get photos developed the way they like it - yet, like to have 10x bigger JPEGs just for sake of using more space and feeling "I'm more cool, I got display called retina same quality photos that *must* be better, because they're bigger-sized jpeg's".
RAWs for me are for 'show-off' persons, look my phone can capture raws, N900 is not a photocamera, its purpose is snap-and-go.

If you would do at least basic research (aka "read manual" ) before posting your "awesome" advices, you would realize, that setting JPEG quality to 100% is as brainless as it gets - it turns out all JPEG optimizations, at the expense of file size, without *any* real-world gains.
my advices are for the everyday user, who wants to enhance the fast methods of doing something, if you are not one, dont read my advices i dont make them for you to be happy, yes some people will prefer 100 quality than the default, actually my tutorial is to be able to change the default quality and not to set it to 100.

I was clear enough and i made my conclusion about you , i wont reply to your posts anymore

Last edited by tanago; 2013-07-21 at 07:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to tanago For This Useful Post:
play nice children

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
imagine the situation if you bot had pistols in hand btw we already have raw for better quality though its a nuiance to process them on and off device so we should try to achive the better snap and go quality for normal photos and people anyway i like raw but at times snap and go is better and would be much better if it can be alterd a bit

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
if you really want best picture on device without raw editing, you might want to look at porting some automated tools, similar to cornerfix suggested earlier, and make a scipt to batch process the files. the default camera setting is only applying a series of image processing algorithms, so if you can replace them with your own preferred set. string them together in the correct order and problem solved. not sure off top of head if imagemagick could provide some routines you may find helpful.

i'm getting sick and tired of some of the petty squabbles, less than helpful comments, put downs for suggesting ideas and trolling thats going on in certain threads. especially from some people I would expect better behaviour from. part of me really wants a dev only section that needs access rights given to individual users.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera-ui, fremantle