Notices

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
YOu can attatch gdb: run camera-ui and then gdb attatch $pid
this will give you some backtrace

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
with regards to the blessn900 pixels difference, one thing that comes to my mind is the issue with the blue camera shutter sides and the chrome surround. i would expect that the very extreme edges of the sensor would be more subjectable to the issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
YOu can attatch gdb: run camera-ui and then gdb attatch $pid
this will give you some backtrace
This is overcomplicated and not needed.

Estel (and the others), there is a very simple way to proviide useful information - install sp-rich-core along with syslog. It is my fault if I didn't say that earlier (though I think I did, but anyway). As soon as there is a crash, a coredump (and other useful things) is created and put in an archive to be provided to the developer(s).

Also, please install camera-ui2 from cssu-devel, I fixed what I think is a nasty "use after free" bug, which could lead to lots of various problems, including those intermittent faults you describe.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Thank you freemangordon, for your continued support of to the N900.
I am back on N900 from detour over Jolla and 808.

However I can't update anymore (on several devices I get the you need to take a backup / Nokia PC suite) due to confusion with the required repositories.
For months I don't find the time to dig into the long Thumb 2 thread.

So I stand with this person, asking for an overview of relevant repositories in one central place. Do you think that is a good idea?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=cssu+thumb

If it already exists please excuse me but I could not find it.

EDIT: got it nailed

Only enabled repo's

Nokia Applications
Nokia System Software Updates
Ovi
Maemo.org
Community SSU (testing)
Community SSU (thumb)
Maemo Extras

Checked "problems" on Thumb ubdate failures and discovered only one problem still remained: operator name applet <v3.0, luckily the update showed separately and once done prior to Thumb update, the Thumb update continued.

Boring story for most code vets but other regular users may benefit from the information.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2014-10-02 at 08:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Albania
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Re bugs, and my attempt to collect the and report *proper* way to CSSU bugteam:

I tried it on two devices, one my "usual" everyday one, (thumb), and one freshly flashed (inc. emmc vanilla, which shouldn't be relevant). The 2nd device used cssu-thumb, later I reflashed it to stock again and used cssu-testing, then repeated tests.

On all three devices, I got positive results (aka bugs present) with ALL things reported, at some point, in this thread - including, but not limited to:

*autofocus suddenly becoming slow

* autofocus getting stuck at focusing only up to some random value (for example, few-centimeters - no matter what scene we point it at. When it get's stuck, it clearly *changes* focus, but always device to end up at the same value. Interestingly, value changes between "stuck" accidents, but during same "accident", remains the same.

*camera-ui getting frozen during saving of video, resulting in broken .mp4 container.

*camera-ui crashing randomly

*camera-ui suddenly starting to fail saving most of pictures took

*camera-ui suddenly showing black viewfinder (with all UI elements as they should be, though) and seeming like it "lost contact" with camera hardware (pressing autofocus doesn't move lens, etc) - until restart

*just as above, but with addition of camera-ui window getting clones, and showing proper viewfinder in that clone

...etc. The problem is, that ALL of those issues are not clearly reproducible - they just happen, quite often (especially during longer photo or recording runs - think few hours), if anyone cares to search for them. (I haven't found similar problems in stock camera-ui, when trying to replicate them there).

Now, I wasn't able to find ANY way of getting meaningful logs/debug content from camera-ui. No one who I asked about - including this thread, camera-ui2 thread, and CSSU bugtracker (inside camera-ui reported bug) was able to point me how to get meaningful logs/debug info from camera-ui. I assume that it doesn't have ANY, accessible to average Joe.

This result in complete inability to post a meaningful bug report, that would be anything more than things commented as rants.

Due to this, I'm "officially" giving up on attempts to gather those bugs and report them to bugtracker - at least until some sane way of getting debug output is introduced into camera-ui. If someone more knowledgeable is willing to pick it up, be my guest - it's not a full "rage quit", it's just fact that spending a total of ~90 hours of chasing those bugs, experiencing them, but being unable to report them in a way meaningful to maintainers is too frustrating.

Maybe things like attaching gdb or whatsnot would help, but I have no clue about such things ATM (to the point that I don't even know if it's relevant to this case), and I already spent too much time on this, getting only "worksforme and my girlfriend" answers - despite that reports about camera-ui2 being substandard are numerous (and the links just show a small bite of them).

For now, I'm using a simple hack to have camera-ui (vanilla) for everyday functionality, and run camera-ui2 manually, when I need higher quality video recording (and it's not so important, so I don't fear that it might get corrupted at saving), or some nice functionalities that camera-ui2 offers, like manual focus.

/Estel
Can you share the simple hack that you made for using camraui2 and stock camera

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UJKU For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
This is overcomplicated and not needed.

Estel (and the others), there is a very simple way to proviide useful information - install sp-rich-core along with syslog. It is my fault if I didn't say that earlier (though I think I did, but anyway). As soon as there is a crash, a coredump (and other useful things) is created and put in an archive to be provided to the developer(s).

Also, please install camera-ui2 from cssu-devel, I fixed what I think is a nasty "use after free" bug, which could lead to lots of various problems, including those intermittent faults you describe.
thanks - indeed you have forget to say it (or I have missed it, somehow), it should make things a LOT more meaningful. Time to [/rant] and get back into [debugging], I think*... I'll install version from devel ASAP. noticed it few days ago, but I thought it's minor update and haven't detected that it could leak other problems (at least, from the changelog).

BTW - the rich coredump will help if I reproduce crash, but still, how to properly get debug info for (much more common than crashes) various strange non-crashing issues, if they would be still present, despite -devel update? Maybe some logging/output functionality could be provided to camera-ui, in the form of update? Unless there are better options, of course.

Originally Posted by UJKU View Post
Can you share the simple hack that you made for using camraui2 and stock camera
(writing from memory, as I've done it some time ago, and ATM I've booted [not "easy"] debian on my main N900, doing something in the background):
Nothing special, I just copied CSSU'ish camera ui things to camera-ui2 name, dpkg -i vanilla camera-ui, and manually created desktop file to conveniently launch camera-ui2. I don't remember if I hit any problems with that (so if yes, they must have been easily solvable) - the only thing that might needed tweaking is osso service file to run vanilla camera-ui (shouldn't be required, if CSSU camera-ui uninstalls cleanly) and maybe messing with control file of some package to satisfy dependencies (also shouldn't be required, if dependencies aren't artificaly required).

Of course, you also need to get rid of mp-fremantle-community-pr dummy package, or change it's dependencies.

BUT, considering that there is reported a way to debug crashes (and I hope that there will be a way to get debug from other "accidents", soon) and developer's will to fix it, I strongly recommend to "suffer" a little with CSSU'ish camera-ui and help making it better. It *really* offers great advantages over vanilla camera-ui, and if we can make it stable, it's worth all debugging in the world.

/Estel

*I do admit that I was a little "screw it all" attitude yesterday - after spending 10 hours straight, fixing problems that arose on my desktop Debian after upgrade, due to SCREWED systemd-related things (even though I don't use systemd for init - just shitty systemd-shim, to satisfy some fckin' dependencies and functions). Well, at least it's working, now (with some packages from unstable and some older ones from debian snapshots...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
BTW - the rich coredump will help if I reproduce crash, but still, how to properly get debug info for (much more common than crashes) various strange non-crashing issues, if they would be still present, despite -devel update? Maybe some logging/output functionality could be provided to camera-ui, in the form of update? Unless there are better options, of course.
My gut feeling tells me that there is a bug that sometimes leads to crash and sometimes not (similar to "use after free"), and that that bug is not necessarily in camera-ui2 itself. Having a coredump from such a crash is way more easier and (usually) brings way more information (even if the crash happens rarely) than putting g_debug() in every function camera-ui2 consist of. Not to say that UI (camera-ui2) is the cherry on the top, there is a pile of libs involved as well. Also keep in mind that adding such log capabilities will change the memory layout of the application, so it may become impossible to recreate the crash or instabilities.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Did anyone manage to get a coredump of a crashing camera-ui2?

Community SSU developer

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Did anyone manage to get a coredump of a crashing camera-ui2?
I'm not using the N900 atm due to the battery life problems, if I solve it, I'll give a try.

Anyway, I used to have sp-rich-core installed, but despite the (core dumped) messages no file was created in MyDocs. How to properly setup and configure sp-rich-core?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I'm not using the N900 atm due to the battery life problems, if I solve it, I'll give a try.

Anyway, I used to have sp-rich-core installed, but despite the (core dumped) messages no file was created in MyDocs. How to properly setup and configure sp-rich-core?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...5/sp-rich-core

Community SSU developer

Tags
camera-ui, fremantle